Author Topic: WNW Dolphin  (Read 9548 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

WNW Dolphin
« on: December 30, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
Yes...another one!  My wife got me this guy for Christmas and as we were traveling at that time, I just opened this yesterday and I'm super pleased!  The kit looks fabulous in the box as usual...

I just started on the engine.  All is going well at this early stage...though there are several molding lugs that are decidedly un-WNW-like at least comparing the few I've built.  There are also some interesting molding strategies like the very delicate piping on the rear cylinder molding having a nice flash lug that needs careful attention or you'll fatigue it right off!  Also, try as I might, there will be some careful filling along the engine seams to make it look as nice as possible.  See the pictures below ( the cylinder jacket is just sitting for show and I'll paint it up a bit tomorrow):

Don't get me wrong...it's lovely and I can't wait to get it all together.  The cockpit looks like a real treat as well.  I personally love the seat cushion molding.  ;D

More soon and thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline rhwinter

Re: WNW Dolphin
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »
Dan, I think the engine is one of WnW's oldest models, stemming from the SE5a "Hisso", which was one of their very first kits.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:00:42 PM »
Great to see you making a start on this kit Dan, I am still working on the engine of my kit. The engine is the same as the one Wingnuts used for the SE.5a kit, the sprue is dated 2007. I will be following your build and picking up any pointers you may reveal.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 09:28:59 PM »
Dan, it's great to follow this build of yours, it will be a show stopper as usual!

Offline mgunns

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 10:59:17 PM »
Another Dolphin on the forum.  I will be following to see you work through this and what scheme you plan on doing.  That is the SE.5 Hisso with a few mods thrown in, unless you leave the upper hood off, the only thing visible are the valve covers and exhaust manifolds.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
Dan, I am looking forward to following your build. I am sure to pick up some good pointers for mine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
Thanks for the info, fellas...it's not that it's unbuildable!  The last WNW kit I made (The Snipe) was the closest I've ever come to adding the proverbial glue and shaking the box.  It FAR surpassed any single wing, simple plane fitting I've ever built!  That thing fit like a dream.

Anyway, more later tonight after some detail painting etc.

Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 04:44:16 AM »
Tiny bit more done...just the basic engine paints and next a bit of weathering.  I'll also remove the top manifold so I can add some spark plug wires!

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to ALL!

Dan

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 05:28:46 AM »
Great start Dan, looking forward to your (and others) progress on the Dolphin.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »
Great engine Dan!
Happy 2018 to you and your family!

Offline davec

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 11:01:47 PM »
coming along great - beautiful work on the engine.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 02:58:07 PM »
Thanks, all...these kits really make you look much better than you really are.  It's a fun one to put together so far.  Lots of care in painting details will yield huge dividends.  Here are the basic cockpit parts done.  I'll rig them all tomorrow.  Everything you see is just pushed together.  Pretty amazing.

More soon.  This is so much fun...Dan

Offline Borsos

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 08:17:20 PM »
How good to see all those dolphins already in the making. This is a wonderful start with a beautiful job on the interior and a great engine. A pleasure to follow!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »
I am very impressed with not only how quickly you are moving along but also with the superb results you are achieving. Looking forward to your next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 02:41:04 AM »
I agree with all of the above.  it's nice to see too that you got the engine in first.  I failed to see that step and put the magazines in first.  I think that is part of the problem.  You shouldn't have any problems.  It goes together well and you are doing an outstanding job on it.  I am looking forward to following your build as well.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....