Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.  (Read 18634 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2018, 03:03:59 AM »
Bud, Juan,
    Much appreciated! Real life chores halted progress yesterday and the black panels are still waiting for their paint. I'll post another update and some photos once that's completed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2018, 03:30:06 AM »
My you move quickly Lance. Are you a high speed modeller by any chance?

Excellent finish and super details.

Stephen.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
Thanks for reply Lance.  Generally I spray my coats of Future and then sand smooth with very fine papers.  However, with the textures involved in WWI aircraft the use of abrasives is much more restricted.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
Stephen,
     I'm actually a very slow Builder; I had this one well underway when I used it as a diversion from the marathon project the AEG presented thus it looks like it's much faster in progress then it really is. I often get lured down a "bunny path" doing more searching and reading as I go along, with predictable long interruptions!
Gaz,
    Do you thin the Future for spraying or go full strength?
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
Lance, this is again such a great build!
This really shows the great quality of the WNW kits and what is possible in the hands of an experienced modeler.
I got a bottle Future from a friend and he recommends to this it with Tamiya X-20A, works great for me.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
Thanks for your comments Frank. I never would have thought of X-20A, but I'm going to try an experiment with it, thanks for sharing the idea!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:59 AM »
   So much for a fast Builder............... not!! I finally found time for a few sessions on this one, the markings are all on, the top decking installed, and the guns and Aldis Sight are also on the model. The landing gear strut assembly is done except for the rigging and it is shown "posed" in these photos. I've kept wear, chipping, and oil etc to a minimum however once the different less glossy overcoats are done I may do a bit more, particularly more engine oil along the underside.

The engine oil is from AK Interactive, their oil based one.

I added a bit of chipping to the side panels and ring cowling using the AK "Worn Effects" Acrylic product.

The eyelets are all installed for the rigging so the next step is to install the struts and upper wing. Once that's rigged the landing gear and bracing will follow.No news to anyone familiar with the Wingnut Wings Products but the tolerances on this one are really tight; a coat of paint on joining surfaces causes all sorts of problems!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2018, 04:21:10 AM »
Maybe you're not fast, but it was worth the wait.  Great job Lance.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2018, 04:25:49 AM »
What a beauty she's turning out to be, Lance!  Love it!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2018, 05:13:54 AM »
Juan, Bud,
    Thanks for looking and commenting, very much appreciated!  Yes, she is "growing" on me, the added colour with the nose striping really becomes the normally drab Camel schemes. I'd have preferred one of the blue or red striped jobs however as usual I can't resist the scheme of yet another of my boyhood heroes!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »
Your painting is absolutely gorgeous Lance. The Camel is on my short list for the next build and yours could push me over the edge!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2018, 10:18:13 PM »
Your painting is absolutely gorgeous Lance. The Camel is on my short list for the next build and yours could push me over the edge!
RAGIII

Thanks for your nice comment Rick. This is my second WNW Camel and I'm very impressed with the kit, without the effects of paint where it shouldn't be it's an incredibly well fitted Kit, and I have several more I will do in future.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »
Outstanding work Lance! I'm working on a Wingnuts Clerget Camel but it's nowhere near the calibre of your build. It's amazing how much detail Wingnuts packed into the cockpit of this model, and how much of it vanishes when the fuselage is joined and the top wing put on!

I'm really enjoying your build.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2018, 05:08:07 AM »
Dave,
    Thank you Sir ........ and I suspect your Camel is a lot better then you have indicated! You are right, the cockpit detail on the Kit is quite fantastic, a shame that it basically disappears once the assembly is completed. As we all often say though, at least we know it's there!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
Just catching up (again) Lance. Very impressive indeed - superb detail and you have not finished yet! I am really looking forward to seeing this one completed.

In response to losing all of that detail: why not do what I am attempting - a cut-away version?

Stephen.