Author Topic: Announcing the winners of the Des Delatorre Memorial Group Build competition  (Read 18181 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
The biggest group build competition in the history of the Forum is completed, with 49 entries and 25 completed models for judging. Now the five judges, who were blown away by the astonishingly high quality of the entries, have made their decisions.

The Grand Prize winner of the Des Delatorre Memorial Group Build competition is Ken Mouton (P9o1r1sche) of the USA for his spectacular 1/32 scratchbuilt Hanriot HD2.

The Major prize winners are Mike Norris ( Sandbagger) of the United Kingdom for his 1/32 scale skeletal Fokker D.VII and Brad Cancian of Australia for his 1/48 Albatros D.Va diorama.

Thanks to our amazing prize sponsors we have also been able to recognize excellence across a wide number of GB entrants. Our ongoing thanks go to Wingnut Wings, Copper State Models, Roden, Albatros Productions, Bob’s Buckles, Taurus, Proper Plane, Pheon Decals and Flugzeugwerke.

The Forum’s special thanks also go to our judges – Richard Alexander, Dave Johnson, Ray Rimell, Lance Carroll and Alex Belov.

And now, please meet all the winners for the 2019 Des Delatorre Memorial Group Build Competition:

Grand Prize- any kit from the currently available Wingnut Wings catalogue courtesy of Wingnut Wings
Winner – Ken Mouton USA ( P9o1r1sche) 1/32 scratchbuilt Hanriot HD2
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10117.135

Major prizes – 1/32 Nieuport XVII kits from Edgar Liepinsh of Copper State Models
Mike Norris- Sandbagger - United Kingdom- 1/32 skeletal Fokker D.VII
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10223.135
Brad Cancian Australia – 1/48 Albatros D.Va
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10149.60

Prize kits in various scales kindly donated by Roden Ltd to recognize modelling excellence in the GB builds.
Mike Norris - (Sandbagger) -UK
Eric Larson – USA
Guy Goodwin ( Gisbod) UK
Przemyslaw Litewka (PrzemoL) Poland
Frank Barkhofen- (Bughunter) - Germany
Andreas Holndonner – (Borsos) - Germany
Krzysztof Kosiak – (KrzysiekK)–  Poland
Terri Werner - Canada
Rick Geisler – (RAG III)- USA
Alistair Luke –(Aliluke)- NZ

Albatros Productions Wingnut Special publication from Ray Rimell
Ken Mouton USA ( P9o1r1sche) 1/32 scratchbuilt Hanriot HD2

Rigging- A package of  50 eyelets and 50 cut tube courtesy of Bob’s Buckles
Przemyslaw Litewka (PrzemoL) - Poland– 1/32 AEG G.IV
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10089.105

Special prize from Roden
Mark Wise (Bluesfan)  Roden Sopwith Triplane & Rolls-Royce armoured car
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10139.45

Aftermarket - A 1/32 scale Oberursal engine ( #3216) from Lukasz of Taurus
Mike Norris- (Sandbagger) –  UK – Skeletal Fokker D.VII
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10223.135

Propeller- A Propeller and set of hubs from the British collection courtesy of Alex Belov of Proper Plane.
Przemyslaw Litewka (PrzemoL) - Poland– 1/32 AEG G.IV

Best finish – prize of wheels and propeller hubs sponsored by Proper Plane
Guy Goodwin- (Gisbod)- 1/32 Halberstadt CL.II
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10158.0

Two sets of decals from existing stock or pre-orders ( excluding Limited Editions) courtesy of Pheon Decals.
Frank Barkhofen- ( Bughunter) – Germany – 1/48 Eduard Fokker D.VII
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10098.105

Best Albatros- A copy of the new virtual model airplane “Aircraft in Pixels 2/ Albatros D.V” courtesy of Flugzeugwerke
Brad Cancian – Australia – 1/48 scale Albatros D.Va diorama

A special prize of a kit from Des Delatorre’s own stash.
Przemyslaw Litewka- (PrzemoL) Poland – 1/32 AEG G.IV

A WW1 kit from Forum Owner &  Administrator Dave Wilson
Brad Cancian- Australia – 1/48 scale Albatros D.Va diorama
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10149.60

Our warmest congratulations to the winners and sincere thanks to everyone who entered and made this GB such a successful and heartfelt tribute to Des.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Congratulations to all the winners (and participants).  Des would be extremely happy with the quality and quantity of all the truly magnificent builds.

Offline RAGIII

I am Honored to be recognized in a Group Build that included such spectacular Builds. Congrats to Ken, Mike, and Brad on the Very Well Deserved Honors. I have had the privilege of seeing the Hanriot in person and it is indeed a Model worthy of the Grand Prize! Most of all I want to thank Dave for Organizing the build, all of the Modelers for participating, the Judges for doing a great job under difficult circumstances, and God Bless Des for Starting this Great Forum!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

I echo everything Rick says. Especially to thank Dave, the judges and the sponsors.

Ken's Hanriot was one of my picks as was Mike's and Brad's models. I feel honoured to be among all of these great model makers. It was all about the making for me and the tribute to Des. Time to get on with the next one!!!

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Many thanks to
Dave for organizing this great event
Judges for they effort to choose the winners
All the awardees, I am honored to have competed with all of you
All who participated.
Des would surely be proud to see this GB, I do believe he sees it from up there...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:12:26 AM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Bughunter

Congratulation to all winners! Des would like all the great outcome of this group build.
The jury had a really hard job, but chose really great models.

And can sign all the comments above, it was a great pleasure to take part.

Thank you Dave for the work in the background!

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

I also can only echoe what is already said. My gratitude goes towards Dave and his amazing  work he does in running this forum and organizing this group build, towards the judges who did a great job and towards all participants of this build for letting me being a part of it. I feel honored to be recognized and would like to give my „Cheers!“ and my congratulations to Ken, Mike and Brad for their amazing builds.
It was a real pleasure to take part on this extraordinary group build. I am convinced that Des liked this, wherever he might be now.
All the best
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
Likewise, many many thanks Dave + sponsors + judges for organising this competition. The results have been a very fitting tribute to Des and Adrienne and have been an impressive showcase of the excellent work done by modelers on this forum. I feel very humble to be on that list at all, and in awe of the Grand and Major prize winners - and everyone else, to be honest. I love that Hanriot!

If it's possible to pull something like this together next year, I can see everyone pushing their standards to better what they've already done this time around.

Big cheers,
Mark

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Many thanks for
Dave for organizing this great event
Judges for they effort to choose the winners
All the awardees, I am honored to have competed with all of you
All who participated.
Des would surely be proud to see this GB, I do believe he sees it from up the.

Prze,
 Congratulations!
Please let me know the size tube required and scale of eyelet.
Once I have those details the goodies will follow in rapid order!

Well done everyone!
von B  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
It was a great honor to take part in the GB in honor of our Friend Des  . He would have been very stoked on the quailty of the builds and subject range and encouragement shared with everyone .
Congrats to all of the winners , very well eared ! And a big thanks to all of the judges , who did not have an easy task before them . Dave for setting it all up and the GB donors for the wonderful prizes . Most of all for Des , who brought all of us together  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eclarson

Re: Announcing the winners of the Des Delatorre Memorial Group Build competition
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 11:34:04 PM »
Congratulations to all the winners!  I too must add my thanks to Dave, the judges, and sponsors for their efforts in putting together this terrific group build.
It was an honor to be part of it and I'm delighted to have been listed amongst the recognized entrants. 

Cheers,
Eric

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: Announcing the winners of the Des Delatorre Memorial Group Build competition
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 12:27:38 AM »
I am very happy to be honored with the grand prize of this inaugural Des Delatorre Memorial Group Build.  Or course, the best prize is the model that was created for the build as it represents a lot of 'firsts' for me as a builder.  I had thought about building the Hanriot for some time but the group build was the impetus to do it!

I want to publicly thank Dave for organizing and running this build, the judges for doing the truly difficult job of ranking these builds, and the sponsors for donation of the great prizes.  I also want to recognize Des' vision for this forum as place for people to learn about the Great War and remember the sacrifices of those who fought it.

Congratulations to Mike and Brad, as well as all the other prize winners, as they were well deserved.

I had a great time participating in this build and I believe it was a lot of fun for all who took part in it.  Now I'm looking forward to the current builds going on and those of the future!

Keep on modeling!

Ken Mouton

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 02:28:44 AM »
As all have said above. Well done everyone, the standard was incredibly high!

The three main winners are fabulous! Well done indeed, and well deserved.

Thanks to Dave especially for organising - when’s the next one?!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 03:04:08 AM »
Congratulations to all the participants for some spectacular models, and especially to the winners who most certainly earned their rewards. I was too busy to enter this year but will most certainly participate in what must surely be an annual event in Des' honour.

Ian

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:40 AM »
congrats to the winners.

and to those not even mentioned. haven't seen 'em all but from what i've seen the worst build of this lot is freakin' spectacular, Des would be proud i'm sure.

also looking forward to seeing the ones not finished yet cross the finish line.