Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd SPAD XIII Early  (Read 16475 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd SPAD XIII Early
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
Thanks for the detailed account of putting the fuselage together.  I'm still thinking about how I will do it.  One thing I see when test fitting, if I match the upper sides to the width of the fuselage top, the instrument shelf falls inside the cockpit - it isn't quite wide enough to fit in place, but it's close.

Let us know about any further trials and tribulations.

Ken,

The decking fit fine once all was glued in place.

So having decided this would be a "Test" of Roden in all aspects I decided to use the roundels from the decal sheet vs Masking and painting. I must say I was surprised at how well they adhered to surface details...Better than the Decals I used last year on My 3 x SPAD builds.  If the odd rippled white ink had been absent I would be tempted to say the decals are great. The roundels really look good in place. I did manage to screw up the left upper wing decal. MY OWN FAULT! I broke the aileron loose wile removing air/water from the decal. This caused a rip and forced me to do a bit of touch up. Later I slipped and sliced the decal at an angle.

I used a Dumb Bell marking from a Pheon Camel Sheet. It "Might" be too large but hell, who Knows  ;D
RAGIII

I also used Archer Lacing to add the details to the left side

« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:12:13 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »
it's looking more like a SPAD.
Have you thought about whether you will detail paint the louvre openings?
I haven't really found a good way to handle louvres.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2021, 10:10:06 PM »
Looking great.  Well done!

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 12:57:07 AM »
Hello, Rick,

Just visiting the Forum for a bit and came across your Spad XIII. Very well done for an "Almost OOB" build. I'll surely visit again to see your final result, which I believe will be quite a fine build. Best of luck as you progress, and "Best Regards!"  8)

Cheers!

TP
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 01:44:27 AM »
Having the markings in place really set of the scheme !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 05:27:34 AM »
Never mind the size of the dumbell Rick: the markings have turned this into a much more interesting scheme.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 05:50:14 AM »
Looking great Rick, getting the decals on has really brightened it up. Glad to hear they behaved well, this is good news all round!

I very much like the Archer stitching too.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2021, 01:36:49 AM »
it's looking more like a SPAD.
Have you thought about whether you will detail paint the louvre openings?
I haven't really found a good way to handle louvres.

Thanks Ken. As for the Louvres I will/ Have just used an oil wash so far. Not great but probably as far as I will go  ::)
RAGIII

Looking great.  Well done!

Thanks!
RAGIII

Hello, Rick,

Just visiting the Forum for a bit and came across your Spad XIII. Very well done for an "Almost OOB" build. I'll surely visit again to see your final result, which I believe will be quite a fine build. Best of luck as you progress, and "Best Regards!"  8)

Cheers!

TP

Thanks for Dropping by...and the comment!
RAGIII

Having the markings in place really set of the scheme !

Alexis

Thanks Alexis!
RAGIII

Never mind the size of the dumbell Rick: the markings have turned this into a much more interesting scheme.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen.
RAGIII

Looking great Rick, getting the decals on has really brightened it up. Glad to hear they behaved well, this is good news all round!

I very much like the Archer stitching too.

Richie

Thanks Richie. The archer lacing really is quite nice to work with. As for the Roden Decals they are improved. It is a shame that the printing is not up to standards!
RAGIII

Now for the latest Small update. I have added the wheels, They really are nicely done! I also finished up the Vickers with the PE parts and cocking handles. Some Oil washes have been started...still a lot to do. Finally the cover over the pipes has been glued in position.

RAGIII

PS: Looking ahead to the rigging I am thinking of trying Ceramic Wire. That being said I have No Idea on what size to use and where to order in the US. Any suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:01:10 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2021, 05:16:00 AM »
Weathering is coming along great so far Rick ! looking forward on seeing the wing mounted and the rest ! She is turning out to be a beauty so far ! :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2021, 11:44:36 AM »
Hello. Another masterclass build! Wow. I look forward to see the rigging and struts go in. Thanks again I will use this as a reference for my build.  :)   :D  8)
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2021, 09:41:12 AM »
Weathering is coming along great so far Rick ! looking forward on seeing the wing mounted and the rest ! She is turning out to be a beauty so far ! :)

Alexis

Thanks Alexis. Still lots of weathering to do!
RAGIII

Hello. Another masterclass build! Wow. I look forward to see the rigging and struts go in. Thanks again I will use this as a reference for my build.  :)   :D  8)

Thanks. I am sure you are also looking at Kens Much More Detailed build  8)
RAGIII

So, I could not think of any reason not to mount the upper wing. No issues were encountered, all lined up very well. I did notice after I took the photos that the left rear outer interplane strut was backwards...fixed after the photos!
RAGIII

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2021, 07:01:40 PM »
It's looking fine, Rick.  I'm glad to hear the upper wing went on without drama.  The cabanes and struts are all the correct length, then.

Offline William Adair

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
Looking good!  You make it hard to resist too.  I ended up adding CSM's Nieuport to my stash as a result of your earlier build.  I think you're about to do the same with this one too!   ;)

Offline DaveB

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2021, 10:29:23 PM »
Really pleased to see this kit goes together generally well, Rick.

Great to see the decals on and the wing mounted - looking good so far.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2021, 10:43:00 PM »
It's looking fine, Rick.  I'm glad to hear the upper wing went on without drama.  The cabanes and struts are all the correct length, then.

Apparently all struts are good! Like I said I had No Issues. If I had a biplane jig it would have been a piece of cake!
RAGIII

Looking good!  You make it hard to resist too.  I ended up adding CSM's Nieuport to my stash as a result of your earlier build.  I think you're about to do the same with this one too!   ;)

Thanks for the kind comments !
RAGIII

Really pleased to see this kit goes together generally well, Rick.

Great to see the decals on and the wing mounted - looking good so far.

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave!
RAGIII