Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 434152 times)

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2475 on: April 05, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
Per the other thread about  NEWS from WNW--NEW KIT - from Richard A. about April 20-21, let the speculation begin:

The obvious choice is the long awaited DR. 1 as a MvR Special, with profiles, multiple decals for crosses & serial #s for ALL the Tripes he flew.

But then WNW has hardly done the obvious in the past. So maybe a new Albatros D-III, after all he scored more victories (21) in 2253/17 than any other a/c.

OR for something from right field like WNW so often does: the Halberstadt D-II as MvR had 12 victories in it.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Dekenba

« Reply #2476 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
My money is on an obscure German two seater.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2477 on: April 05, 2018, 08:32:38 AM »
Perhaps filling missing number in the camels 32075...  With a comic Camel pretty please... or a BE2 or 1 1/2 strutter

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2478 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
I still have 6 1:32 kits and 4 1:72 kits to be built. Far too much for me to feel comfortably. So I would prefer they released/announced something what would not tempt me to expand the stash. Let it be that Dr.I which, like Junk D.I does not appeal to me at all  ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2479 on: April 05, 2018, 08:45:46 AM »
Just reread the post, this show is April 21st? 2018.  Erm 1918 april 21st is a rather specific day...
Ray

Dekenba

« Reply #2480 on: April 05, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
Just reread the post, this show is April 21st? 2018.  Erm 1918 april 21st is a rather specific day...
Ray

WNW don't go in for the "commemoration" boxings.

I'd be staggered if they started.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2481 on: April 05, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
Ray

WNW don't go in for the "commemoration" boxings.

I'd be staggered if they started.

I agree. While I would love a brand new tool Dr.1 (who wouldn't?) I think that it is too obvious, they have pretty much already gone on record as saying that they won't touch the triplane, and as we have seen in the past WNW love to come out of left field with their surprises. If they were to do something for the Richthofen commemoration, and that is a big if, my guess would be another re pop of the Albatros DV/DVa trilogy but this time for Jasta 11. All that being said though, I would love for WNW to prove me wrong, gee whiz could you imagine how many kits they would have to pop out, the thing would probably sell out on pre orders alone!
Since this is a speculation/wishlist thread I'll throw one in. I have always wondered why WNW hasn't completed the FE.2 line with the 'D' model. I'm no expert by any means (so please correct me if I'm wrong) but I imagine that it wouldn't take much, just new sprues for the cockpit/engine tub and the engine. WNW have made it clear why they haven't done the Viper SE.5a as in the crossover with Roden, but there isn't conflict with the Fee. Very strange.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2482 on: April 05, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
How about a DrI and RE8 combo?
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2483 on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
Now yer talkin'.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #2484 on: April 05, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
Anyone here think WnW will hit us with a surprise on April 21 2018? Something with three wings that (sometimes) comes in red...?  ;D

Just saying... First part is now true at least – a surprise around april 21st 2018.  ;D

Oh and to further bump my theory, I've started on the Roden DR.1 with scratch building and AM items galore...  ;)

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Online macsporran

« Reply #2485 on: April 05, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Ach, it won't be the Sopwith Triplane copy. Too many of the damn things already. (Countless more kits than actual planes produced!)

A Halberstadt would be welcome though - either a D type or a C type.

Dekenba

« Reply #2486 on: April 05, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »
It seems to me that WNW produce model aeroplane kits purely for the love of WWI aeroplanes as flying machines.

They've ignored all sorts of anniversaries, they've produced model kits in no chronological order, they've not had any pilot themes, they've tried not to be too political and they've very much concentrated on aeroplanes, with pilot details almost a footnote.

I don't see that changing. Ultimately, these machines didn't kill killed many thousands of people, it was the pilots who flew them. Focusing on the machine, rather than the pilot, depersonalised the death and suffering t a degree.

It's an approach that I think WNW have got absolutely right. I'd be rather disappointed to see them changing this. After all, Pheon & Aviattic cover that approach very well.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2487 on: April 05, 2018, 08:19:24 PM »
Ach, it won't be the Sopwith Triplane copy...

the original triplane... Black Flight Trilogy.

Or introduce the Comic Camel by boxing it with a Gotha.

that said, a Halbertstadt D.II with Richtofen's markings would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

i'm never going to be able to keep my money in my bank account am i.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2488 on: April 05, 2018, 08:37:41 PM »

that said, a Halbertstadt D.II with Richtofen's markings would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

If you are talking about the Halberstadt he may have flown from Velu during the early days of Jasta 2, this would seem unlikely, as AFAIK no photo has surfaced of it (nor confirmation whether it was a D.II or D.I)... when he wrote about flying 'a backup' machine, he could have just as easily been talking about the Fokker D.I they had on hand (actually makes more sense to me, the Halberstadt D was by most accounts a decent fighter, most would have preferred it over the clumsy Fokker D.III that Boelcke flew at the time....)

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #2489 on: April 05, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
Ach, it won't be the Sopwith Triplane copy. Too many of the damn things already. (Countless more kits than actual planes produced!)

A Halberstadt would be welcome though - either a D type or a C type.

Halberstadt CL would be sweet...
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.