Author Topic: 1/32 BE2c  (Read 30451 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: 1/32 BE2c
« Reply #285 on: May 21, 2023, 03:34:58 AM »
The lower wing structures are finally made. I rushed the ailerons a bit and as a result the ribs are a bit out of square, not by a huge amount but enough to notice so I will have to remake them. I can use these as skinning practice so all is not lost.

I am feeling a bit clumsy today so will not attempt a test fitting for fear of the likely carnage that it might bring.

BE2c lower wings by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I added the rigging with 0.2mm nickel silver rod, these were glued into slots cut with a long razor saw to help get them lined up properly. Making the wing structures is proving to be far more difficult for me than I imagined, I am struggling! There is still plenty of work to do on these then I will have to repeat the whole process for the top wing. I am enjoying the difficulties and have plenty of patience left in the tank, hopefully the experience will make me a better modeller.

Thanks for looking
Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #286 on: May 21, 2023, 07:49:40 AM »
Those lower wings really look the part Richie. I do hope that when you come to skin them you do not make a mess of them...

I think that if we knew beforehand what problems we would have to overcome when building many models, many of us would never start. But we do have the satisfaction of knowing what we have done when a model is finished - and to me at least that is what makes our hobby so satisfying.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #287 on: May 21, 2023, 06:23:37 PM »
Those lower wings really look the part Richie. I do hope that when you come to skin them you do not make a mess of them...

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, I suspect I hope more than you that I don't mess them up in the skinning process! If the worst comes to the worst I can always make some more. Accidents are much cheaper in scratch building compared to ruining a kit....something I have much experience of!

Richie

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2023, 10:12:33 PM »
I think you are on the right track here Richie. The wing looks the part.

Redoing the ailerons would not be too difficult, and my I experience is that the second (or the third, or the fourth) time over, the result is faster and better.

Your picture reminded me not to forget the false ribs on the wings…

Cheers,

Willem

Offline DaveB

« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2023, 06:19:53 PM »
Impressive work as ever, Richie -

This shows serious promise now of being a real stunner when complete

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2023, 06:58:29 PM »
Thanks Willem and Dave, I might skin the wings sooner than planned because I'm eager to see them completed. I'll need to sort the dihedral and mounting points first. Hopefully they will look good and give me the mojo boost I need to tackle the top wing.

Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2023, 01:05:06 AM »
The wings look Fantastic Richie! I am looking forward to seeing them Skinned!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #292 on: May 23, 2023, 05:31:42 AM »
RAGIII

Absolutely! Me too!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #293 on: May 23, 2023, 06:39:37 AM »
RAGIII

Absolutely! Me too!
Andreas
RAGIII

Thanks Andreas and Rick.

I'm so sorry to disappoint but I had a bit of a disaster with it today. I tried skinning a wing and it did not go well but from this defeat I know how to gain victory. I remain hopeful and have endless reserves of patience so will be back soon.

Richie

Offline Boch

« Reply #294 on: May 23, 2023, 07:09:17 AM »
It's a real miracle. The entire structure will look amazing with the hull. I keep watching and admiring.

Lukasz

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2023, 09:30:08 PM »
Those wings look just great Ritchie.  Sorry to hear about the first attempt setback.  Glad to hear it won’t deter your progress!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2023, 11:44:32 PM »
It's a real miracle. The entire structure will look amazing with the hull. I keep watching and admiring.

Lukasz

Thanks Lukasz, you would have been horrified if I took photos after yesterday's shocking performance!  ;)

Those wings look just great Ritchie.  Sorry to hear about the first attempt setback.  Glad to hear it won’t deter your progress!

Thanks Tim, even though I was really disappointed by the setback I learned a lot from it so it will be a valuable experience in the end.

Well I had a better experience this morning. The damaged wing frame was repaired succesfully and I got the other side skinned. The problem I had yesterday was that my intended material (Tamiya 0.1mm Pla Paper) is incredibly delicate and I skinned the underside first. This made it difficult to glue the more complicated shape of the upper surface. To make matters worse I had been using Plasweld on another part before skinning. I forgot to put the lid back on and when I opened the cellulose thinners bottle I absent mindedly dipped my brush into the wrong bottle and ended up with a lot of melted styrene.

Today I used Evergreen 0.13mm sheet, skinned the upper surface first and got a much better result.

BE2c wing skinned by Richard Williams, on Flickr

To avoid problems with the compound curve at the wing tip I skinned that last section with a separate piece. The rib texture is created by gentle pressure with a cotton bud over each rib.

BE2c wing skinned. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Even with soft, non directional light the wing is nicely translucent before painting although I can't see the rigging lines. Not a problem as careful inspection of reference photos suggests that they shouldn't really be visible.

I will let the glue on the repaired wing cure fully and might have time to skin it tomorrow.

Many thanks for your continued patience and encouragement in this long, slow project. I would probably have waved the white flag months ago without your interest!

Richie

Online RAGIII

« Reply #297 on: May 24, 2023, 12:53:00 AM »
The wing looks awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #298 on: May 24, 2023, 12:56:33 AM »
Bravo!  Looks like a real wing.   

Offline RichieW

« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2023, 01:12:13 AM »
Bravo!  Looks like a real wing.   
The wing looks awesome!
RAGIII

Thanks so much Rick and Tim, your kind comments have made all the frustrations of yesterday disappear. I feel fully motivated again now. :)

Richie