Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430568 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2505 on: April 11, 2018, 01:11:06 AM »
Just a slight drift...
 To what extent would a WNW Dr-I be better than the Roden kit? Obviously the decals, and I'm sure some of the components would be engineered differently.

Hmm. I agree the Roden is not bad. I would hope that WNW version would have:
-better horizontal tailplane without the strange middle section that the Roden has
-rib tape detail
-better cowling with improved lower lip, retaining strap etc
-probably some improvements on the interior bits - the seat, ammo bins, gun feed chutes, etc
-I thought I heard or read somewhere the Roden wings were just a bit over-long? Like one rib bay too many? However they look good to me as is so maybe that is untrue...
-maybe easier to build? But maybe not? I would personally say the Roden is an easy to build kit
-overall fidelity of the plastic parts - sharper details etc

A fair amount of aftermarket from Aviattic and others already improve the Roden kit to a very nice standard. So overall, I have been one of those not really pushing for WNW to do the DrI, but certainly I am sure they would do a very nice kit of it and I would get one
   And I am sure WNW would furnish said triplane with a windscreen....which Roden does not...don't ask me why....Richard @ Aviattic? Whaddaya say?

No one has mentioned the bulkhead behind the seat. Roden has no stitching represented and lacks the curved upper portion. I also think the wing tie fit and construction would be improved upon. This is coming from a Roden Lover who has built 4 of their DR1/F1 kits and has a 5th in the stash.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2506 on: April 11, 2018, 01:24:17 AM »
yeah but if you had to choose between a WNW be2/dh4/Paralyzer/Hanroit or whatever it would replace...

is the extra work on a Roden Driedecker annoying enough to strike one of the-never-seen-1/32 off the list?

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2507 on: April 11, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »
yeah but if you had to choose between a WNW be2/dh4/Paralyzer/Hanroit or whatever it would replace...

is the extra work on a Roden Driedecker annoying enough to strike one of the-never-seen-1/32 off the list?

My answer is definitely NO  ::)
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2508 on: April 11, 2018, 01:37:44 AM »
Yah Borsos I'll admit it was a leading question...

I'd be a crap lawyer.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2509 on: April 11, 2018, 01:41:56 AM »

I'd be a crap lawyer.

You'll be charged to read all the 167 pages "Time for the annual Wingnut speculation" without even a single break.
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2510 on: April 11, 2018, 02:00:37 AM »

I'd be a crap lawyer.

You'll be charged to read all the 167 pages "Time for the annual Wingnut speculation" without even a single break.

i'm ashamed to admit my homework is finished.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2511 on: April 11, 2018, 11:35:25 AM »
Perhaps we will get a BE2 a, b, c e in multiple boxings like the camels
I know I’m dreaming
Ray

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2512 on: April 11, 2018, 10:59:13 PM »
Perhaps we will get a BE2 a, b, c e in multiple boxings like the camels
I know I’m dreaming
Ray

Add a BE12 for my 19 squadron collection and I am all in  8)
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2513 on: April 11, 2018, 11:11:44 PM »

Your question may be leading but not enough to deter this answer. I DO Not Believe WNW would ditch or not do a project of an aircraft not yet released in order to produce a DR1. If they announce it you can believe it is and was part of the Master Plan  8) So in other words I don't think my WNW SPAD XII has been cancelled by a DR1   8)  So, although I would not throw out my remaining Roden kit, I would be in for as many WNW DR1s as I could afford. Still need to build about 4 at least! My list of kits I want is somewhat limited by my choice to do Squadron Histories with only a few other WW1 aircraft making it into my collection I usually end up selling those for something I want that is in the parameters of my collection anyway  ;D

RAGIII

PS: No ill will though when WNW releases something that is exciting for others!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2514 on: April 12, 2018, 03:11:49 AM »
So, in other words, I don't think my WNW SPAD XII

ooooh. SPAD XII? I'd build most of the very few that existed... that's my secret dream I don't say out loud...

I wouldn't load up on the DR.1s the way I will on the Copper State Nieuports, but I'd get a few. I'll go ahead and build the Encore Voss, but I'd probably do the other 2 prototypes, *that* red dreidecker, and Jacobs. that's basically what I've already got in my spreadsheet for Roden though. it wouldn't increase if WNW does one. but it might make the build easier.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #2515 on: April 12, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »
Who's to say an up to date rendition of the Dr.1 might not come from a different source.  Someone could be reading this from somewhere other than WnW and think... "Hmmm kerching."

It could be a real earner for companies already dipping their toes in the 1:32nd market or even a company like ICM who are known for producing pretty good kits of some unusual genres plus a lot of WW1 ground troops in 1:35. 

Look how nice CSMs cad renderings of the Neiuport look, easy to imagine the same for a Dr.1    Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons as they say
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2516 on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »
I'd say that if anyone else does a Dr-1, I hope it is better than the roden kit. We all win that way.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #2517 on: April 12, 2018, 11:43:14 PM »
Who's to say an up to date rendition of the Dr.1 might not come from a different source.

Then that would be speculation for another thread
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline krow113

« Reply #2518 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:12 AM »
I'll say it could be a Gotha G V.
But an O/400 still my hope.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #2519 on: April 13, 2018, 05:17:14 AM »
I wouldn't mind a British bomber to counter the two German bombers, so an 0/400 is good. Just for giggles, how about a Staaken?