Author Topic: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter - Finished  (Read 5048 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
The little Camel is looking great! Very neat and fine work.. I do like your PC 10.... Marc.

Offline Early Bird Fan

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2021, 02:37:15 AM »
Glad I’m not the only one who hd to fight the Roden Camel (though in my case I was responsible for some of the battles). I too found that the upper wing wanted to wiggle a lot: the struts are thin and a bit flexible. With such cases I find that structural bracing wires (i.e. mounted in the wings, not flexible like EZ-line) helps considerably. Stretching wires symmetrically (one left, then the corresponding on the right etc) makes it easier not to cause warping on the process.
The problem i found was the fuselage to wing struts, the locating pins needed to be at an angle so they engaged with the holes, roden have them in line with the strut so they never sit in the hole properly. This means as you're trying to get them in place the slightest movement and it all moves making a positive placement extremely difficult, if i build another one i think i'd file them flat and add my own pins to aid alignemnt.

I've been plodding on with this camel build and it's now rigged which brings it a step closer to completion. I still need to rig the undercarriage section but the horizontal bar broke on me (just one more problem i've had with this model (it's still shedding paint)) The wheels and rear skid are drying so once they're ready that's pretty much it for this little PITA. Since taking these pics i've done a few touch-ups so i should have this build rapped up in the next couple of days

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 02:41:01 AM »
I for one really like your build and can appreciate the troubles you have with one  :) looking forward to the final outcome  8)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 03:28:16 AM »
In spite of your issues this one is coming along nicely! I also look forward to seeing it completed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Fvdm

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 04:52:35 AM »
When I look at the pics I see a very nice plane. I understand that you had some troubles but it doesn't show. Great job.

Offline Radarman

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 05:26:44 AM »
Beautiful build and it's always nice to see 1/72nd scale projects.

Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2021, 07:45:21 AM »
Remember that this is in God's Own Scale so you are more likely to have these niggly problems. Nevertheless you are making a cracking job of it.

Stephen.

Offline Early Bird Fan

Re: Roden 1/72 Sopwith TF.1 Camel Trench Fighter - Finished
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2021, 07:48:19 AM »
i'm declaring the Camel as finished, despite the difficulties with this build (some of which were self induced) i have enjoyed the process and working on such a small model has proved more challenging than other 1/72's i've done. I think the size is partly the reason for any mishaps and if (let's face it...when) i build another one i think i'd do a better job of it.

Thanks for following along and the support on this one, it's very much appreciated. More pics in the completed section shortly.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
Excellent results!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2021, 08:43:08 AM »
Lovely work EBF,how you guys who build in 1/72 manage it is beyond me;congratulations.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Monty

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2021, 01:04:07 AM »
Very neat and fine work! Well done! Marc.