Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39025 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt- novel wing method?
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2021, 06:04:44 PM »

Am I onto something or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I really think you are on to something Richie! I have some tailplanes to do, and I will definitely give this a try!

Willem, I'd hold fire for now. I had a little play yesterday afternoon and the result is pretty horrible. In fairness it was only a rough experiment and I got caught in a sudden cloudburst whilst spraying on primer outside which ruined the finish but I think it is, for me at least, a very difficult method to control. The leading edge especially is challenging as the rib effect and tape need to be feathered there, I tried infusing the tape with thin CA glue to enable this but just made a mess. It's probably doable but I think Harry Woodman's method would be far less problematic.

Experiments by Richard Williams, on Flickr

A very quick experiment at making indentations through a skin was also tried. I only had 10 thou sheet, I think it would work better with 5 thou. No measurements or care were taken here, I just wanted to see if I could imprint contours.

Experiments by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I can't help but wonder if creating the rib tape with Mr fine surfacer after masking round the areas might work. I have a bit of a wait for supplies to arrive and two old duff wing cores to play with so might try another experiment when I get time.

Richie

Bughunter

« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »
This place is a real buzz! It's hard to keep up!
I will join with this bird, as promised :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2021, 07:22:18 AM »
I had a bit of time at the bench yesterday and made some new balsa cores, at their thickest point these are 2.5mm and very delicate. I got a cheap razor plane from Amazon which made short work of removing excess balsa and the Japanese half round carving file I borrowed made even shorter work of carving the aerofoil curve into the undersides. I was so impressed with I might buy one. I reinforced these balsa wafers with a layer of extra thin CA glue.

Wings by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Whisper it quietly, I may have successfully skinned the top wing this evening. It's a long way from perfect but certainly good enough for me! Will do the bottom wings if I have time tomorrow and if I'm successful things can finally start to move on with skinning the fuselage and putting some colour in the old girl's cheeks.

Wings by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I sat a few bits together for a test fit, they actually do fit quite well but like annoying children wouldn't still for a photograph. It's a bit round the edges of the cockpit covering but there will be a half round strip to represent the cane reinforcement that goes along the bottom edge. I'm contemplating adding stitches to the leather padding but have done enough of the squinty eye strain stuff recently.

Dry fit by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2021, 07:40:07 AM »
That's looking good Richie

I've always thinned the balsa cores down with coarse sandpaper wrapped around a block, I'm interested to hear you can plane it - I was expecting the grain to tear out. Learning all the time!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #214 on: May 20, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
Agree with Richard , that does look really good Richie  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #215 on: May 20, 2021, 09:47:20 PM »
You're coming along quite well with this, Ritchie.
Scratchbuilding certainly offers one the opportunity to be creative.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #216 on: May 21, 2021, 12:26:31 AM »
Thanks you wonderful people, I'm sure wing making gets easier with practice. The wing I completed is a bit rough in places so I will cut it down and use it for the lower wings. No point in starting again or this will never end!

Richard, the razor plane is a terrific, cheap tool. So long as you just take very thin shavings there is no tearing.

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2021, 01:38:23 AM »

Am I onto something or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I really think you are on to something Richie! I have some tailplanes to do, and I will definitely give this a try!

Any ideas on how to finish the the surface?

Willem

Sorry but I have been away for a couple of days and missed all of this recent action! Excellent and novel ideas here - and it looks as though you may have a complete set of wings shortly. I will try to follow more closely in future.

In answer to Willem's question, a simple, cheap and very effective wood grain filler is a talcum powder and dope mixture. I prefer it to CA because it is easier to apply and avoids the problems associated with the CA. In addition the thinners no longer smell like they used to do. I have described it in my Dornier Rs II flying boat build log on this site. It requires 2 - 3 coats but sets very hard and when sanded gives a mirror finish. I still use it to fill wood grain on any parts of model that is going to be painted. An old idea but a good one.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2021, 10:56:07 PM »
Your latest wing looks great to me Richie! The cowl panels look great placed in position.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2021, 07:41:28 AM »
Stephen, thank you for pointing me to your build log of the Dornier Rs II flying boat. I will try this method too. I find all these techniques interesting and fun to try out.

Willem

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2021, 11:29:44 PM »
Well it's been a bit of a frustrating week, I somehow made a complete and utter pig's ear of skinning the next wing core and when I looked again at the wing I had skinned it was far too thick. More Hawker Hurricane than Bristol Scout. I tried to remedy the situation but decided starting again was a better option.

Although annoying it wasn't too off putting as it gave me the chance to try making new cores out of bass wood sheet. I found this a lot easier than using balsa and Stephen's suggestion of talc and dope to provide a smooth surface worked a treat.

This time skinning went well, I even just about got the wing tips to cooperate although they are slathered in putty at the moment.

wings at the 4th attempt by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Once I have the tips sorted out I can finally get the airbrush out and do some painting again.

There is a much more pressing job to do first;

Bench clearing time. by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Clearing up this mess and getting rid of all the dust is going to be a lengthy process!

Thanks for reading, with a bit of luck and a good tail wind I may have some colours to show next time.

Richie

Offline Gene K

« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2021, 11:53:29 PM »
Clearing up this mess and getting rid of all the dust is going to be a lengthy process!
[/quote]

I envy the huge work area you have cleared  on your desk (relative to mine). :-[

Gene K

Offline RichieW

« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2021, 12:01:41 AM »

I envy the huge work area you have cleared  on your desk (relative to mine). :-[

Gene K
[/quote]

Haha, I had a feeling I may well not be the messiest worker! ;)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #223 on: May 26, 2021, 02:24:01 AM »
decided starting again was a better option.

Another valuable lesson learned  ;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #224 on: May 26, 2021, 08:02:55 PM »
decided starting again was a better option.

Another valuable lesson learned  ;D

Richard

Yep, I much longer trying to salvage rubbish wings than I did making new ones!

Richie