Author Topic: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair  (Read 12902 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Meng 1:32 Fokker DR.1 Triplane - A Family Affair
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2020, 06:54:15 AM »
Looking really nice so far Lance , fantastic work with the streaking decals . I'm going to have to give these a whirl some day .

I'm looking forward on seeing which direction you going with the yellow  :)

Terri

I agree with Terri Lance in all respects including trying out the streak decals!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2020, 09:31:12 AM »
I gotta hand it to you Lance, the streaking decal work turned out great. (Ala Tony the Tiger)  Apprently not a lot of trimming to get them on.  I know you didn't use the Cookie Cutter sheet so trimming was probably a bit easier than trying mate the cookie cutter style to the model, you could match the model to the decal.  The model seems to be coming along post haste as you have gotten quite far with the sub assemblies.  Looking forward to see how and what you do with the "Yellow Quandy".  Keep us posted.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2020, 09:51:58 AM »
Thanks Folks, much appreciated as always. So ....... I keep forgetting to include this request: I read somewhere in the past that the German Built version of the LeRhone 9, the Oberursel URII differed from the former only in the exhaust pipes. One had copper pipes (the LeRhone version??) the other steel but I can't recall which and can't locate the reference. Can anyone help with the answer? Here's the partially completed Kit Engine with copper exhaust pipes .....

As an aside you'll notice I've broken one push rod so I think I'll replace all nine with thinner steel ones when I finish it.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2020, 10:31:22 AM »
Your engine looks great Lance. I broke several push rods on both of My engines. I ended up repairing what I could and leaving the unrepaired ones at the top where the are hidden by the cowling  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2020, 01:21:06 PM »
Rick,
    Ha!  That's my "Plan B"!
Cheers,
Lance

Your engine looks great Lance. I broke several push rods on both of My engines. I ended up repairing what I could and leaving the unrepaired ones at the top where the are hidden by the cowling  ::)
RAGIII

Offline mgunns

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
Try as I might, I can't see the broken push rod.  It looks perfectly fine to me.
Mark

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2020, 10:53:52 PM »
Hi Lance,
I have only seen copper intake pipes on LeRhones.  Given the material shortages in Germany, I would guess the Oberursel had steel intakes, but I don't have any pictures to prove.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2020, 11:18:08 PM »
Excellent work on the engine Lance  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Bughunter

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2020, 11:26:25 PM »
That is a interesting story!

At least Richthofens Dr.I has copper intakes, as the rotary is shown in the Imperial War Museum, London.
Wikipedia has a picture:

On the other hand in some of the Datafiles there was the story that Fokker has access to a bigger amount of Thulin copies of rotaries bought by Germany in Sweden. Since Sweden was neutral this should not be known to the public, so the created the story of booty engines to explain, that those are not Oberursel ones. The Thulin used copper intakes I assume. So Fokker created some aircrafts using rotaries because they were short on the Mercedes and BMW inline engines.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »
    That makes sense Frank, and I had seen the photos of von Richthofen's engine in the IWM. I also thought that this engine (from 425/17) was a captured LeRhone version but I may be confused on that issue. A Google Search provides photos of Oberursels with both types of exhaust pipes to further confuse the issue! Kensar, I also recall reading your theory on steel vs. copper in the past ......
Cheers,
Lance

That is a interesting story!

At least Richthofens Dr.I has copper intakes, as the rotary is shown in the Imperial War Museum, London.
Wikipedia has a picture:

On the other hand in some of the Datafiles there was the story that Fokker has access to a bigger amount of Thulin copies of rotaries bought by Germany in Sweden. Since Sweden was neutral this should not be known to the public, so the created the story of booty engines to explain, that those are not Oberursel ones. The Thulin used copper intakes I assume. So Fokker created some aircrafts using rotaries because they were short on the Mercedes and BMW inline engines.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2020, 03:37:38 AM »
I suspect Lance that the Germans used both copper and steel pipes - just to confuse modellers a century later...! I also suspect that this is an issue which we could argue about for another century and still no resolve it!

Whatever is the "correct" answer, your engine looks super.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2020, 08:36:03 AM »
I suspect Lance that the Germans used both copper and steel pipes - just to confuse modellers a century later...! I also suspect that this is an issue which we could argue about for another century and still no resolve it!

Whatever is the "correct" answer, your engine looks super.

Stephen.

Stephen,
   Good point actually, as, unless the photos are captioned wrong, I have seen a number of Oberursel photos with both exhausts! Concerning resolution, at least there's no evidence that they painted either or the other with PC.10!  ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »
After reading this thread, I now know why I don't use a lot of reference material in my models.  I would be forever chasing rabbits down rabbit holes vice actually doing something on the model.  Not to discount the value of reference material, but there comes a point when you make a decision and go with it.  Like Lone Modeler wrote:  "just to confuse modellers a century later."  I have always thought that there was a Machiavellian plot by the defense industry to not only confuse the enemy but to also perplex modelers in the future.
I think the engine looks good and as only what, three or four cylinders will actually show forth, it's the eye candy that counts in the end.  But I digress.

Mark

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
Looking great Lance!

The streaking looks as good as it could possibly look. I would have gone that route but I was worried about the edging not perfectly blending in with the plastic, but you seem to have nailed it...

I’d be super careful if you mask over it.. I’ve been down that road before!  :P

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2020, 02:35:10 AM »
Mark,
   You've captured it perfectly; that's me indeed, spending hours running down "bunny trails" in the references and getting very little actual building of the model done! I write it off to the dreaded "AMS", and have accepted it as part of my model hobby experience ...... not to say I might benefit from it's absence!
Guy,
   Thanks for checking in and yes, I will feel much better once the masking requirement is left behind.
Cheers,
Lance