Author Topic: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair  (Read 12695 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2020, 04:15:49 AM »
There is some truly superb detail in that cockpit Lance, it will be such a pity that much of it will be difficult to see.

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2020, 01:06:53 PM »
Excellent comeback Lance , much easier to deal with know . I must say that the more I see the kit being built I'm starting to like the Roden one even more .

Looking forward on the next up-date Lance

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2020, 01:32:04 PM »
Thanks All. I'm a little happier with progress at this point. I spent more time straightening those warped wings then I thought it would take but the job's done and looking good. I used the hot water method and took my time , the only damage done was i managed to break off the second upper cowling extension which will not take much to repair. I hope to get a base coat on the major components tomorrow.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2020, 02:22:53 PM »
Lance

I am super impressed with the quality of your detailing with the Meng Dr.1. I have two of these kits bubbling away on the "must build" pile but I have been lazy and am keen to see how others ( such as yourself) tackle the Mengnuts plastic.

Many thanks for showing us your build and despite the Meng kit having some issues it has certainly been a much-needed shot in the arm for our hobby.

I look forward to how yours and others builds progress!

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2020, 05:59:53 AM »
Lance, I like what you have done so far. Especially the cockpit.

May be you know that already and I don't know, if those more stable parts are really needed, but I found a new brass products for your aircraft:

Struts:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerocraft-acm32fos-fokker-dri-triplane-brass-struts--1316237

Undercarriage:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerocraft-acm32fou-fokker-dri-triplane-brass-undercarriage-struts--1316235

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2020, 01:40:07 PM »
   Thanks Dave and Frank. From what I can see at this stage the brass struts and tail skid should not be necessary. The joins are well done for the inter plane struts with deep and well formed sockets and the struts themselves appear adequate. The other Builders of this Kit on our Forum have not mentioned any problems with this part although I'll admit this is a cursory look at best at this stage.
   I managed to get the under surfaces painted in the light blue/ turquoise I mixed up yesterday; tomorrow I hope to mask up the wrap around and get the CDL base coat on the fuselage and the upper surface of the wings as well.  I also got the circular magneto inspection panels on her, the Kit supplied Photo Etch versions which are very nicely done.

The female version of the strut connections; very well done and should be more then adequate.

More to follow tomorrow if all goes according to plan.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »
Nice mix for the blue Lance , I like it ! Any problems with test fitting the lower wing/middle and chin plate ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2020, 07:04:02 PM »
I'm watching with rapt attention, Lance! Thanks for the detailed photographs and explanations... Regards, Marc

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2020, 11:04:36 PM »
   Thanks Terri, the wing and chin cowling dry fit nicely. The blue mix will forever be a mystery, I used the blue mixed years ago for a Pfalz D.XII and never did record the ingredients then. This was then blended with gloss white and medium grey until it looked about right. (All Tamiya acrylics) Mark, thanks for looking in, my photos are not the greatest but I hope they illustrate the Kit's features. :)
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:55:48 PM by lcarroll »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2020, 11:14:09 PM »
Your blue mix looks spot on to me Lance. You are taking a page from My handbook with that "Mix Formula"  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »
That's one nasty seam Lance.  I am hoping it's an anomaly and not inherent in every kit.  Nice fix on the seam.  I have been following along and I am in the "Terri Camp" on the blue.  I mixed some up for the Hobbycraft DR.I using the RAGIII "Cookbook" on paint mixing.  Looking forward to the next update.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:33:39 AM by mgunns »
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2020, 04:01:28 AM »
Rick and Mark,
   Thanks for commenting, they are much appreciated! I've completed the Aviattic streaking decals using the "bulk stock" Sheets 32062 and 3.(Clear decal paper version) They went on well and I'm pleased with the results. I'm still not completely decided on the next step of over spraying with the "light yellow" stated in several of the references, specifically whether or not to include the dark cross field background panels on the fuselage and over spraying the top surface of the upper wing, or not!
   Regardless the next step is several sealing coats of future over the decals and a few touch ups. I've discovered that some long out of production Model Master enamel "French Khaki" #2106 is a near perfect match for the decals.
Then comes decision time ............!

Here's a couple of shots with the cross fields applied:

Some detail on the wings:

.........  and the fuselage:

Last, the Meng Decals were used for the lower wing crosses, and they are excellent! A nice matt finish, very thin, and behave very well over the raised detail on the ribs...... and now "back to the Future"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2020, 04:42:21 AM »
My apologies Lance for not keeping up with this build - life has been a roller-coaster recently....

This is looking to be one of your best builds so far - the colours and streaking are super. Whatever final finish you choose, this is going to be a cracking model.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2020, 06:04:12 AM »
   Thank you Stephen, great to hear from you! I think life in general as a "roller coaster ride" is pretty common these days, very sobering times!
    Having this hobby is a blessing in so many ways, not the least being the opportunity to deal with little problems and leave the bigger ones behind for a time! Hopefully my next update will include resolution of the yellow scheme details quandary.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2020, 06:34:27 AM »
Looking really nice so far Lance , fantastic work with the streaking decals . I'm going to have to give these a whirl some day .

I'm looking forward on seeing which direction you going with the yellow  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch