Author Topic: The Gotha  (Read 49465 times)

Offline krow113

Re: The Gotha
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2018, 11:25:50 AM »
Small , I mean small , shapes cut for the re-enforcing ring around the air vents , and the retaining ring for the oil level sight glass. Cut out of hi-po black vinyl:

Took way longer than usual and getting some funky cuts, then I noticed the plotter carriage head was off kilter a little, left over from the last material jam. My Ioline is over 15 years old and has never given me trouble unless I manufacture the trouble for myself.

Offline krow113

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2018, 07:03:48 AM »
Check page 3 for the use of this:

I put a lotta work into this , I cant do any more at this point but this is a stopping point I can come back to.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2018, 10:16:21 PM »
Steve,
The small details and research you are putting into the engines will surely pay dividends in the final product! Well done.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2018, 01:55:54 AM »
Great progress. You‘ve got an eye for every detail.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline krow113

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
Thanks Rick and Borsos.

I'll leave this for a while. I had no intention of going into the engine work and you can see how it consumes me when I get started. Just my way and the way I was taught to approach work.
Last night I finished the mask set for the mid-lower wing part , part number B1 , the walkways and in betweens , and the openings in the underneath of the wing for the interior bombs to fall through.

And a shout out to Lukasz at Taurus , he is going to send me some replacement parts for the valve train set. I also ordered some more Taurus bits , the vents , ammo and a few other sets for the future.

Thanks for lookin' , thanks for commenting , and when I return we will be , hopefully , into some paint work.
Later.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:37:24 AM by krow113 »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
Here is another outstanding work I missed till now. Remarkably good research and application, and your engine will be a real beauty along with the entire plane.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline krow113

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2018, 11:46:48 AM »
Thanks Giuseppe
oops wrong forum.....

Offline krow113

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »
 I just could not have the ring of holes in the front of my Gotha.
And lamenting the lack of info and detail and photo evidence and every thing else , I'm starting to overlook some of the available pics.
 Page 47 of Gotha! the lower right pic shows the details of one of the ways that the gun ring was re-enforced to hold the Becker. The lower left also shows some additional parts to support the cannon.
Here they are cut from vinyl and applied, first the surrounding band:

Then the small rectangles applied:

The vinyl is very thin and tested the limits of my cutter. I still have to apply some hardware to the vertical rectangles.
I feel better now as I knew I would have to do this and I'm glad to get it done.
The order from Taurus should be here any time, I''ll then get on with finishing the engine valve train work on page 3. Worth a look as I've been adding to the post , keeping the progress and info in one place.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:15:27 AM by krow113 »

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
I never thought of using my Silhouette machine to make details...

very nice idea!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2018, 11:15:02 PM »
Your attention to detail is outstanding! Love your work.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline krow113

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2018, 12:13:53 AM »
I never thought of using my Silhouette machine to make details...

very nice idea!

Gaz

Lol
 Thanks Gaz and Rick!
Gaz if you wanna practise , the vertical rectangles are 1mm x 2mm.....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:28:13 PM by krow113 »

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2018, 03:39:04 AM »
Very nice built - I love these many small details.

Servus
Bertl

Offline krow113

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Thanks Bertl!
Your presence is appreciated and even more so as I move into the engine section of building, I have all of the pics you have supplied here and on the Aerodrome forum.
I recently met an elderly gent on the  island, he supplies me with cedar for my signwork. I asked him to translate the 2 pics in R.R.'s Gotha build book of the engines . He has done that and also told me he has been in contact with a freind of his in Germany who has worked for Bosch for his entire life! They are both in their late 70's and over the moon about my Gotha model. I will be able to get some primary  wiring info on the mags for the Mercedes DIVa engines.

And yes the vinyl cutter has some very good use's , adding details and replaceing details.
Here is my 30" Ioline cutter , heartily recommended as it is over 15 years old and in great shape:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 01:45:15 PM by krow113 »

Offline krow113

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »
And asked and answered on 2 forums for a cross section of input , the small panel that is better off being sanded away during the fuse joining , replaced with cut vinyl :

The panel dimensions were:
15.4 mm w x 11.2 mm l (front to back ) and is from .3 mm vinyl mask.
The panel is located .5 mm ahead of the wing leading edge , and directly on the fuse seam, the reason it goes!
On page 49 of Gotha! there is a photo. It appears to show the panel removed.
More fuse detail parts get installed:

And losing part number A57 had me plunge mould its counterpart :

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 01:54:52 PM by krow113 »

Offline krow113

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
Part number B3 for LVG built Gotha's , is a small fairing at the rear of the right side of the lower wing. Working from underneath I didn't realize that the location holes are out of line , soooo:

I thought the fit was a little 'loose' so examining the other side , part # B2 ,improperly marked as B3 in the instructions , I saw things were out of line. I was able to pry the part off and reinstall correctly:

Looks like fitting the lower wing will need to be checked... pretty minor in the scale of things but will need to be addressed if an LVG Gotha is being built.