Author Topic: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair  (Read 12873 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair
« on: November 02, 2020, 06:53:14 AM »
    After a longer then planned break in the realm of "Off Topic Builds" I've cleared off the work Bench and started the so called "Mengnut Wings" Fokker Dr.1 Triplane. I will be finishing this model as Lothar von Richthofofen's yellow over-painted 454/17. The title refers to the plan I have to follow this with the Roden Kit finished as the Red Baron's 425/17, the all red bird he was fatally shot down in and thus have models of both Brothers von Richthofen's aircraft. I already have the Baron's 152/17 in the display cabinet done with the Roden Kit.

I have acquired a large selection of excellent references over the years; here are the main titles I intend to use:

The Leaman book is an excellent publication in my view.

Lothar's red and yellow machine is illustrated on the cover of Albatros's excellent "Flying Circus" Publication.
    Here's the standard photo of the Kit in it's box, the wings and fuselage halves have been removed for trimming.

My Kit arrived with the common broken cowling piece and warped wings, both easily remedied faults. I'll be building it essentially OOB however I have both Gas Patch and Master Spandaus and the Aviattic resin cowling on hand as options if required. The Markings are fairly standard and I can source the Serials from Pheon's excellent Sheet No. 32002, Fokker DR.1's of Jasta II. Last, I plan to use the Aviattic Fokker Streaked Camouflage decals on this model.
   Finally, if I'm not "Fokkered out" by the time I complete the second project I hope to finish up with the Encore F.I done as the Voss 102/17 machine.
   More to follow soon!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

Re: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 07:01:44 AM »
Nice to see another Meng Tripe on the go Lance.

Looking forward to see what you make of it. I really enjoyed the build.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:58:34 AM »
I am really looking forward to your buid of this Excellent kit!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 12:05:01 PM »
Good choice of markings Lance:  I am looking forward with "great interest" as you work your way through this build.  I think the LVR scheme is especially attractive on this aircraft and I know that you will do an excellent job on the model.  I am also looking forward to your comments on the kit as you go through it.  It's in my stash, but I am awaiting a final decision as to what markings to do it in.  As "They Say": Tally Ho!
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 12:44:57 PM »
   Thanks, all, for you much appreciated comments. I am looking forward to this little excursion into yet another Model Building adventure, so many great Kits, so little time!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 01:58:20 PM »
Great to see you "back in the saddle" with a build like this Lance - I'm very keen to follow as you "put on a clinic" for us  ;) That build at the start of your post is excellent, I might add.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 03:34:48 PM »
Looking forward to this build, Lothar V.R. is a great option for something different.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 11:28:34 PM »
    Thanks Gary and Giuseppe for looking in and commenting. This scheme should be a lot of fun and a challenge to replicate as the striping appears to show through in the yellow over-painted areas in the photos I have. It certainly won't lack color!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 12:21:08 AM »
Follow long on your Fokker build  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 01:45:50 AM »
Happy Meng-Nutting, Lance!

vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 04:15:08 AM »
Good to see you back and building WW1 Lance. Lv R's aircraft markings are new to me so i will be very interested to see them. I know that you will produce a very fine model - and as Gary has written, the one at the start of your thread is a stunner.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »
   Thank you all, I've made a bit of progress, will try for some photos tomorrow for a mini update. My only comment at this (early) point is that nearly every "fit" attempt so far requires trimming, opening, or sanding to get good results. I may be the culprit with over spilling of paint onto mating surfaces but this commonly encountered condition is more extreme then what I've experienced with Wingnut Kits. Perhaps early for such a comment however I'm finding this Kit is like one that needed just one more good rejection for another test shot before going to the Market Place! Still though, a great little kit thus far.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 04:28:01 AM »
It's great to see you joining the Fokker Dr.1 family, Lance! Your builds are always informative, beautifully executed and fun to watch! I'm on board! Regards, Marc.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 04:37:06 AM »
    Thanks Marc, I'm just about to enter a small update and, as you will see, perhaps your kind comment regarding "execution' is a tad over generous! :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 04:59:34 AM »
       The Build is flowing along at a snail's pace however progress is steady. At this point I'd say the only significant critique I have is wrt the Instructions, which fall well short of the quality of those we enjoy with most of the newer Kits.
   The cockpit is over half completed. The Engineering of this particular model is quite different from it's Roden predecessor, and not necessarily an improvement from what I can recall of the latter.
   Here's the left side fuselage frame (In Black!) "posed" in place with the floor module roughly posed as well, with separate views of each following, and I see a bit of touchup required on the middle former........

......and here's the left side with Eduard's Photo Etched seat belts for that side only installed: I've decided to use some parts from Eduard's PE Set #32547 "Fokker DR.1 for this Build)

As you can see a bit of the reddish brown color of the side panel bled through the tape onto the CDL, not too evident without the "Macro" feature of the camera thankfully!
    Here's the ammunition container and rudder pedal assembly sans rigging which will be added next once the components are permanently installed:

So next comes some flight control cables and a few instruments before I close it up and half of all this effort disappears ....... I'll skip the standard comment about the "whys" and "because" of that detail! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 06:08:00 AM by lcarroll »