Author Topic: Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?  (Read 11394 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Re: Why will you buy, or not buy, the new Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
Yep, I'll be buying one, possibly two. I have a fascination with not only WWI but also it's immediate aftermath and the Junkers D.1 fits right in with it's use with the Saschenberg Geschwader. I too love the whole steampunk/dieselpunk esthetic of the design with its retro futuristic looks, you can see in this one aircraft all of what's to come yet it still has enough of the WWI elements (fixed undercarriage, wooden prop, open cockpit...etc) to make it look like some sort of strange hybrid.
The cynic in me can see why WNW has decided on the Junkers, they give their game away at the end of the instruction manual with the enticement to try one of their 'traditional' kits. It's obviously not aimed at the WWI fans, but the WWII end of town and to that end it might work given that a lot of the glowing reviews that I've seen over the years of WNW kits are from non WWI modellers and they usually are quite lavish in their praise, so this kit can be seen as sucking in those that still sit on the fence!
All that said, it still looks like a great kit to me anyway, I was going to get only one, to do the Saschenberg scheme, but the all bare metal option really looks nice as well, it kind of reminds me of the end of the movie version of the Blue Max (I know  ::), it was a Morane parasol, but it still looked kind of swanky in all silver with maltese crosses ;D) Some of the other MFG schemes also look interesting as well.
I can understand why this release isn't to everyone's taste, it definitely isn't a traditional WWI aircraft. But, as I've said elsewhere on the forum, if I'd been asked to guess what aircraft they would release at Nuremburg the Junkers wouldn't have even been on my list! What I'm taking away from this is that WNW next release could be anything from WWI and not necessarily mainstream at all, they don't seem to be afraid to step into the realm of the esoteric and I think that's a good thing.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
    I've been a hard WWI subject fan for a long time and tend to choose my subjects around the men who flew them. Occasionally a particular scheme or aircraft will catch my eye but mostly I stay to the "aircraft of the Aces", particularly the obvious preference for Canadian Aces as does Prze with his Polish subjects. The D.1 did not initially appeal to me; too rare, not the classic "stringbag" and very limited service. When I noticed the Freikorps scheme it started to look a lot better, and as I said elsewhere here, when you have Jacobs, Sachsenberg, and Osterkamp's name associated with an aircraft that's a lot of talent and history!
   So, bottom line, I'll probably get one and do it up as the Freikorps version. ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 02:28:33 PM »
I will get one. It may be the simple, straight forward build I need to kick start my modelling again.

Steve

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
I will buy one.
I was fascinated with the kit when I build the 1/48 Roden version, but this is so much beter designed and engineerd.

Warning to those who are in the catagory maybe/will buy later:
I have have seen now 3 differant websites claiming this to be the ideal WW1 entry kit so it might go really fast and you know WnW doesn't do reissues...

Hidde

Offline Radarman

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
I will get one. I find the aircraft fascinating. To me, it looks like something banged together in someone’s barn out of whatever was around. If there was a Junkers CL.I to go along with it I’d get one too.
We are all victims of history!

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:31 PM »
I will not buy the D.1 for two reasons: the subject doesn't interest me, and I don't have the money anyway!
Zac in NZ

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:43 PM »
I will buy at least one. The plane is a real stunner for me. I am one of those guys wich are not so interested in a planes history. I prefer the design and I love strange planes. It will give me a lot of possibilitys to make it interesting, like a nice polished aluminum plane with lots of Alclad and other polishing things. But mostly I will do one with the wings off, leaning against a wall. The plane with lots of dulls and scratches and a mechanic standing next to it. Great : Can't wait.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Wodehouse

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 05:51:14 PM »
I won't buy because in my opinion it lacks the aesthetic appeal and elegance that brings me to WWI subjects in the first place. 

Offline Hannover

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
Yep, I'll be buying one. I'll wait till a UK stockist has them and look for the best price.

To me its another WW1 milestone aircraft and I do prefer the later WW1 planes to the early ones. Just hope Pheon looks at releasing a decal sheet as those in the kit are not grabbing me!

P

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:37 PM »
Probably not and for the immidiate future for sure NO. I have too many kits to last me for years and I have decided to buy new ones only if I am starting them the day I receive them! ANy kit is manufactured to be built and creating a stash is something I don't like.
Think globally, act locally!

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »
No for a couple reasons; I'm trying to stay with chipping away at my 1/48 stash and 'been there - done that' with the Roden built.  I can see the marketing behind issuing a simple monoplane with no rigging to attract those contemplating a WNW kit.

I can't see it being sold in multiples to builders like their Albatros DV or Fokker DVII.   

Too bad they didn't tackle the two-seater version at least it hadn't been kitted before.
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 12:25:16 AM »
I have already stated in another thread that this one is Currently on my No Buy List. I build "MOSTLY" Squadron collections and this one does not fit in any of my Parameters.  I do Love All WW1 aircraft but to put things in perspective and my very limited budget I developed the Squadron History thing years ago. I do stray occasionally because an aircraft just calls out to me. The Special Hobby Fokker DII is an Example of this type. I don't think there is any danger of this one selling out quickly so perhaps way down the road.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »
I'll get it as I have one of every type they've have produced plus the other manufacturers 1:32 scale WW1 aircraft.
Yes i'ts a strange decision for an end of war, low production aircraft, but it deserves a place on my shelf anyway.

Hannant's in the UK have it on pre-order for £69.99.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 04:58:04 PM »
it's low on my WNW FOMO list, but i'm in. it may be my first WNW build, if i can spare $$ from hoarding WNW kits before they sell out. I have been getting more interested in the conflicts between the wars lately, and i'd like to build the Sachsenberg one.

Offline poshboy

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 06:24:05 PM »
I don't think I will buy one for me to spend 60/70 pounds on a kit it has be something I really want to build and as I mainly build in 48th and haven't got one in that scale I think I will leave it.i hope it does well and I can see why wnw have kitted it and I am sure there will be some great models built when it hits the shops.