Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 38953 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2020, 08:58:33 PM »
Richie

You start your scratch build the day that I have to go away for over a week....! Now you are half way through the build and I have not been able to compliment you on your efforts!!!

I completely agree with what has been written so far - practice is the only way to learn, and the person who never made a mistake never made anything. Some seriously good advice has been offered already, but of all I would repeat what Steve (SMP) has written - write out your procedure beforehand. I often spend time thinking several stages ahead and then write down notes - just for me. When writing I sometimes have to cross things out as new ideas or possible problems come to mind. When in the process of building, the notes are a guide, not a set of instructions - be ready to be flexible.

I also find that the simpler the procedure and tools the easier the task - it is so easy to over complicate things. Frank's comment about machine tools is also apposite - I rarely use my Dremmel and when I do it is not on plastic because the latter melts and clogs the tool head. Also you have much finer control by hand even if it does take a bit longer. The comment about making your parts fit the aftermarket parts is also very good - who is going to know if your fuselage is 2mm too big because it was made to fit an aftermarket engine? As for making several parts before you get it right, my advice is that as you gain experience, those problems will markedly decrease - I can usually make something properly first time these days, but it was not always so.

With reference to frames, do you know of this method of holding things together and keeping them the same size? This was a Bleriot fuselage frame that I made in the True Scale many years ago:

It does not guarantee 100% success but in my experience I have very few failures using this method. It is simple and quick!

I intend to follow this thread closely now because you will be teaching the rest of us some useful tricks - and I for one want to know what they are. There is so much to learn in this hobby, and so many teachers!

Stephen.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:59:17 PM by lone modeller »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »
Ditto to what LM has said.  Think, try, learn and persevere.  It will definitely be worth it! ;D  We will be watching and learning too.  Have fun!

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RichieW

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2020, 08:40:48 AM »
Stephen, very good to have you back. Although I am struggling to make progress I can't thank you enough for encouraging me down this road. I'm really enjoying all the problem solving it involves. Even if I have not managed to solve many yet!

My milling attachments arrived today and made short work of thinning the cowling. I had another go at making the frame. I used the good old fashioned pins and balsa board technique but somehow managed to mess up the alignment again. I think I know what is going wrong now and believe I have the solution so hopefully I will get it done over the weekend.

Bob, thanks for the encouragement. I shall be making 'Think, try, learn, persevere' my motto. It sounds like good advice for life too!

I'm having great fun still despite having to stock up on more styrene sheets. I will get there in the end, I have so much passion for this project I won't be easily discouraged. I'm even contemplating my next  scratch build project already. That will be from another era but will feature a mix of old biplane technology, something that was rather active 80 years ago today. ;)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
I think you're progressing well, Ritchie.  As smperry said, most of these mistakes will only be made once, or until you find a method that you like.  Then you will move on to another challenge.  And there will always be another challenge because scratchbuilding always leads to something new.

If I end up making something twice, (or more) before the second attempt, I examine what I have already done carefully to identify ALL the changes I want to make in the next part - its just a thought process I go through to improve as rapidly as possible.

And as Stephen alluded to, no one knows everything and everyone knows something.  You will be teaching us things as you go through this build.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
Thanks chaps, I'm really appreciating the encouragement and needing the advice!

Stephen, I went the old Kiel Kraft balsa route and it worked out a lot better. The frame is not perfectly aligned by any means but the shape is pretty accurate, I need to add formers for the turtle deck, should I add the stringers too or is that an unnecessary complication? I would prefer not to as it looks like a fiddly and potentially frustrating process.

The milling head in a pin vice worked a treat for thinning the cowling, thanks for that Frank.

20200713_215111 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Again, it's not much but every little step has needed many attempts and a lot of thinking and planning. I'm looking forward to adding some interior details now, I had a very short lived attempt to scratch a wicker seat before realising it was way beyond me and ordering a resin one.

I had a little play with aluminium from a coke tin today, has anybody formed cowlings and panels from sheet aluminium? it seemed like fun and embossing rivet details is quite straightforward. I don't think I will be using it on this build but maybe some time in the fututre.

Thanks for reading
Richie

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2020, 07:26:17 AM »
Richie, this project is coming along very nicely indeed!  Your patient persistence is paying off.  Keep up the good work! ;D

Brest regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2020, 08:57:10 AM »
The fuselage frame and fire wall look Superb Richie! Very impressive work from My point of view!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »
I'm impressed Richie , very well done so far  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline smperry

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2020, 11:28:36 AM »
Beautiful Richie
Looks square and true in all aspects. Not an easy task in any scale. Your first rate frame will make skinning it easier.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2020, 05:19:02 PM »
I am not as frequently here these days as I am normally. And this is the reason I didn‘t really realize yet what’s going on here. A scratchbuilding project is always something special. The first of such projects is it even more. And you do a great job here Richie, I really love what I see. The Bristol Scout is a good choice for a first scratchbuild, I think. I am keen on following your progress!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
If that is not much then I want to know what a great deal is! You are making excellent progress there - never mind if the fuselage frame is not 100% square - the skinning will help to conceal any minor irregularities. What you have made so far is very impressive indeed and has all the hallmarks of a first class build in progress.

Personally I would not bother with stringers - as I have commented previously keep things as simple as possible. It means fewer mistakes and less frustration! I confess that these days I only add details which can be seen on the finished model - life is too short otherwise. I did try to use aluminium on my FB5 Gunbus but gave up because I could not get a good join between the metal and plastic which I was using to represent fabric,. However shaping the aluminium was not difficult, although I did not try to make a cowling from it. Provided that you do not wish to represent stitching on the join between the metal and fabric I do not see why it should not be possible to get a clean joint: as always try it and see how you get on! And do not forget to report back, even if it does not work - we can all learn from others.

Stephen

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2020, 10:57:14 PM »
I have tried to use Coke can metal, but it is too stiff for easy working.  It can be annealed with a butane torch, but its easier to use aluminum from a disposable cooking pan, or pie pan.  I look for the thick, heavy gauge ones.  Start scrounging around!

Like Stephen, I only add detail if it can be seen or needed for structural reasons.

Offline xan

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2020, 12:53:08 AM »
Hi Sorry to arrive but I have material which can interest you.
Very accurate drawings given by David Bremer who rebuilted his grand father Scout , the 1264...

give me your mail and I will send you them...

Xan
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:33:08 AM by xan »
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2020, 01:33:32 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement chaps, it really does help me keep motivated despite the difficulties I am encountering at every stage.

Xan, that is so generous of you. That will be a huge help, the very basic drawings I am working from have me very confused about a few things!

Richie

Offline RichieW

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2020, 11:27:03 PM »
Unfortunately I have broken my thumb in three places playing cricket so there won't be any updates here for a while. That will teach me to sledge an Aussie fast bowler less than half my age! :)