Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd SPAD XIII Early  (Read 16209 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Roden 1/32nd SPAD XIII Early
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 01:04:53 AM »
 :) , again because I just like to smile !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 08:43:17 AM »
I'm dipping into this thread waiting for the moment when you tackle the struts. To me, this is the test of a SPAD XIII kit...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline FAf

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2021, 06:41:04 AM »
Looking as good as all your other builds! My main issue with your (and everyone else's) builds is the temptation I'm subjected to... must not by more kits!
/Fredrik

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2021, 08:49:10 PM »
:) , again because I just like to smile !

Alexis

;D ;D

RAGIII

I'm dipping into this thread waiting for the moment when you tackle the struts. To me, this is the test of a SPAD XIII kit...

Richard

Richard,
I have progressed a bit but am trying to hold off posting until Lance and David put up their reviews. I will add that I think I have the cabanes in position and lined up properly. The engineering of the cabane fit seems better than the SPAD VII. We shall see  8)
RAGIII

Looking as good as all your other builds! My main issue with your (and everyone else's) builds is the temptation I'm subjected to... must not by more kits!
/Fredrik

Thanks Fredrik. As for inspiring work a certain FK8 comes to mind  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline MichaelStieber

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2021, 01:32:07 AM »
Thank you for this very interesting report  :)
Very impressing what you have done so far.
Greetings,
Michael

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2021, 03:05:46 AM »
I was going to wait a bit but since Ken is proceeding with his "Detailed" build I figured I should proceed with My almost OOB build log. I used paper, wire, and discs punched out of sheet styrene to fake some seat belts. I also managed to break loose the compass and of course lost it to the carpet monster. I used what I had and made another...a bit Hunnish but OH well. 

I added the decking to the cockpit then glued on the upper fuselage. I went against the directions and glued the engine covers on later. In retrospect I think following Rodens directions would have been a better choice. I ended up with a couple of minor fit issues up front, all My fault! The upper fuselage goes on well and is designed to match a feature seen on the real aircraft. ( A tape or metal strip running below the first rib up top.) The cabane struts fit nicely and utilize a small groove for the lower rigging attachment to help with alignment.

The landing gear has two issues. The "Framework" spreader bar and Roden designed the struts to fit on the outside of the bungees. I cut out the plastic blocking the struts from going to their proper location and will add details later. I also used paper cut to shape and glued to the spreader bar to cover the framework. Tamiya extra thin was applied and then when dry I brushed on thin Superglue.

After sanding I attached the gear to the fuselage and have begun to put on some paint.

Upper wing is not glued:

RAGIII

PS: The  Vickers Guns were a bit Anemic so I am using some from a WNW Camel. ( I will need to replace those when I build the Camel)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:29:46 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2021, 07:00:57 AM »
She is really starting to look the part with a bit of colour  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2021, 07:34:34 AM »
This is a very detailed account Rick. For an OOB build you are adding some important details which will certainly make a difference on the completed model.

Stephen.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2021, 08:13:28 AM »
    It's coming together very nicely Rick, that's great work on the gear and spreader bar and the interior as well. Well on the way to another spectacular model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline DaveB

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2021, 02:50:40 AM »
Good progress here, Rick -

Great to have your 'heads up' on problem areas - I will need this information when I finally get around to building mine.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2021, 03:11:09 AM »
She is really starting to look the part with a bit of colour  :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis!
RAGIII

This is a very detailed account Rick. For an OOB build you are adding some important details which will certainly make a difference on the completed model.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen. I have tried to keep the alterations to a minimum to show the kit built as Roden offered. Only instrument dials, seat belts, and bracing wires added. Fixing the gear was a must as well as removing the panel from the left side.
RAGIII

It's coming together very nicely Rick, that's great work on the gear and spreader bar and the interior as well. Well on the way to another spectacular model!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance! I am still looking forward to your view of the kit in the box!
RAGIII

Good progress here, Rick -

Great to have your 'heads up' on problem areas - I will need this information when I finally get around to building mine.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. One thing I am taking away from this build is Roden has for the most part done some good engineering. The landing gear being one exception. I don't recall if I mentioned that on My next SPAD XIII build I will only deviate from the instructions in one way. I will build the engine mounts first then construct the engine using the mounts to make sure the cylinder banks are properly aligned!
RAGIII

So now for a question. I have chosen to do B 3479 ( The first SPAD XIII delivered to the RFC. Although most are familiar with how it was marked in Feb 1918  while serving in 23 squadron it actually first served in 1917 with 19 squadron. ( June 9th through early Aug. About two Months) I have asked elsewhere and it seems there is No real info as to markings/ color scheme. Ithink it is safe to say that it would have been delivered in the "Yellow Period" scheme. ( End of May for tests before going to 19 squadron). My guess is at that time it would have been brought up to RFC standards, Lacing on the left fuselage for one thing. At some point in its career it received a PC 10 upper surface finish.

So what do you all think, Should I carry on with PC 10 for MY 19 squadron version? I figured I would add a white dumbell marking, the serial number, and call it good?
Thoughts, Opinions and wild A.. Guesses welocome  ::)

23 squadron profile found on a google search:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 01:50:03 AM by RAGIII »

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2021, 05:33:21 AM »
More good work, can hardly keep up !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2021, 09:24:58 AM »
If it was delivered in mid-1917, it almost certainly was yellow/biege and may have been left that color on the bottom.  I think it would look good in PC10.

I'll take your's and Roden's advice and glue the engine covers on the top of the fuselage before putting the top on the fuselage.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2021, 11:39:35 PM »
More good work, can hardly keep up !

Ed

Thanks Amigo!
RAGIII

Ken,

I also think PC 10 will be a nice change from all of MY other SPADs' so I think that is the way I am going  8) One note about the construction:

I placed the left fuselage in position over the interior and wing. Then I did the same with the right. Once all was in place I ran Tamiya Extra thin down the inside at the bulkhead then along the fuselage join. This made it easy to make sure the halves were lined up properly.  I varied from step 9 and glued the upper fuselage in place, then attached the engine covers. Step 9 in the directions shows attaching the engine covers to the upper fuselage First, then gluing to the lower portions. I think following the directions will help make sure the gun troughs and strut locations are all in the proper place. JMHO and I could be wrong  :o
RAGIII

PS: One other note is that I left the Fin and rudder as they were supplied in the kit. They are a bit thick but not much more than the SPAD VII or Hobby Craft XIII. My reason was that if I sanded them to proper thickness I felt I would also need to alter the rear fuselage and Horizontal Tail plane to match.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:53:21 PM by RAGIII »

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2021, 09:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the detailed account of putting the fuselage together.  I'm still thinking about how I will do it.  One thing I see when test fitting, if I match the upper sides to the width of the fuselage top, the instrument shelf falls inside the cockpit - it isn't quite wide enough to fit in place, but it's close.

Let us know about any further trials and tribulations.