Author Topic: Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?  (Read 11414 times)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:40:23 AM »
I have long been interested in why we are so involved in scale modeling. Most of us have been involved in this hobby for decades. Some of us build in a particular scale, or subject, perhaps era, and some, like me, buy what moves us and that may range the entire gamut of scale modeling. I have a particular interest in WWI air models although I have recently finished a Merkava IV, have another Wingnut Wings Eindecker in progress and am deeply into the Tamiya 1:48 Tomcat.

Given that the new Wingnut Wings offering has generated responses that are generally grouped into positives and negatives, this has prompted me to ask for your reasons why you would or would not buy this kit. I am merely looking to gather information on why we model what we do that might shed some light on the basic reasons we call ourselves modelers and spend so much time, energy, resources and conversations about this hobby.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline campingbaer66

Re: Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:50:24 AM »
I have bought more or less every Wingnut Kit within the last 4 years and build 18 of them until today including the Junkers J1.
But with this one I will make an exception.
It is to me the most ugly and none interesting plane they could choose  :-[.

Maybe I am ready to move away from WW1 modelling anyway after 3 years of only Wingnut Wings models and look for something else.
Last week I started the build of a 1:24 Airfix Typhoon and it is real fun.

And not as ugly as the Junkers D.1 !

Peter

Offline krow113

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:07:18 AM »
Does nothing for me.
I don't know why, but I cant get excited about it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:24:20 AM by krow113 »

Offline eclarson

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:25:51 AM »
I've been back and forth in my mind trying to answer that very question.  At one time I considered getting a Roden 1/48 Junkers D.1 but didn't as I eventually made the decision to stick to mainly 1/32 for WWI builds.  The existing Junkers J.1 is one of the very few WNW kits that holds no interest for me but something about the little D.1 intrigues me.  Perhaps it's the striking contrast between it and another WWI monoplane - my current WNW project, the Jeannin Stahltaube - which are separated by a mere 4 years.

Yes, it's ugly, but so are English Bulldogs and a lot of people own them.   ;D

Therefore, my current answer is yes, I'll get a D.1, but will wait until I find a good deal like I recently did with the Sopwith Dolphin through Lots Of Models. 

Cheers,
Eric 

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 04:31:53 AM »
For me, it's at the wrong end of the war, I much prefer the early 'planes. It has no romance about it, it isn't a famous aeroplane, it isn't a reliable old slogger like the BE2, it isn't a quirky failure and there are plenty of those

The thing that is interesting is how WNW have represented so much of the internal structure. The rib framing for instance

So, not an interesting aeroplane, might be an interesting kit to present, can't feel my hand going into my pocket

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline macsporran

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 04:33:12 AM »
I will quickly buy one as soon as available. To me it is an incredibly interesting aircraft, built of revolutionary materials and design and may have dictated a whole new direction of development if the war had lasted longer.

A different shape to sit beside my other Great War models with interesting colour options - and a very attractive machine in a steampunk kind of way.

I don't care if only forty were built, I'd have a Pfalz Dr.I too -and only 8 or 9 of them were operational. Funny nobody has slagged off the Jeannin Taube for only 40 examples.

I can see lots appearing on club tables - as red what-if Jasta Raben types, or crumbling hanger-wrecks, or as operational aircraft.

Brilliant choice WNW. Love It.

By the way I have no interest in the early stuff - Taubes, Bleriots, Alb B.II etc, but I don't slag them. Each to his own, happy that other's dreams are being realised too.
Sandy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:59:00 AM by macsporran »

Offline jknaus

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:43:16 AM »
I've got pretty well every WNW kit and really like them. Unfortunately my modeling has decreased and my modeling mojo has plummeted. Then when I do build my hands don't work like they should any more. I am getting the D.Is in the hopes that they will be quick builds that will rekindle my interest and maybe bulk up my modeling confidence. I'm kind of wavering on giving up completely but I've been building since I was a young pup and its hard to just pack it in. Maybe if I can get one built it will lead to another and another etc.
James

Offline Borsos

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »
Most of my modelling time which is in total about more than 22 years I built wwi stuff. Even as a child I built every Airfix, Esci and Revell  biplane I got my hands on and left every ww2 plane on the shop's shelf for them. When I started modelling again about 16 years ago in earnest I built almost exclusively wwi planes, tanks and dioramas first in 1:72 and 1/144, then in 1:48 and finally I switched to 1:32, WNW was mainly but not exclusively responsible for that.
I love modelling the history of WWI and am mainly interested in important aircraft -- "important" in the sense of the importance of a certain airplane for the air war of 1914/18. I am not so deep in building the machines of aces, but machines which were representative for a certain aera or battle. So a Fokker Eindecker and an early Nieuport are representative for the battle of Verdun 1916 for example. Given this and regarding the fact that so many important airplanes are not released in kitform yet (let's name Voisins, Farmans, Aviatiks, LVG C II, Halberstadts, Caudrons, and so on) I deeply regret that such an unimportant footnote of the airwar like the Junkers D. I is released as a high quality kit. It might be interesting from a technical point of view. But it's definitely not representative for what happened in the skies in the Great War.
I have every land based airplane released by WNW in my stash, some more than once. But I am neither interested in their Seaplanes nor in the Junkers D I.
The kit itself looks attractive for me and it is surely another hig end kit. Therefore I had rather seen a Voisin VIII or something else kitted in that way. I don't think I'll spend my money on the Junkers D. I. It's not even a real Great War plane in my opinion. Only that steampunk think sounds interesting for me...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Russell

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 07:13:51 AM »
I’ll buy one or perhaps two as it’s a very interesting aircraft & represents the end of German WWI development.

I can’t see how there’s a negative side to a WnW release of any aircraft (unless at some point they make a hash of one which is very unlikely).

Regards
Russell

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 08:12:05 AM »
I would buy it If I did 1/32 scale. Junkers aircraft have their own unique appeal. I like the J1 and the Stuka, even some of the multimotor planes. I drive a modded Jeep TJ 4x4, so I guess I go for the utilitarian style. I always liked the Klingon ships better too.
I do have the Roden 1/72 D1 on the cabinet.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »
My modelling is restricted to aircraft in 1/72 and 1/32 scale. Since 2006 I almost exclusively build WW1 related subjects. On the course I have also realised, many of great war aircraft can be built in Polish markings, and I am extremely  happy to do so. Then, to this background comes the most important issue. My favourite part of these builds is attaching more than one wing with all the struts and rigging involved! Rigging is the cherry on this cake. I might make an exception for some special Polish subject without rigging. That is why the recently released Junkers D.I cannot fit into my interest range. However I welcome any new WNW release, even if so remote as this one. I passed through the instruction booklet and the photos of sprues with great interest. And I noticed that nice comment by WNW at the end of the assembly process directed to WW1 novices encouraging them to try something with rigging and more wings if they enjoyed building D.I. This is how I understand this release, too. An encouragement and a possible investment into new clients. So, even though I will not buy one unless I will have built all their rigged biplanes beforehand, I do not hesitate to say " well done WNW'!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Dean

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 09:29:35 AM »
I'll buy one.

It's Wingnut Wings. It'll be an enjoyable build, it will be a comparatively easy build and I enjoy lesser known, quirky types more than anything. I prefer this to the WNW Camel, for instance.

Offline petero

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
I’ll seriously consider buying one, once Lots of Models has a sale. I love ugly, stocky airplanes, as well as the advanced technology it had.

Peter

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 11:04:27 AM »
Probably not (at the moment), but who knows.  I'm a pretty fickle modeler.  Przemo and Andreas have summed up my feelings on this one pretty well.  To me, it looks like an early WWII aircraft and therefore, not really my cup o' tea, but who knows.  Maybe when I've built all 300+ WWI kits in my stash, I'll have a go at it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rayb24

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 11:21:33 AM »
I will buy it. Junkers was my favourite engineer/designer. Who created ground breaking machines. Maybe not the best organizer, but take a look at his wings shapes.  Methinks a DR1, DVII owe something to when Fokker was trying to organize Junkers factory..

Also he stuck to his guns in the 30’s and it cost him his company and shortened his life.. got to admire that...

I have the D1 in 1/72 so 1/32 would be a fun build
Ray