Author Topic: Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?  (Read 11295 times)

Offline rhwinter

Re: Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
I am historian, so many of my decisions to buy a kit are driven by the fact that there’s a story behind it. Then I am addicted to beauty, so the look of a plane is another strong reason for me to buy or not to buy. Concerning the Junkers D.I, I’ll probably buy it some fine day. First, because my family‘s history is closely connected with the „post-war“-wars, especially in the Baltic. Second, I am interested in that brutal and important, because world-shaping period of history up to around 1923. Third, I find the Junkers D.I is not ugly at all! Fourth, I love Wingnut Wings kits! - I recently bought the Jeannin Stahltaube (by the way, on the day, Des has passed, so there‘ll be thoughts for him every time I look at that kit!), mostly for the reason that I read Gunther Plüschow‘s war memoires „Der Flieger von Tsing-Tau“, when I was a boy of seven. It is since then that I have a soft spot for the (to me: steam-punk like!) shape of the Taube-planes. So, that‘s me.
Richard

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2018, 11:21:16 PM »
I'll probaly buy two.

Two because I'll want to include one in bits in a dio – and I'll also want one for display with wings and bits in place.

This one has actually been on my wanted list for quite a while now – as was the Dolphin, the Taube and the Ships Camel – so in my book WnW has been very forthcoming lately  ;) Why the D1? Well, the design intrigue me and looks oddly cool. And, after building +40 double deckers with plenty of rigging, I'm up for a bit of a change of pace.

/Mikael  :)
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
It looks very unique, and a lot can be done with the paint schemes. It's on my shopping list for sure.
Regards,
Gary

Offline Modelnut

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 10:16:54 AM »

Stare at it long enough it might grow on you. LOL
I've tried posting a pic of my 1/72 Roden but my phone won't cooperate.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:42:45 AM by Modelnut »

Offline Gilly

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »
Yes I will be having one of these beauties, possibly two. Why? I have had the Roden 1/48 D1 geared up for building for some time but had a project to complete first and strangely enough as I completed my project WNW have been so kind as to release this, so it will save my eyes straining in the smaller scale and I can have a little rest from rigging  :D

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
I was disappointed with this release, as it is not much of a classic WWI design, and I like classic WWI designed aircraft.

However, it is an interesting aircraft in its own right and I rather like it.

I will buy it and enjoy building it at some point, but there is no rush for this one.

Offline mike in calif

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 12:25:59 AM »
I'll prolly get two. Cool airplane, and will look good next to my J1.

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 12:20:29 AM »
I like the subject, but I knew I had a Roden 1/48 kit in the stash--a good kit in a smaller scale. Then I actually looked in the stash, and found that it was the Blue Max D.1.
So now I'm thinking of it.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 12:35:04 AM »
I would buy one and see if any other incarnations are done, then buy them too.   ;D

Offline Isitwindyyet

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 04:02:06 AM »
First I was a hard no on this one. Now maybe, just because it will be a quick build and historically important. But it sure doesn’t make any prettier.

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2018, 02:32:04 AM »
I won't because what drives my modeling choices is 1, having seen an actual example flying, 2, being powered by a rotary engine, and 3, having more than 1 set of wings. an aircraft doesn't need to meet all 3 to end up in my stash, but the more criteria met the more likely. for example: Morane Saulnier AI and Fokker D.VIII have only 1 wing, but I've seen them fly and they have rotaries. Fokker D.VII and Sopwith Dolphin are both stationary engines, but I've seen them both fly and they are multi-wings. never seen a Snipe, Tripehound, or Strutter fly in person, but they have rotaries and multi wings. I don't believe there are any airworthy D.1's out there, especially anywhere near where I live, it's only a 1-winger, and it's not the most visually appealing beast out there. I'd spring for a J.1 before a D.1, and that only meets 1 criteria.

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2018, 02:57:18 AM »
Of course I'll get one, maybe two.
Although ugly this bird, but quite historically interesting.
Color scheme 4 and, of course, scheme 5 of the WNW Box.
Explicit color scheme 5, heavily used, with a few dents and bumps in the corrugated metal skin -
friends, that's a feast and a challenge for every modeller!  ;)

Servus
Bertl

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2018, 03:04:31 AM »
Of course I'll get one, maybe two.
Although ugly this bird, but quite historically interesting.
Color scheme 4 and, of course, scheme 5 of the WNW Box.
Explicit color scheme 5, heavily used, with a few dents and bumps in the corrugated metal skin -
friends, that's a feast and a challenge for every modeller!  ;)

Servus
Bertl

Bertl! That‘s great to have you back here again! I also like options 4 and 5 most.
Richard

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
Team it up with a Mikro Mir Fokker DVIII on a snow covered airfield somewhere on the Baltic Coast in 1919. Beautiful!
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Rob_Owens

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »
Will get one, but mine will be a counterfactual Finnish (AML decals) D. I on skis (Roden Spad VII), though a Swiss or Swedish version might be equally appealing. . .