Author Topic: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair  (Read 12906 times)

Offline Pup7309

Re: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2020, 10:09:13 PM »
Nice!
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2020, 11:03:40 PM »
Lovely engine and Frank's statement about german rotaries clarifies something usually omitted or hidden in specific literature.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2020, 06:06:40 AM »
   Thanks for the comments Gents! I am overdue for an update as I plod along on this build. After some deliberation, information from several helpful Members and particularly a great photo I didn't have from RAG III and finally several comparisons and brain storming sessions with MGunns I decided on the final color scheme. I elected to go with the light yellow over spray on the upper wing, fuselage, and dorsal area with the latter and upper surface of the stabilator heavier to the point of a glossy solid finish per Rick's photo.. The background panels for the national markings were done in a solid dark green without the yellow over spray. I found a 20 year old bottle of Model Master Enamel #2106 "French Khaki" in the back of one of my paint drawers which proved a near perfect match to the dark green Aviattic stripes. Amazingly the paint performed like a new product!

The stripes show through the yellow more pronounced then the photos have captured.

Next are the struts and engine cowling which will be done in my own mix of "Jasta 11 Red" which I mixed up a few days ago, but I'll save that for the next update.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2020, 07:13:00 AM »
Looks really good Lance , once the shine is kick back a bit it will tie it together even better . Very nice results sir  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2020, 08:26:28 AM »
Looks Fantastic to Me Lance! On FB you would be accused of having Yellow Fever but I personally like your choices!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »
Thanks Terri and Rick!
Taking the shine down will be done very soon, along with a little weathering. I just discovered that I've lost a "piece of the piece" that was broken off the side coaming of the turtle deck  between the mid-wings in the box ...... another pop up distraction from progress that will have to be addressed! mNext on the construction schedule wiill be the guns; I'm planning to use the Czech Master jackets and barrels on that with the Kit breeches.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2020, 03:35:21 PM »
I think you nailed the yellow on the upper wing and fuselage surfaces.   Yellow fever must have taken root as it looks a lot like the photo's that you and I discussed.   Hope  you find the piece of the piece, it's gotta be there somewhere.   In the meantime, looking forward to the next update and the revealing of the red.  Triplane madness runin wild in the GWN!
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Monty

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2020, 04:54:38 PM »
It's looking really good, Lance! I do like your interpretation of the "yellow", if I ever go for this colour scheme (likely) I would do it that way... Regards, Marc.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2020, 12:28:05 AM »
Lance is this the piece of a part you are looking for?

If it is and you don't find yours I will mail it out to you. It is a bit worse for wear from the crash but should clean up OK.
RAGIII

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2020, 02:04:56 AM »
Rick,
   It's the one for the other side I've lost, the one without the empty casing chute attached. If you have it that would be great!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2020, 02:48:59 AM »
Rick,
   It's the one for the other side I've lost, the one without the empty casing chute attached. If you have it that would be great!
Cheers,
Lance

I actually have that piece also.. although it is still attached to the wing  ::) Let me know if you need the part!
RAGIII

I just re-read your post. Shoot me a PM with your address.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:54:14 AM by RAGIII »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »
Rick,
    Thanks very much for your very generous offer, as it turns out I found the little devil!

So, if you were Lance's missing part, where would you hide?? In the clamp the dolt put it in himself! There it was in the "clamp drawer " I obviously placed it in when tidying up the bench top! It's a good ending to a frustrating couple of hours. Now I can install the middle wing, get these parts attached and cleaned up prior to paint and all's well.
  I do have to Thank you again and remark on the helpful and generous nature of our Members, if only the world at large were so genuinely willing to help their neighbors ....... I help others when I can and am always amazed at how quickly a request for help here is met with unselfish generosity. We are fortunate to have the bond created by common interests and obviously values as well.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2020, 06:42:40 AM »
   I got the red paint on the parts and today some photos. The red I had read about called for 5 parts Tamiya X-7 Red mixed with 1 part Tamiya XF-9 Hull Red. I didn't like the results, the mix produced (to my eyes at least) a very nice brown color with little if any red effect. After a bit of trial and error I settled on one half the amount of the Hull Red, that is 10 parts X-7 to 1 part Hull red. The cowling and wheel covers also got a coat of AK 088 "Worn Effects chipping Medium over their aluminium and CDL base coats and were then "chipped".
   My camera shows the red much brighter then it is in the higher light areas but I like the real color. I'll be doing the Roden kit as 425/17 after this one and will use the same red paint. The first photo shows the true color pretty accurately (darker and a hint of brown) on the interplane struts to the right.

The AK chipping product is definitely easier to work with then the old "hairspray" trick!

That's where she presently sits. It's finally looking like it might get completed soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2020, 06:51:56 AM »
Wow Lance, you made a great progress with paint and decals!
That will be a colorful addition to your collection.

I do have to Thank you again and remark on the helpful and generous nature of our Members, if only the world at large were so genuinely willing to help their neighbors ....... I help others when I can and am always amazed at how quickly a request for help here is met with unselfish generosity. We are fortunate to have the bond created by common interests and obviously values as well.
Well said Lance!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2020, 07:39:30 AM »
I am glad you found the missing part Lance. It saved a bit of a wait from the US to Canada! Your red mix looks awesome to My eyes. I love the chipping. I really have to try that chipping medium someday!
RAGIII