Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39126 times)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2021, 06:46:10 AM »
The wing dihedral problem.

I use tubes in the fuselage and pins in the wings. The tubes have a bore of 0.8mm and the pins are 0.8mm brass giving some rigidity until the rigging is in place

All the dihedral and sweep back comes from bending the bit of pin that sticks out of the wing. I do this by laying the wing on the drawing, then bending the pin to the correct angle, first in plan then in the front elevation

I wouldn't go for oversize tubes, you won't have anything to positively locate the wings. Bending the wire is much easier!

I've just done this with the lower wings of the Nie 17bis - there will be pictures at some point...

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #241 on: June 05, 2021, 06:54:36 AM »
Thanks Richard, that sounds sensible!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #242 on: June 05, 2021, 07:29:01 AM »

Easy too!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #243 on: June 05, 2021, 07:32:41 AM »
The painted struts look great Richie! I am awed by your progress on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2021, 07:45:51 AM »

Easy too!

I'm finding the best solutions always are!
The painted struts look great Richie! I am awed by your progress on this one!
RAGIII

Very kind as always Rick, many thanks. I'm getting there bit by bit but oh boy, what a struggle it is. A very absorbing one but wow, what a struggle! :)

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »
Your a lean mean scratchbuilding machine Richie !

The struts you made turn out super as well as the added detail on the front end of business . I also do it the same way Richard does , never fails  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline RichieW

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2021, 08:49:40 AM »
Thanks Alexis, if both you and Richard do it that way it has to be the right method. I already fitted the tubes but thanks to Albion Alloy slide fit tubes I can easily work round it. I spent days pondering various way out methods, the answer is so beautifully simple. Wish I'd just asked but the toughest lessons are the best learned!  :)

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
Those struts look awesome Richie!

Willem

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2021, 07:04:15 PM »
Thanks Alexis, if both you and Richard do it that way it has to be the right method. I already fitted the tubes but thanks to Albion Alloy slide fit tubes I can easily work round it. I spent days pondering various way out methods, the answer is so beautifully simple. Wish I'd just asked but the toughest lessons are the best learned!  :)

In that case I would do the pin bending trick, then fit short bits of tube onto them to make large locating pegs.

Sleeve the wing pin up rather than make the tube smaller. You should have a really good location that way

Richard

Offline RichieW

« Reply #249 on: June 06, 2021, 05:27:53 AM »
More top advice, thanks a lot Richard!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #250 on: June 06, 2021, 05:32:46 AM »
More top advice, thanks a lot Richard!

yep - it's a good one that. I may adopt it myself!

Richard

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2021, 04:45:53 AM »
Catching up Richie: you are making excellent progress with this and producing a stunning model as a result. Staring into space may seem to be wasting time but in my experience it is a necessary process as good ideas rarely jump out from nowhere: they have to be squeezed from the mind. Simple solutions are always preferable but are not obvious very often - hence the time needed to stare into space.

The struts are first class as is the jagged edge on the fuel tank. Remember that you can see very flaw in the model, (they will be shouting at you), but they will be barely noticed by anyone else.....

Keep this up - it is a great learning experience for all of us - so many good ideas here, and a very good learning ground for your strip-down project.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »
Your wings look great.  It's hard to believe this is your first scratchbuild.  You're really climbing a steep learning curve quickly here.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #253 on: June 10, 2021, 08:00:06 AM »
Those struts look awesome Richie!

Willem

Many thanks Willem, sorry I missed this post before. How's your build going? Loved your last few updates!
Your wings look great.  It's hard to believe this is your first scratchbuild.  You're really climbing a steep learning curve quickly here.

Many thanks Ken, I'm very grateful for the compliment. This was my 4th or 5th attempt at the wings. At least I ended up with sets to experiment with painting techniques. I'm determined to scramble my way up that learning curve!

Stephen,a very big thank you for all the advice and encouragement you have given. Yes the Many blemishes are shouting at me in a big chorus but to be honest I've already achieved far more than I thought I would at the start of this project.

There has been a lot more staring into space this week and very little progress. I hope to make a little update with photos tomorrow if time allows.

Best wishes all
Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »
Form staring into space comes inspiration  ;)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .