Author Topic: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair  (Read 12872 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2020, 10:19:35 AM »
Glad to see  you found the part, right where you left it.  I do it all the time.  The red is looking good.  I like the chipping medium.  I tried to find it at Andy's last week, but no joy.  Looking forward to more updates.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2020, 01:23:12 PM »
Frank, Rick and Mark,
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, I feel dumb, but if you can't laugh at yourself  ...... and you know the rest! Things look a lot better tonight then they did yesterday!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2020, 06:57:15 PM »
Hey Lance , glad you found your part . I have done that many times before as well and I always fell just alittle stupid . Give my head a shake and have a v-8 !

Lovely job on the red and what is this AK chipping effect ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2020, 01:07:17 AM »
Hey Lance , glad you found your part . I have done that many times before as well and I always fell just alittle stupid . Give my head a shake and have a v-8 !

Lovely job on the red and what is this AK chipping effect ?

Terri

Thanks Terri.

This stuff is an acrylic fluid designed to replace the "hairspray" method of producing a chipped paint effect. The directions are on the bottle and I find it produces better results and is easier to use then hairspray. I got it from Sunward Hobbies on line. You can go all the way from a slight effect to the extreme after a bit of practice. I find the base coat under this stuff (I apply it by brush despite the directions calling for a couple of coats by airbrush) works best if a lacquer or enamel is used  as it doesn't get worn off like the final finish. So it's base coat of aluminum, wood or CDL, a couple of coats of this, final color in acrylic, and as soon as that's dry apply a water soaked stiff brush and chip away. You probably have to scratch the finish slightly to get it started. They sell a really effective version called "heavy Chipping" which I also like but you have to be really careful with it. The Camel is the Heavy chipping type in the following photos.

I really like both products.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2020, 01:32:50 AM »
Nice work on the paint job, Lance.  The red shade looks good.
I, too, usually brush on the chipping effects stuff, mainly because I only want to chip certain areas.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2020, 06:41:18 AM »
Thanks Lance , it is pretty much new to me ..I think I will have to try this out .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2020, 02:49:25 AM »
Hi Lance - just catching up on things and delighted to see how you are progressing on the build. It was interesting to follow some FB debate on the colour of the top wing on Lothar's triplane, with Greg VanWyngarden also chiming in. Glad you were able to make a decision and go with it - what you've done looks excellent so far.
Cheers,
Gary

Online lone modeller

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2020, 03:54:35 AM »
You have done a lot since I was last able to look in Lance.

I do like the yellow finish on Lothar's Fokker and the red on the second one. The chipping is also very good - I must remember that in future if I ever get around to a painted aircraft in 1/32 scale.

I would also like to echo your sentiments concerning the members of this forum - they are truly a most friendly and helpful group.

Stephen.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2020, 12:25:32 PM »
Great work!!

Steve

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2021, 12:52:39 AM »
   Thank you all for your comments. I'm afraid I've failed badly on keeping up a build log on this one; I completed it yesterday and will do a Completed Models entry later today. A very slow and interrupted Build it was, and not without a few challenges. Now it's onwards and upwards on the Roden version of this Kit which I'm doing as von Richthofen senior's all red 425/17. This Meng Kit is one I'd like to do again as I didn't find it as enjoyable as many apparently have, however I'm the first to admit that some if not most of the shortcomings I experienced were self induced!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2021, 12:55:42 AM »
From what is seen in this view it is Gorgeous Lance! Looking forward to the completed photos!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2021, 02:42:54 AM »
Stunning to say the least Lance , waiting on final pic's  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2021, 03:25:09 AM »
Rick, Alexis,  many thanks, you are both very generous! Final photos are done on Completed Models Thread.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2021, 03:34:03 AM »
That's a nice perspective to show a triplane with a wooden propeller and a lovely color mix!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Monty

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2021, 04:38:44 AM »
That picture shows a great Triplane, Lance! Well done, your comments on the Meng kit are a great help... Regards, Marc. (Love the Prop!)