Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39042 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »
The fuselage is looking good Richie. I am sure you will sand it into a shape that suits you. I am looking forward to the painting stage  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #271 on: June 19, 2021, 12:37:40 AM »
Ah memories of living in Wiltshire and having the archaeological sites on the doorstep. (Not to mention a rather large spire...)

It is truly amazing what filler and paint will conceal. Another disaster averted - always a good move in scratch building.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2021, 01:06:54 AM »
Thanks Dave, Alexis, Stephen and Rick. I'm still plugging away a little at a time but at least the battle of the turtle deck is over. My first attempt ended in shattering defeat when my milliput didn't set, I probably didn't knead it together enough. The fuselage covering is covered in Hycote primer/filler, as you can probably see there is more to be done. This stuff blasts out of the can and is difficult to control but it is possible to get a fantastic finish with it.

The D shape surrounds to the foot holds were added with styrene and filed down to a more scale thickness, unfortunately I seem to have sliced through my internal rigging wires which should be seen. I'm not too bothered and won't attempt to correct the mistake. Eduard etched stitching has been added, more will be added to run alongside the down side of the metal panels.

Turtle deck repaired by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The cowling and side panel are just taped in place here. A lot of time has been spent preparing roundel and Union Jack masks but every time I prepare to paint the wings I notice something horrible that needs to be remedied. Perhaps I should stop fussing and just get on with it!

In the absence of any other pictures here is a picture from my recent walking holiday of Silbury Hill which is basically just an enormous Neolithic mud pie. Well what else were they going to model? Biplanes didn't appear for another 6 thousand years! ;)

Silbury Hill ancient monument by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Thanks for your patience, this will get finished one day!

Richie

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2021, 03:40:46 AM »
The fuselage looks good Richie. There comes a point with a model when you have to accept minor blemishes and errors or else the darn thing is never finished. Just paint the roundels and Union Jacks and let others see if they can spot the mistakes.... I'll bet that they cannot.

Stephen.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2021, 03:44:07 AM »
The fuselage looks good Richie. There comes a point with a model when you have to accept minor blemishes and errors or else the darn thing is never finished. Just paint the roundels and Union Jacks and let others see if they can spot the mistakes.... I'll bet that they cannot.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen, that's great advice as ever. I'm very lucky to have you in my corner. It's time to start having fun again with this build. Painting will commence this week.

Richie

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2021, 10:53:12 AM »
Now that looks really nice Richie  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
You did a wonderful job on the turtleneck Richie.

The detailing on the fuselage looks very good!

Willem

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2021, 06:55:13 PM »

Stephen.

What he said times 2. This model isn't going to be perfect - I haven't built one yet that is!

It is still going to be unique and very much yours.

I think you've reached the hardest point now, settling for what you've got and getting it finished. I've failed at this point many times with kits

She's an excellent build, mate. The next one will be better!

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #278 on: June 24, 2021, 11:59:18 PM »
Excellent progress Richie. Far better than anything I could scratch build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #279 on: June 25, 2021, 02:08:36 AM »
As Rick said, excellent progress.

I have found one of the most difficult things to learn in scratchbuilding is to accept things that are not perfect in your own eyes.
(I'm managing that though.)

Offline RichieW

« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2021, 04:10:10 AM »
Thanks so much Ken, Dave, Willem, Alexis, Rick and Richard. It was great advice to stop fussing and just move on, I think I've been suffering from what is often called paralysis by analysis. All the main scratch building tasks are done, it's time to break out the airbrush before it becomes fossilised!

Today I made a start on the RNAS roundels, I like to paint them first then mask over them while I paint the rest of the wing surface. It makes it much easier to mask the thin white outline. Speaking of which I thought early RNAS roundels didn't have them but they are on the aircraft I am modelling. David Bremner who flies and built Scout 1264 thoroughly researched everything so I'll go with what he has done.

Roundels painted by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Very little touching up needed, I used Rick's 'old painter's trick' and lightly sprayed with the surrounding colour first to help seal the mask. Thanks for that one Rick! I am using MRP Richthofen Red and Oxford Blue, I really like them.  :)

I called time on fussing over the fuselage nose and added the oil and petrol tank filler caps. I think it's the oil tank cap at the front, whatever it is there is a little breather tube which has a brass guard round it. There is also a little copper tube that runs under a tape to the oil tank. I think this leads to the pulsometer in the cockpit. I also finished adding the photo etch stitching. Everything is now in white paint.

20210624_172100 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Well that was fun, I feel very happy to be moving forward again. With a bit of luck it'll all be over by Christmas!

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2021, 04:25:48 AM »
There you go, now you're looking at the paint - especially the roundels - not the plastic

;)

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline RichieW

« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2021, 04:27:51 AM »
There you go, now you're looking at the paint - especially the roundels - not the plastic

;)

Richard

Bloomin' right mate! ;)

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2021, 08:10:46 AM »
Yup: you are really moving this one forward now Richie. No looking back - just keep your eye on the prize - in time for Christmas!

Stephen.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »
Richie , lovely job on those wings ! Looking forward on seeing how the rest of the painting goes , this is some really nice work indeed  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .