Author Topic: Completed - Sopwith Triplane & Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Roden  (Read 6626 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Completed - Sopwith Triplane & Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Roden
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »
Looks fantastic. Des would have loved seeing the Roden kit built to this standard! The whole scene is great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2019, 10:05:17 PM »
I spent more time than expected  on the Tommy's War figure, just because it was a lot of fun. They're beautifully sculpted and some of the detail they work in is mid-boggling. For instance, on looking at the picture on the box, I was a little grumpy about the need to fashion a cigarette (You think that's easy? Just try it! :)  )... until I noticed that it had indeed been included, attached to another piece.
Though how to make the rifle strap was a puzzle. But they make it easy to attach whatever one comes up with.
A typical jack tar... Though his smoking would have probably not been appreciated so close to the highly flammable Triplane   ;)

Now if only some of the various wonderful figure sculptors we are so blessed with could come up with some ordinary ratings in working clothes, to go along with RN seaplanes or Ship's Camels...

Mark
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 01:22:24 AM by Bluesfan »

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
Many thanks Rick!

Third picture, a view from above.
Yes, the aircraft has been parked very foolishly close to the vehicle track.
Oh, and I can draw your attention to the inspection windows on the Triplane. It turned out to be easier than expected to cut out the sections from the decals, luckily they were the easy to handle Pheon ones. But I was very glad that Roden moulded the interiors this time around (true, they missed out the drag wire windows - I 'choose to believe' that they were painted over on this plane). It makes a load of difference in 1:32.

Mark

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2019, 10:37:28 PM »
Final picture.

The main subject of this scene is absolutely the Sopwith Triplane.
I was interested in the type beforehand, and building this model has only boosted my appreciation of the modest genius behind both its conception and its operation. It was perfect for its brief moment in history; it made a big impact on its opposition, it was the mount of many of the great naval pilots, and it paved the way for the Camel. Given the attention usually given to Collishaw's later two-gun Triplane, I felt that his N5492 deserved this humble tribute.

But I must pay tribute once more to Des, his nurturing of this forum and his encouragement and inspiring of modellers of all standards. I very much doubt if I'd be spending quite so much time on this wonderful and satisfying hobby if it weren't for him.

Cheers
Mark

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2019, 02:20:48 AM »
Congratulations on finishing!  Looks great.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2019, 04:03:33 AM »
That looks really good - an interesting little vignette, very well presented and different.

Stephen.

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »
Thanks for looking!
The scene now has an acrylic case on top. No danger of dust and future clumsy attempts to wipe it off! :) Except of course some of that grass flock is already floating up on to the acrylic  ::)
Overall I'm very pleased with this effort, and hugely admiring of everything I've seen on other modellers' threads for this group build. I'd love to think next year's group build will have a similar level of support.

Mark

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
Very nice builds!!

Steve