Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30460 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »
This is probably the highest level of modeling. Im very impressed.

Regards
Lukasz

That is very generous of you Lukasz, much appreciated. Just don't look too closely! ;)

I haven't got much done this weekend due to the need for a supply drop from the model shop and playing cricket (very,very badly) all day Saturday. I did have enough styrene channel to complete the starboard lower wing today. It doesn't look like I have done much at all but it took hours.

Wing structure progress by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I clipped the ribs where he ailerons go after adding the trailing edge strip from 0.5mmx1mm styrene strip which was also used to add the riblets. Hopefully more brass tube and styrene channel will arrive tomorrow so I can get on with the rest of the wings. I won't skin them until I have made the cabane struts, and done all the necessary test fitting. It isn't very clear how long the cabanes are in the plans so I may need to do some maths, or just guess and make the struts a suitable length.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend, thanks for your interest.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »
That is quite a complex piece of plastic engineering Richie and you have produced a first class wing section. I am waiting with interest to see ow well the plastic covering will go over this structure to get the see through effect that you desire.

With reference to the cabane struts, my experience is to estimate by eyeball and make them a little too long: they can then be trimmed to the required length when the upper wing is ready to fit in place. I assume that you know the correct length of the wing struts in which case fitting the cabanes would be straightforward.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2023, 11:06:58 PM »
Many thanks Stephen, I too am very looking forward to seeing how it looks covered and painted. My delivery of brass and styrene bits and bobs just arrived so hopefully it won't be too long  a wait.

Good advice as ever, that sounds like a very practical way to approach the cabane  struts problem.

Richie

Offline Boch

« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2023, 05:04:58 AM »
I love the sight of the ribbed wings. It looks beautiful.

Lukasz

Offline RichieW

« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2023, 07:25:50 AM »
I love the sight of the ribbed wings. It looks beautiful.

Lukasz

Thanks so much Lukasz, unfortunately I had a bit of a nightmare today, I found I had made a few errors in the placement of the ribs. Crucially the ribs that take the struts, in trying to correct it the wing got destroyed.

I'll just look on this one as a test run and start again, sadly I was unable to salvage the ribs so will have to make a new set. The good thing about scratch building is that i haven't ruined an expensive kit and can replace what was list. I will do a better job next time!

Richie

Offline Borsos

« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2023, 11:03:37 PM »
Oh, what a pity!
I personally don’t have too much experience with scratchbuilding; the only model I have build from scratch yet was a 1:48 scale Nieuport 12. I had made the wings out of some layers of solid plastic sheet.
In the beginning everything looked acceptable but half a year after finishing the model the wings started to bend and became banana-shaped in the end. What I be want to say: I think the wings on an airplane are the most demanding task when scrachbuilding!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2023, 12:13:19 AM »
Oh, what a pity!
I personally don’t have too much experience with scratchbuilding; the only model I have build from scratch yet was a 1:48 scale Nieuport 12. I had made the wings out of some layers of solid plastic sheet.
In the beginning everything looked acceptable but half a year after finishing the model the wings started to bend and became banana-shaped in the end. What I be want to say: I think the wings on an airplane are the most demanding task when scrachbuilding!
Andreas

Thanks Andreas, and what a pity your wings became banana shaped too! I remember a wonderful diorama you made called "It's going to be a bloody April". I have been searching for it without success, do you have a link to it you could post? I really enjoyed seeing that one.

I agree about the wings being the most challenging part. I'm finding it is needing total concentration. I think I have the frame of both lower wings made now and am working on the ailerons. Here is a picture of the rear mount of the lower wing being glued in place using the wing frames as a jig to place it correctly;

BE2c 1/32 scratch build by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I am hoping that a 0.8mm rod slid into the brass tube spars will help stop the wings drooping over time. I'm glad I didn't have a clue how demanding this project was going to be before I started. It would have scared me back into building 1/72 Airfix Spitfires!

Hopefully I can show an update in a week or two of a decent set of wings but I have a horrible suspicion it might take quite a few attempts to get right.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2023, 12:27:29 AM »
It is a shame about the wing Richie! Like I said earlier, I am sure you will end up where you want to be on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2023, 12:53:54 AM »
Thanks Andreas, and what a pity your wings became banana shaped too! I remember a wonderful diorama you made called "It's going to be a bloody April". I have been searching for it without success, do you have a link to it you could post? I really enjoyed seeing that one.

Thank you for your interest, Richie! Is it that one? https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10869.msg199927#msg199927
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #279 on: May 19, 2023, 02:27:30 AM »

Thank you for your interest, Richie! Is it that one? https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10869.msg199927#msg199927

Yes. that's the one, I love it! I remember seeing it shortly before I joined the forum I think. It blew my mind then and ows my mind still. Thanks so much for posting the link, that is some miraculous model making!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #280 on: May 19, 2023, 02:30:29 AM »
It is a shame about the wing Richie! Like I said earlier, I am sure you will end up where you want to be on this one!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, much appreciated. I'll get there in the end even it takes another year! :)

Richie

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #281 on: May 19, 2023, 02:58:15 AM »
Fantastic work Ritchie. The wing structure looks very nice and I’m glad to see you have a solid attachment to the fuselage.
Just wondering if you have any remnants of the damaged wing to practice your skinning on?  It would be a shame to have to replace the attached wing if there was an error!   
All the best,
Tim

Offline RichieW

« Reply #282 on: May 19, 2023, 03:05:50 AM »
Fantastic work Ritchie. The wing structure looks very nice and I’m glad to see you have a solid attachment to the fuselage.
Just wondering if you have any remnants of the damaged wing to practice your skinning on?  It would be a shame to have to replace the attached wing if there was an error!   
All the best,
Tim

Thanks Tim, that's a good idea but the wing got pretty much wiped out. I have a few rejected ribs I could thread onto the spars though. In fact that's a great idea because I could also practice adding rigging attachment points and control horns. This scares the living daylights out of me!

Richie

Offline DaveB

« Reply #283 on: May 19, 2023, 03:11:43 AM »
Good progress and excellent work on your wings, Richie -

Lets hope your idea of using a spar will stop the wings from drooping.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Borsos

« Reply #284 on: May 19, 2023, 06:19:01 AM »

Yes. that's the one, I love it! I remember seeing it shortly before I joined the forum I think. It blew my mind then and ows my mind still. Thanks so much for posting the link, that is some miraculous model making!

It makes me very happy that you like it!
Andreas
Barbusse.
Remarque.