Author Topic: Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Fokker E.V  (Read 2965 times)

Offline 2996 Victor

• Mostly over the Alpine Front
Re: Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Fokker E.V
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 04:07:42 AM »
Dear All,

just a quick update on the small amount of progress that I've made on the E.V while I wait for the Small Stuff engine (imminent) and PART interior etch.

The panel lines on the wing have been filled, scraped back and sanded to give an almost smooth surface:

My idea is to paint the wooden panels that skin the wing in slightly varying shades to represent the variations in the plywood, and then apply the camouflage over the top of that. My plan is to make masks using photocopies of the camouflage and markings diagrams in the kit instructions - by photocopying at 99% they diagrams match the wing perfectly. I'll cut out various panels on the copies and use them to lightly overspray the differing wood shades over the wing. Hopefully, you'll be able to see the filled panel lines on the wing and how they tie up with the diagram:

I'm afraid that's it for now. Hopefully there'll be some tangible progress before too long.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline ColonelKrypton

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 04:44:44 AM »
Mark,

Your approach to the Fokker E.V wing is interesting and I look forward to seeing the results of labour.

I have been experimenting with Winsor & Newton acrylics and oil paints using some simple plastic cutouts of the wing shape to try different ways of achieving that Fokker streaked look over plywood. I am finding that using the heavy body acrylics work just as well as using the oil paints and they dry much quicker but I am not done with my tests.  I have considered painting a simple plywood panel pattern on the wing first and also having a try using the Uschi wood decals. 

I had started my build with the intention of posting it's progress on Britmodeller in the High Wing group build but for a number of reasons I have set it aside for a bit mostly because I don't like to rush and the end of that group build is fast approaching.

cheers, Graham

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 05:29:35 AM »
Hi Graham,

many thanks for your post! I'm hoping my approach will work, but time will tell! I've a slightly left-field idea for the streaking, which I'll reveal as soon as I've had a chance to try it out on my paint mule. If that doesn't work out, I'll experiment with streaking acrylics, which are my usual paints anyway. So far, I've shied away from wood grain decals simply because it adds another thickness to the surface of the model.

I'd also signed up for the High Wing Group Build on BM, but in the end never began anything!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 03:14:22 AM »
The Small Stuff Oberursel arrived today - fantastic service, thank you Eugeny! - along with a twin and a Clerget 9Z.

Sorry the photo isn't very clear, but trust me, its very small and very detailed!

I've a feeling this is going to text my manual dexterity somewhat..... ;)

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Mark

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »
Very fine work and meticulous approach to the wing. It will be a beauty.
And the engine by Small Stuff will add a lot. I have two of their marvels in my older models - they are amazing products. Have you got a good magnifying glass? ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline 2996 Victor

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 09:26:02 PM »
Very fine work and meticulous approach to the wing. It will be a beauty.
And the engine by Small Stuff will add a lot. I have two of their marvels in my older models - they are amazing products. Have you got a good magnifying glass? ;)

Hi PrzemoL,

many thanks for your kind words, its hugely appreciated!

Unfortunately, I've not made a lot of progress on this little project, as I've allowed myself to be sidetracked into starting other things. These are a Matchbox Siskin IIIA and Boeing P-12E, and an Airfix (new tool) Gladiator Mk.II! Madness! I have, however, cut out masks for my attempt at spraying slightly different wood shades on the wing, which I'm hoping to get to soon. I'll post an explanatory photo in due course :)

As for the Small Stuff Oberursel, I'm awe-struck by its finesse and beauty, if one can say that about a resin miniature of an engine! I've recently bought some ready-made ready glasses of various magnifications, the strongest of which has me holding parts just millimetres from the tip of my nose. Hopefully, one of the less-severe magnifications will do :) (I'm also going to order Small Stuff's Pratt & Whitney R-1340 for the P-12E, although the crankcase will be covered of course).

Hopefully, I'll have some tangible progress shortly.

Cheers,
Mark