Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 38391 times)

Offline RichieW

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 04:09:23 AM »
It's a very detailed engine Ken. I can't compare it to any other after market engines because I have never bought one before.

Due to the pandemic it seems to have travelled here by land and sea. It took a few months to arrive which is why I completely forgot about it.

It certainly is light years ahead of what comes with the Special Hobby Nieuport 11. There was a lot of cleaning up to do  and I managed to knock off most of the spark plugs. I doubt you are as clumsy as me though so won't be a problem.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 05:07:57 AM »
You may feel like you haven't done much but to Me that cowling and how you made it is Brilliant. The engine looks great in it's proper home!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 06:46:46 AM »
Thanks Rick, you're a great source of encouragement and inspiration.

Ken, I forgot to mention. The engine does not come with push rods. The casing does have holes for them, I have been adding short 7mm brass tube sleeves with 5mm rod into them. Can't upload pictures to Flickr at the moment, have taken a close up of a cylinder head to show you when I can. I like the engine so much I have ordered another. He only has 2 left so you might have to be quick.

Flickr's back on,here it is Ken.

NewportMax cylinder head Le Rhone 9c 1/32 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Here I have added push rods. I had to severely disfigure the engine to make it fit so no picture of the whole thing. ;)

20200704_225156 by Richard Williams, on Flickr
Richie
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:06:14 AM by RichieW »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 10:41:41 PM »
Nice clean work on the pushrods Richie and the cowl , man that looks really good  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 02:33:10 AM »
Yes, what shows there is really good.

Bughunter

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2020, 05:17:42 AM »
Well done so far Richie!
I only want to mention, that the engine should be moved a bit more inside the cowling, compared with the pic on page 1. But I guess you have not fixed it yet.

Here I am gluing the skin on the top surface of the wing.  Using the air inflated bag ensure even pressure across the entire surface without messing up the embossing.

Lovely picture Ken! Very clever construction :D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement chaps, I haven't had time for a few days but did manage to visit Old Warden aerodrome en route to visiting my elderly parents  yesterday after restrictions were eased here recently.
I have added some pictures with lots of little details and even some interior shots to the reference library here;

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=11308.0

Franks, thanks, I haven't fixed the engine in place yet, am having to do a lot of thinning of the cowling to get a better fit, it's a long job with a scalpel and file!

Hope to get more done this week when I get some more styrene sheets delivered.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2020, 09:32:08 PM »
Excellent detail photos Richie. Thanks for adding them!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 02:04:17 AM »
This scratchbuilding thing is VERY difficult! Thought I'd have a go at making the tail plane. All was well until I attempted to skin the laminated cores, the first effort took many hours and was so bad I didn't take any photographs, the second attempt was going promisingly until I knocked a bottle of liquid adhesive over and badly damaged the surface, I attempted to rescue it but then realised I had used the wrong diagram anyway and had been making the tail plane of a Scout D, oops!

Fail by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I embossed the rib tapes with a biro using my cutting mat to lean on and this picked up the texture of the mat so was pretty bad all round.

The third effort was a lot more promising and far less time consuming, I made new cores and did the embossing using a sheet of card to lean on. Unfortunately I damaged the surface of the skin with my finger nails and when I laid out the elevators it became apparent that my centre line wasn't central.

Fail 2 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I don't think this is fixable so I will have another go tomorrow. It's a good job I ordered more styrene sheets, I think I'm going to need quite a lot of it at this rate.
I will use the failed efforts for painting practice and make sure I measure and mark out more carefully next time. I actually feel encouraged despite the disasters, although I have nothing useable yet my efforts are getting a little better each time.

Thanks for reading

Richie

Offline smperry

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 04:20:04 AM »
These are mistakes you only make once. Scratch a few models and the time wasted is prorated out between them all and so doesn't add up to much.....At least that's what I tell myself. Sometimes it helps. And knocking liquid cement over on a scratch built part is nowhere near the disaster that knocking it over onto an expensive kit part would be. All in all it sounds like you are progressing apace.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 05:26:06 AM »
It took three attempt to get the stabilos and elevators of my V-1500 right. I made four rudders before I had anything that looked a bit "ridder-ish".

Mr. Evergreen can buy a nice car from my investments in his styrene.

This is my first scratch build too, and it doesn't come easy. As Richard (RLWP) said in my build log: "...experience is earned the hard way. It teaches you loads, the best of which is persistence..."

Have faith!

Bughunter

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 06:08:31 AM »
am having to do a lot of thinning of the cowling to get a better fit, it's a long job with a scalpel and file!
Richie, for that job I use some milling heads. But in styrene with a hand tool, not machine. So I have much better control and the tool do not get hot and destroy the part. The picture is a bit dark, but I hope it shows them clear enough.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RichieW

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2020, 07:09:39 AM »
Thank you chaps, I'm keeping the faith. It's a very steep and slippery learning curve to scramble up but I hope to become a better modeller by the end of it

I had a 4th attempt tonight and think I might be getting somewhere at last. That was good advice from Richard, we have to keep at it or we'll never get any better.

Frank, you gem, that is a perfect solution. I will be ordering one of those milling heads straight away. That's exactly what I need and a lot cheaper than a Dremel!

I have a lot of time on my hands and the weather is awful so hope to get a lot more done. I have to completely rebuild the fuselage frame too because the two halves didn't line up properly. It's going to be a long haul!

Richie

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2020, 11:42:59 AM »
Richie, The tail feathers were really looking great! The next effort should be perfect as it seems you have learned the process and now are aware of the proper center!
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2020, 01:03:17 AM »
Richie, The tail feathers were really looking great! The next effort should be perfect as it seems you have learned the process and now are aware of the proper center!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick, the next effort was so nearly there but I decided the elevators were far too thick so I had another go, the 5th attempt I think. These might have to do but the trailing edges are probably still a bit too thick. I'm using 0.2mm sheet for the skins and the elevators are a single layer of 0.5mm sheet.

20200709_132546 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The real thing has an incredibly delicate set of tail feathers which are quite an important feature.

_V5A6856 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Looks like there will have to be an attempt No. 6. I may try to make it one piece and just scribe the join.

Richie