Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.  (Read 18879 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Frank,
    Thanks for looking and for your nice comments. This being the second Camel it's going quite smoothly so far.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 12:20:03 PM »
Lance,

Good job right the way through. All looks in place and finished very well indeed. Good luck with the Camel and the AEG!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »
Thanks Gary, I'm still trying to "ease" back into the AEG, I'm realizing this two Builds at once routine may be too much for this old fella! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 10:12:31 PM »
Thanks Gary, I'm still trying to "ease" back into the AEG, I'm realizing this two Builds at once routine may be too much for this old fella! :o
Cheers,
Lance

A change is s good as a rest, my friend. Take me, for instance: Albi, CAX, Albi, CAX, CAX, CAX, Albi, Albi...and so on. Three back-to-back CAXs right now (we're on the second one) and the whole string runs to next Sunday. Sometimes I feel like I just ain't retired no more!

Best of luck with the AEG, buddy!   8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2018, 06:09:02 AM »
Looking real good ! and the AEG also !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2018, 06:16:45 AM »
Thanks Gary, it is quite a change in subjects alright!
...... and Thank You Ed for looking and for your very much appreciated comment!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2018, 12:28:53 AM »
Well, the AEG is a memory and a "shelf magnet" with the exception of some photos for the Completed Models Section in the next few days so I'll re-open this Build Log. The bench has been cleaned up and this Kit is spread out and ready to go again, looking forward to getting back to it!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2018, 12:36:15 AM »
Well, the AEG is a memory and a "shelf magnet" with the exception of some photos for the Completed Models Section in the next few days so I'll re-open this Build Log. The bench has been cleaned up and this Kit is spread out and ready to go again, looking forward to getting back to it!
Cheers,
Lance

I am looking forward to the continuation of this build Lance!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »
    I'd better update this Log before this Build goes further, it's been slow but steady progress since I cleared up the AEG project and got this one back on the bench. The first area I completed was the wings starting with a very dark grey pre-shade. Once the PC.10 was applied I used multiple (4 or 5) hand brushed coats of Future to provide a nice gloss base for the decals. Although I anticipated problems with the decals noted in other Build Logs these proved flawless and are now sealed with another coat of future. Most of these highly gloss parts will be toned down with a final sealing coat of semi gloss or Matte when completed.

I've also completed the plywood "turtle deck" with an oil streaked wood grain finish using Winsor Newton Oil's Raw Umber over a Tamiya wood Base.

That too has received several coats of Future and the decals on the tank hatches have been applied and sealed.

The fabric portion of the fuselage has been painted with a slightly lighter shade of PC.10, the mid section with a base coat of the wood base, and the forward metal panels given a coat of dark aluminum. Both of the forgoing will be overcoated with AK Chipping Medium and then receive a coat of black Tamiya followed by a light chipping treatment. All of the photos I've seen of this aircraft show it was kept in a well finished and fairly "clean" condition.

The underside of the fuselage was also pre-shaded and has been painted in CDL and sealed however I missed taking photos of it, I'll include a few later.

Next in the sequence come the fuselage decals before the forward fuselage panels are completed, then it's time to put it all together.
Cheers
Lance

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 07:22:55 AM »
VEry nice work, Lance.  I like the brass details on the turtleback.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
Wow Lance, your Camel is looking great.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »
Very nice work there, Blue Leader! I'll have to take notes, especially when you get to weathering the rib-tapes, for when I ever get finished with my Albi. Well Done!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
   Thanks for your very nice comments gents! It's certainly starting to come together alright. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline aliluke

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2018, 04:15:15 PM »
Like others I missed this log too. Looks fantastic - warming to this model subject the more I see it.

Thanks,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2018, 04:57:26 PM »
This looks amazing lance. I just wish my own Camel project was half as good as yours.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com