Author Topic: WNW Dolphin  (Read 9639 times)

Online NinetythirdLiberator

Re: WNW Dolphin
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
Thanks so much, All!  And Mark...thanks to you especially.  I didn't fully appreciate what you said about there being lots that go into that cockpit area and the sequence of events.  I'll need to go back and re-read your log since I made it all fit, but man...it was a struggle!

Here is the basic frame with my simple rigging using EZ-line.  Does the job for me!

And here it is all together...most of it!

And a mock up with the fuselage together but not glued!

All I can say is that the magazine/gun parts are almost impossible to get in.  There are large lugs (you can see those just in front of the cabanes in the first pic) that fit into slots under the gun mounts and it seems that even the tiniest amount of paint will make them very difficult to slip in.  Added to that, there are two small pipes that are supposed to go into holes on either side of this assembly and I could not make the geometry work until I actually cut those little nibs off.  Those are the copper tubes you see in the first shot running from the cockpit and on the inside of the cabanes.  Then, I could slide the structure straight down, gently spread the cabanes and locate another two pegs on either side.  Those last two holes needed to be enlarged a hair (again due to paint?).  Not an easy job! 

Then...I didn't really understand why Mark said that it's good to start with the engine first...until I tried putting it in for real!  It is very tough to get the mags under/between the ammo assemblies.  It all fits, but it takes some gentle persuasion which is rather nerve wracking as all that fine PE and delicate plastic parts can't really take the stress.  I was really worried I'd botch the whole thing.  In the end, it looks fantastic and is really the show piece of the model with that open upper wing so WNW has certainly delivered!  I just wonder if the computer engineers may have made the tolerances a bit too tight for an actual modeler to build!  Of course, this could all be modeler-induced and Des and Rick will slap it together with absolutely no issues!  :P ::) ;D ;)

All is well, and I can't wait to continue on her some more...

Thanks for looking,
Dan

P.S. I just went back and looked at Mark's notes...great minds think alike as he cut off the tubing nubs to get the magazine assembly in too.  I'm not crazy!!!!  ::)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:17:07 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 01:05:56 AM »
Awesome results Dan. As for me putting this together without issues ...If you and Mark had them I am sure I will be NO Different  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »
Looking really good Dan.  Excellent interior and engine. 

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 02:03:01 AM »
Dan,
     Like Mark's Build this is a very educational Thread. It'll be worth it's weight in gold when I tackle mine. I certainly can see your points about how busy that cockpit is, that's a tremendous amount of stuff all crammed into a very small space. Great work thus far and I look forward to more!
Cheers,
Lance

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 04:31:51 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  These darn WNW kits make anyone look like they know what they are doing...just from the box.  Then you get folks on here that really go nuts and wow...what a masterpiece!  I'm pretty pleased with mine as is, though!  ::)

I got the last of the interior parts and rigging on and then got the fuselage closed.  Fit like a glove!

Next is the rest of the interior floor boards and spade grip that attach to the lower wing center section and then put that sucker on and we are off to the races!!

Cheers,
Dan

Offline GB

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »
That is one busy front end Dan. Nicely packed into such a small space - looking forward to more updates.

Gary

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 05:51:38 AM »
It is moving along nicely !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 12:22:41 PM »

P.S. I just went back and looked at Mark's notes...great minds think alike as he cut off the tubing nubs to get the magazine assembly in too.  I'm not crazy!!!!  ::)
[/quote]

No You're not crazy.  You are doing a great job, the worst is now behind you.  ;)
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 06:50:11 PM »

No You're not crazy.  You are doing a great job, the worst is now behind you.  ;)
[/quote]

+1

Cracking build!
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 01:13:04 AM »
Outstanding progress Dan! Everything looks terrific in place.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
Great work, Dan! very clean and acurate build.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
Thanks so much, you guys.  This one has been on my list for a long time.  Now if WNW would just do a Halberstadt D-II or a DH-5 I'd pretty much be in heaven...

Here is a very tiny update.  I got most of the major details on like radiators, cowling, landing gear etc. and got the basic paint scheme on.  One upper panel is supposed to be a different color than the rest based on WNW saying it was replaced due to flak damage.  I like it since it adds interest.  There was lots of tricky masking in the nose but it turned out ok!

I'll give it a coat of Future, let her dry and put on the decals tomorrow.  They it will really start to look the part!

Man...once you get to a certain point on these WNW models, things just steam roll to a finish.  ;)

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 05:18:20 PM »

Man...once you get to a certain point on these WNW models, things just steam roll to a finish.  ;)

You haven't rigged it yet Dan!  ;D

great progress and very useful for my build..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »
True, Guy...I kind of like rigging though.  Call me nuts... :P :o

I got the basic decals on tonight.  Went on very well indeed!

Maybe finish her this weekend???

Dan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:29:30 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:20 PM »
Incredible Dan!
Unbelieveable how fast and accurate you build this bird.
Great!
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau