Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.  (Read 18832 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
      My next Build will be of Flight Commander WM "Mel" Alexander's Clerget Camel B6289 of 10 Naval Sqn. RNAS in 1918, Scheme D in the Wingnut Wings Kit. William Melville Alexander was a 23 victory Canadian Ace who flew Sopwith Triplanes in Collishaw's famous Black Flight (his aircraft was "Black Prince") and then Camels including both 10 Naval and 210 Sqn. RAF when the RNAS was folded into the RAF in 1918. He survived the war and passed away at the ripe old age of 91 in 1988.
     Here's the standard "opener", the Kit, and a photo of Alexander following.(Photo on-line from National Archives of Canada)

This is the color scheme as illustrated in the Instruction Booklet:

I'll be using these references for the project:

After Market additions will consist of these excellent products: Taurus Prop Hubs and Back Plate, HGW seat belts, and the newly available Barracuda casting wicker seat and cushion.

This will be my second Wingnut Wings Camel having recently completed the LeRhone version. This Build is intended to provide a simple "break" from my long AEG G.IV Build however I suspect that my usual penchant for over complicating things and self induced difficulties will turn it into anything but "simple"! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (Clerget) WM Alexander 10 Naval Sqn.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 04:13:32 AM »
Nice choice Lance! I am also glad to see we won't be doing the same scheme on our Camels  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 04:25:06 AM »
Good to see you tackle another Camel Lance. The scheme looks interesting and if it turns out nearly as good as the AEG it may not be simple but it will still be a first class model.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 05:13:55 AM »
Looking forward to seeing your treatment on this one, a good break from your AEG.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:07:08 AM by Juan »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 06:02:17 AM »
Nice choice Lance! I am also glad to see we won't be doing the same scheme on our Camels  8)
RAGIII

Not this one anyway Rick, but I still have three more in my Stash! Thanks for your comments as well Stephen and Juan. I'm looking forward to this Build.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »
Excellent choice, Lance!  Really looking forward to following your progress.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
Thanks Bud! My choices tend to follow the "Canadian Connection" approach when it's a reasonably attractive option. Unless Rowan comes up with something irresistible on his next Camel sheets I plan on adding Barkers and Roy Browns to this one and the MacLaren one already done, four Canadian Camel Aces with a combined total of 136 victories.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »
I can tell that this is going to be a "Barn Burner of a Card" Lance:  I am looking forward to this build as I join you with the Ships Camel, I will be following along. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »
Thanks Bud! My choices tend to follow the "Canadian Connection" approach when it's a reasonably attractive option. Unless Rowan comes up with something irresistible on his next Camel sheets I plan on adding Barkers and Roy Browns to this one and the MacLaren one already done, four Canadian Camel Aces with a combined total of 136 victories.
Cheers,
Lance
Lance, if you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and read "Winged Victory" by Victor Yeates of 46 Sqdn.  His "fictionalized" depiction of "Mac" is spot on.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation Bud. I've got a room full of WWI Aviation books however that classic has so far evaded me. I'll do a quick search tonight.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »
Oh, you'll love it...in all ways.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
Wow, I think you got all condiments together to cook a great meal!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 07:07:44 AM »
   It's time to start up the Build Log on this one as I'm getting close to buttoning up the fuselage. I've completed several of the sub components and they'll be ready for installation when I reach that stage.
   All of the very small control horns and cabane strut rigging attachment points were drilled out and cleaned with a #83 drill bit. The plan here was to use EZ Line for rigging to eliminate any stress on the tiny rings which proved successful later.

The "rings" on the interplane struts were cut away and scratch made small nicad wire ones were drilled in to replace them. I elected this method after several broke on my previous Camel Build causing no end of frustration trying to replace them with the wings installed.

I then cleaned up the wings, tailplane components and control surfaces "pinning" the latter with stainless steel wire. (Guitar string) The rigging for the upper wing cut out is stretched sprue.

Next came the cockpit floor section which I removed the molded on seat cushion from and replaced the seat support frame members with Evergreen styrene strips and installed the fuel tank.

With that done the assembly was "woodgrained", the Barracuda Seat and HGW Belts added and all painting completed.

Next came the fuselage interior sides in CDL, Wood, and metal from back to front and the fuselage side frames, the later with a few missed fuel lines added and EZ Line cross braces. The previously finished Instrument Panel was also attached to the left side frame. I took the black option for the panel Instrument Board for this one.

The instrument had Aeroclub bezels added and the "Glass" is the usual Future floor polish.

At this point the Clerget Engine was completed using Alclad II paints and AK Interactive "Engine Wash" and "Aircraft Engine Oil".

........ and last, the prop. It still needs it's decals and a sealing coat of clear semi-gloss to tone it down.

So far, so good, I've only broken one cabane thus far, that's two less then on my previous Camel! I hope to get this to the closed fuselage stage in the next few days and then plan to switch back to my AEG Build.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 08:09:37 AM »
Holy Smoke, Lance! That's some fine work and speedy at that  :o
Excellent update!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
Oh, yes, gorgeous!!