Author Topic: Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit  (Read 19965 times)

Offline rayb24

Re: Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
I’d love a Breguet B14 rather than a Hanriot. Sorry I’ve always found the Hanriot a little boring.
Or a Caudron to match the 1/48th ones

Oh of course a  BE2, a Comic Camel, Friedrichachafen GIV. I mean we have to round out the German Twin engined bombers and it’s something for the Camel to play with too.
lastly a fairey seaplane please. With a cherry on top ;)

Ray

Offline macsporran

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2018, 04:36:48 PM »
I’d love a Breguet B14 rather than a Hanriot. Sorry I’ve always found the Hanriot a little boring.

Isn't it funny how we all view these things differently. No offence, Ray - and each to his own, of course, but I have never warmed to the Br14.

Probably dates back to me as an eager kid searching out each new Aurora biplane as it hit the shops. I remember I was on holiday with my folks in Buckingham and found the Breguet in a local shop - excitement level, through the roof. Couldn't wait to get the box home and open it.

Oh the disappointment! This slab sided thing lay inside, looking like it could have been assembled from some packing crates. Flat wings, flat fuselage, flat tail, flat featureless face. Yeuch!
After the graceful Albatros C, Halberstadt, Jenny, Dh4, F2b, (and the Merit 504K) what drove Aurora to release this monster? (I know - obviously needed a French two seater)

Anyway, since then, the Br's charms have totally passed me by!
If WNW release one I'll be happy for others, but probably forego myself.
S

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #92 on: May 17, 2018, 08:30:47 PM »
I feel I must speak up for the Breguet 14, having like you rayb24 found it offputtingly bricklike at first. In fact, there's one particular photo which appears in lots of reference books, which doesn't help at all - it shows the plane perched up on a tail support, in a way which somehow emphasises the clumsy looking undercarriage. You probably know the one I mean.

But it was a stalwart, a strong and tough machine built in huge numbers. Actually, the reason I really warmed to it was its use postwar, in particular the part it played in the early pioneering of air routes down through the Sahara by Latécoère. And its military service lasted a similar length to that of the Bristol Fighter. Also, note well, from the modeler's point of view, a huge range of schemes is possible.

Having said all that, I too would love to see a Hanriot...

Mark

Offline Borsos

« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2018, 10:02:38 PM »
It is fascinating that every thread that has anything to do with new WNW releases turns into a wishlist for future WNW releases. This discussion here started with pictures of the (hopefully) soon to be release Halberstadt Cl. II and things that stand in direct connection with it (profiles from Ronny Bar, color finishes, ...). It made an unexpected but nevertheless interesting turn into literature (I had never heard of "winged victory" before, but ordered immediately a copy after reading these posts...) and now we are finally back on what is also done in several other threads (like in the "annual Wingnut speculation").
Ok then ... I want a ponny.  ;D
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2018, 11:36:00 PM »
Ha well this is true on other model forums I go to as well. There will be the "Tamiya releasing new Me109" post and then:

"yay lord knows we need a good 109!!!"
then
"not another dang Me109 im so disappointed!!!"
then
"they need/should/must release subjects X, Y and Z for reasons, A, B and C"

Im as guilty as anyone else responding with wish lists at that point :)
-Patrick

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2018, 12:28:09 AM »
It's actually worse on some other forums. Someone (who's probably not a WWI/biplane fan) will usually pipe up with "Wingnut should branch out (or abandon WWI), and release the definitive early P-40!" Or B-29, a Spitfire variant that hasn't been done recently, or some Luftwaffe item that hasn't been kitted a thousand times, or F2H Banshee (since Kitty Hawk screwed theirs up), or, marginally more appropriate, some Golden Age biplane. I actually saw a post once that WNW making only WWI subjects "nobody cares about" was a "waste of resources"! I try to be patient, and state that I hope WNW sticks to what they do best, and not abandon our neglected little niche of Great War aeroplane fans, forgotten by most other manufacturers for so long! Wingnut has earned a reputation for quality, even among those who aren't interested in any of the subjects they have made, and some act as if there's no other manufacturer out there that will ever do justice to their favorite subject. (My closet & garage show that I certainly have nothing against most of those other subjects, and would also welcome a modern, correct F2H-2 and -3. Hasn't yet been a good one in 1/48 to replace the old Hawk kit from the '50's. But not WNW)

That said, since WNW has ventured into the postwar era a bit with Ninak, Biff, and now the Junkers D.1, a few Yellow Wings subjects would be nice to see. After all, Sir Peter himself even manned the gunner's seat in one of the planes for "King Kong"! (Still, even those can wait a bit until we have a few more that have been mentioned in this and other threads). As for me, I'd love a Hanriot and a Breguet 14!

Rich
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:20:36 PM by Petie2nd »

Offline James

Exclusive look at the new Wingnuts kit
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:57 AM »
It's actually worse on some other forums. Someone (who's probably not a WWI/biplane fan) will usually pipe up with "Wingnut should branch out (or abandon WWI), and release the definitive early P-40!" Or B-29, a Spitfire variant that hasn't been done recently, or some Luftwaffe item that hasn't been kitted a thousand times, or F2H Banshee (since Kitty Hawk screwed theirs up), or, marginally more appropriate, some Golden Age biplane. I actually saw a post once that WNW making only WWI subjects "nobody cares about" was a "waste of resources"! I try to be patient, and state that I hope WNW sticks to what they do best, and not abandon our neglected little niche of Great War aeroplane fans, forgotten by most other manufacturers for so long! Wingnut has earned a reputation for quality, even among those who aren't interested in any of the subjects they have made, and some act as if there's no other manufacturer out there that will ever do justice to their favorite subject. (My closet & garage show that I certainly have nothing against most of those other subjects, and would also welcome a modern, correct F2H-1 and -3. Hasn't yet been a good one in 1/48 to replace the old Hawk kit from the '50's. But not WNW)

That said, since WNW has ventured into the postwar era a bit with Ninak, Biff, and now the Junkers D.1, a few Yellow Wings subjects would be nice to see. After all, Sir Peter himself even manned the gunner's seat in one of the planes for "King Kong"! (Still, even those can wait a bit until we have a few more that have been mentioned in this and other threads). As for me, I'd love a Hanriot and a Breguet 14!

Rich

I'm glad WNW only do World War I aircraft and they do an amazing job. If they did venture into World War II aircraft, everyone would start bitching if they did a Bf-109, P-51, Spitfire, etc. Yeah, some of us might not like some of the things WNW has put out, but WNW are putting out some of the best 1/32 World War I aircraft and there are a few that might not have ever been done, if not for WNW.

Rich, would love to see an F-86A being done, and I'm with you on a good F2H-2 Banshee from the Korean War.

The WNW Halberstadt looks really sweet.

James
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2018, 07:09:22 AM »
I'm glad WnW are staying in their niche.  And I'm grateful for the 50-some-odd kits they've made.  Wish I could afford em all.  But even if I could, I think the Grim Reaper would claim me before I finished all that have been put out to date.

Damn full-time job!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2018, 04:47:24 AM »
I'm glad WnW are staying in their niche.  And I'm grateful for the 50-some-odd kits they've made.  Wish I could afford em all.  But even if I could, I think the Grim Reaper would claim me before I finished all that have been put out to date.

Damn full-time job!

Gaz

Truly said, I think we should all be grateful for what WnW has produced. We truly are in the Golden Era of WWI modeling.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2018, 12:53:03 AM »
I too am happy with WNW doing what they do best in 1/32. I've taken great pains to explain that they are the only I/M kits that venture into the 1920s era of flying, AND there are plenty of other companies to make "other" models.
 What I think is happening, is that guys that model the "other" subjects, want their era kits made to the WNW standard. and I don't blame them.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:35 AM »
one thing i love about WNW: Sir Peter has decided he doesn't care what you (or I) think (to some degree anyway, they still hope to at least break even).

most of us aren't doing this as our job, are we? so what do we want to happen? we want our project to turn out OUR way. had i his resources i'd like to think i' take on some similar endeavors (as they put on tourist t-shirts here in Thailand, "same-same. but different.").

WNW need to just keep on truckin'.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »
Hear hear.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline rayb24

« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2018, 09:43:53 AM »
Much as Sir Peter may not care, I suspect he or some one keeps an eye on what we want WW1 wise. I love the fact that wnw are not doing me too models. I know that infuriates some, but there are good models of DR1’s and Spads. Maybe not shake and bake, but lol we are model builders, not constructors...

Now can I have a Friedrichshafen to finish the bombers and a comic Camel... just sayin

Ray

Offline Gene K

« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2018, 10:08:52 PM »
I love the fact that wnw are not doing me too models. I know that infuriates some... .

Grrrrrrr....... >:(

Gene K

Offline rayb24

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
I love the fact that wnw are not doing me too models. I know that infuriates some... .

Grrrrrrr....... >:(

Gene K
I wish there was a way to like posts. As I would have the on above....

Ok so DR1, lets face it, it was a 3 month wonder that got Voss, Wulf and MFR killed amongst others. Not saying it was bad an all, but its time had been and gone before it really became operational.

The 1/32 Roden model is perfectly fine I have one. Yes its not wnw level but a really nice aircraft can be built or corrected, and in the hands of some of the builders on here a masterpiece could be built. so why waste a WNW release with it.
Just saying....
Ray