Author Topic: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt FINISHED!  (Read 39058 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Bristol Scout C 1/32 First scratch build attempt
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2020, 12:33:02 AM »
Ouch!!!! That must have been and still probably is painful! Sorry to hear that, take it slow and easy and use some of your recuperation time for research on this and your next project Richie. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RichieW

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2020, 01:11:57 AM »
Thanks Lance, yes it's pretty sore still but I'm making the best of it like you suggest by researching the build and planning what has to be done in which order. I got a beautiful Barracuda resin wicker seat delivered today so I'm planning the interior and the various attachments for wings , undercarriage legs and Vickers MG.

Richie

Offline smperry

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2020, 01:12:33 AM »
Sorry to hear that you injured yourself Richie. Make sure you put all the critical pieces you have made for your Bristol Scout in a safe box and toss in a few notes to yourself where you were and where you were headed and how you intended to get there.  It will really help when you resume work as the thumb gets better. Even a couple weeks away from a build and you will find yourself forgetting what you meant to do next before you had to pause.

In the mean time, get a grip on a nice stiff drink with your good hand.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2020, 01:26:51 AM »
Thanks SP, that is excellent advice. Especially the bit about the stiff drink. Currently glass in hand, watching Midway and contemplating building a Wildcat or Dauntless.

Offline smperry

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2020, 02:05:51 AM »
You are well on the way to recovery. :-)
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2020, 09:36:02 PM »
I hope the injury heals quickly Richie! It is a shame that you are forced to drink Beer and watch Aviation Movies  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »
Haha, thanks Rick. There are definitely worse ways to pass the time. :)

Watched Flyboys yesterday, got the Blue Max to watch today.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2020, 03:02:04 AM »
Managed to do a little for the first time in a week today, simple tasks only while my thumb is still giving me grief. The ribs didn't line up very well on the last effort, I must be improving because it only took 15 minutes. Next job was the rudder, again this was pretty problem free. The ribs were embossed with a ball point pen, with the rib lines drawn on the rudder getting things lined up was a very simple job. I will tidy the edges up another time and start detailing the interior once my bashed up hand is up to it.

20200725_150947 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

20200725_152742 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The shape of the forward fuselage is really confusing me, I have plenty time to figure out how to make it but there has been much head scratching!

Hope to have a more meaningful update sometime soon.

Thanks for watching
Richie

Offline smperry

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2020, 03:07:06 AM »
Good looking set of tailfeathers Richie. St.Harry couldn't have done better himself.
sp

Offline RichieW

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2020, 03:16:19 AM »
Thanks SP, I'm so pleased you introduced me to the gospel according to St. Harry. I have been reading his words of wisdom over and over since getting a second hand copy, :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2020, 07:54:29 AM »
Just getting caught up on your progress Richie and I'm shocked to hear about your thumb , but glad to hear you are on the med and making progress . Nice job on the tail feathers and the frame is shaping up awesome so far . Really impressive work so far , keep at it and take your time . Now go have a few stiff drinks for the thumb  ;)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2020, 11:55:44 PM »
Excellent work on the tail surfaces Richie. The embossed ribs look Fantastic!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2020, 02:20:48 AM »
Just a little update, I have been doing a lot of head scratching while trying to figure out how to shape the front end and have strong enough attachment points for the undercarriage struts and cabanes. In the end the answer was pretty obvious and simplicity itself. Once the formers were attached I just filled the gaps with scraps of balsa and milliput and sanded to shape. Balsa blocks were added to where the undercarriage legs will be attached by pins. This made it all very nose heavy so I added milliput to the last cell which will hopefully give me a strong attachment point for the rudder and tail skid. The lower fuselage is not open where the tail skid attaches so this is not a problem.

20200728_164158 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

The top panel behind the engine cowling has numerous rivets that are quite a prominent feature.

20191116_104554 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

I made a paper template and then had a play at embossing rivets on styrene sheet. I first drew the lines and attempted to dot them in individually with a broken micro drill bit. The result was predictably and comically appalling!

20200728_164602 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

A few years ago I bout a riveting wheel which had never even been out of the packaging, a quick little play and we have nice evenly spaced rivets. The tool even comes with 3 different wheels to produce differently spaced rivets. This is definitely the way to go!

20200728_164527 by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Next step is to finish shaping the nose then I can start thinking about adding the interior detail and making the wings before skinning starts.

Many thanks for reading, I hope my first attempt at adding the rivets wasn't too disturbing!

Richie :)

Offline smperry

« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2020, 02:25:29 AM »
You have to do something like the first effort so that when you get it right like the second one, you get the full measure of satisfaction you are entitled to.
sp

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2020, 02:33:15 AM »
Good to see that this one is on the move again Richie. Yes the rivet problem is best solved with one of those wheels... guess how I know!

I have found that plastic bar is only strong enough if reinforced at critical points such as joints for wings and undercarriage. Your solution is simple but very effective - scratch building at its best.

Stephen.