Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430422 times)

Offline mike in calif

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2490 on: April 05, 2018, 11:04:29 PM »
Just a slight drift...
 To what extent would a WNW Dr-I be better than the Roden kit? Obviously the decals, and I'm sure some of the components would be engineered differently.
, but I'm curious how much better it would be. Of course, a Flying Circus trilogy boxing might sell well.
My personal: give us something on floats. Sopwith baby, or a Short 184(IIRC)

Dekenba

« Reply #2491 on: April 05, 2018, 11:24:17 PM »
For me, Roden's Dr.I is a very decent kit.  PART of Poland offer a PE set with a ridiculous amount of additional detail.

Encore's kit is even better, with a load of resin, PE & decals.

Roden's kit is available for £25. £25!! Encore's can be got for around $35.

Wingnut Wings will be around £75. THREE times the price.

So I'd prefer WNW to kit something we don't already have.

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #2492 on: April 05, 2018, 11:43:30 PM »
Just a slight drift...
 To what extent would a WNW Dr-I be better than the Roden kit? Obviously the decals, and I'm sure some of the components would be engineered differently.
, but I'm curious how much better it would be. Of course, a Flying Circus trilogy boxing might sell well.

It's an interesting point – I built two DR.1s when the kit first came out around 2005, long before we could even dream of WnW. To me then, it was a zillion miles better than anything we had in 1:32 scale. I still think it's a decent kit, and as I'm now starting to build the Roden kit, it'll be interesting to get the feel of it through the "WnW filter" if you get what I mean. I'm sure it'll build well and look OK – especially with the Aviattic Streaky decals and engine cowling + Eduard etch set. I even bought the WnW engine. Might even pop for a couple of AM Spandaus as well.

As to why WnW may do this release anyway? – I think you said it. A boxing of this will sell like hot cakes – a triple of tripes even more so. And it'll reach those now converted to WWI plane modelling – who are spoilt with WnWs, and won't dare go for something branded Roden or Special Hobby...

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2493 on: April 06, 2018, 12:12:11 AM »
I know WNW has not gone for the Anniversary thing in the past but they have used actual Duels in their Duelist kits in the past. So the way is open for an MvR bird vs something else. Also IIRC the Duelists have always included at least one New release. That being said who knows what they would choose. Two OOP kits like the Albatros DV and the RE8, Albatros DV and Pup, Albatros DV and SE5a etc. There could be a DR1, after all thy do have the Obereusel URII sprue already done! So an F1 and Pup?. How about a DH2 and Albatros DII  8)

The mention of a Jasta 11 Albatros trilogy is interesting. How about 4 in a box, one for each JG1 Jasta. Or 2 Pfalz DIIIa and 2 Albatri  ::)

What I really think is that WNW knows the date will get Most of us thinking MvR. Since they love that Left Field Hit I guess that the release will be Nothing to do with MvR.

SPA XVI  ;D

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2494 on: April 06, 2018, 12:21:53 AM »
A "Flying Circus" trilogy set? Pfalz DIIIa, Fok. DVII, and a Tripe?
 Of course a Tripe and Se5a Duallist would be interesting......

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2495 on: April 06, 2018, 02:24:42 AM »
If you are talking about the Halberstadt he may have flown from Velu during the early days of Jasta 2, this would seem unlikely, as AFAIK no photo has surfaced of it ......

...on the other hand, obviously no evidence has surfaced proving that he did not fly the Halb - so if Jeff wants to model one as a machine flown by the infamous little man, (or WNW to offer it as a possibility) who are we to say definitively that he or they are wrong?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2496 on: April 06, 2018, 04:29:02 AM »
If you are talking about the Halberstadt he may have flown from Velu during the early days of Jasta 2, this would seem unlikely, as AFAIK no photo has surfaced of it ......

...on the other hand, obviously no evidence has surfaced proving that he did not fly the Halb - so if Jeff wants to model one as a machine flown by the infamous little man, (or WNW to offer it as a possibility) who are we to say definitively that he or they are wrong?

Of course. I don't disagree, and certainly it's fun to pretend  -- it's just that it would be out of character for WNW to offer a marking option based purely on speculation. Have they done that to date? I can't think of an example. Maybe the markings for the duelist Camels, but they're based on at least something -- AFAIK not even the serial number is known for the oddball Jasta 2 Halberstadt D, let alone what mark it was... Richtofen could've flown it, but also possibly not. But maybe there's more out there.

BTW, I would love a Halberstadt D-anything too -- so much that I have been gathering materials for a scratch build, I just need to really dig in to to guarantee a WNW release...

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2497 on: April 06, 2018, 06:46:35 AM »
-- it's just that it would be out of character for WNW to offer a marking option based purely on speculation. Have they done that to date? I can't think of an example.

I'm in Funchal, Madeira at the moment for my step daughter's wedding so have no access to sources and maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I thought I recalled a speculative option on a WNW Fokker DVII kit or decal sheet, for markings for Udet and his Lo! machine.
Whatever - we agree that a Halberstadt of any plumage would be most welcome.🎰

Online petrov27

« Reply #2498 on: April 06, 2018, 07:06:50 AM »
Just a slight drift...

Hmm. I agree the Roden is not bad. I would hope that WNW version would have:
-better horizontal tailplane without the strange middle section that the Roden has
-rib tape detail
-better cowling with improved lower lip, retaining strap etc
-probably some improvements on the interior bits - the seat, ammo bins, gun feed chutes, etc
-I thought I heard or read somewhere the Roden wings were just a bit over-long? Like one rib bay too many? However they look good to me as is so maybe that is untrue...
-maybe easier to build? But maybe not? I would personally say the Roden is an easy to build kit
-overall fidelity of the plastic parts - sharper details etc

A fair amount of aftermarket from Aviattic and others already improve the Roden kit to a very nice standard. So overall, I have been one of those not really pushing for WNW to do the DrI, but certainly I am sure they would do a very nice kit of it and I would get one

-Patrick

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2499 on: April 06, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »

I'm in Funchal, Madeira at the moment for my step daughter's wedding so have no access to sources and maybe my memory is playing tricks, but I thought I recalled a speculative option on a WNW Fokker DVII kit or decal sheet, for markings for Udet and his Lo! machine.

I suppose you mean this one...  yeah, some speculation there I guess but at least there are photos...

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2500 on: April 06, 2018, 05:26:47 PM »
I just throw in this thought:
What about their figures? Maybe they release them now.
Or it is a Lloyd 40.08 Luftkreuzer 8)
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2501 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:35 PM »
I just throw in this thought:
What about their figures? Maybe they release them now.
Or it is a Lloyd 40.08 Luftkreuzer 8)
Bye,
Manni

Anything is possible. They Never said it was a new kit announcement  :-[
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2502 on: April 06, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »

I suppose you mean this one...  yeah, some speculation there I guess but at least there are photos...

I don't recall 4253/18 as speculative, but his first Fokker D VII. with the famous "Du doch nicht!" There is only this photo available:

So that one let to much debate about the candy striping (red? black?) the white lines from the tail to the cockpit (There was even a theory that Udet just held a book under his right arm...), the engine/manufacturer/cowling hatches of that bird, a black Jasta 4 nose or an entirely red fuselage... and so on.
I always loved this sheme so I went a little deeper in it's discussion-- some 15 years ago. I don't know if there's a definite answer or a second picture appeared meanwhile...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #2503 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:53 AM »
Just a slight drift...

Hmm. I agree the Roden is not bad. I would hope that WNW version would have:
-better horizontal tailplane without the strange middle section that the Roden has
-rib tape detail
-better cowling with improved lower lip, retaining strap etc
-probably some improvements on the interior bits - the seat, ammo bins, gun feed chutes, etc
-I thought I heard or read somewhere the Roden wings were just a bit over-long? Like one rib bay too many? However they look good to me as is so maybe that is untrue...
-maybe easier to build? But maybe not? I would personally say the Roden is an easy to build kit
-overall fidelity of the plastic parts - sharper details etc

A fair amount of aftermarket from Aviattic and others already improve the Roden kit to a very nice standard. So overall, I have been one of those not really pushing for WNW to do the DrI, but certainly I am sure they would do a very nice kit of it and I would get one
   And I am sure WNW would furnish said triplane with a windscreen....which Roden does not...don't ask me why....Richard @ Aviattic? Whaddaya say?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2504 on: April 11, 2018, 01:03:44 AM »
Maybe they could put TWO in, so we could retro-fit the Roden kits out there?