Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43896 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2017, 05:01:02 AM »
Looks great Lance! You have done your usual outstanding work with the decals. I will have to digest he photos of the jig and look over the directions  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2017, 05:24:50 AM »
  Thanks Rick, it's starting to move along now!
  I decided to do the landing gear assembly before the more complicated wing struts. The four gear struts were copied using a solid tapered brass rod material no longer on the market called "Strutz". Brass wire "pins were soldered to each end of the four struts. (One end only on at the time of the photos).

The model was then placed in the Pheon Jig and the assembly CA'ed together at the Axel Wing only, the strut to fuselage joints being inserted but not glued to allow for removal during the wing strut assembly construction. Once dry the assembly could be carefully removed and painting completed.

Here's a shot of the assembly "posed" on the fuselage.

I've now started the wing strut assembly process; I'll be using the Kit "V Strut" parts from the forward assemblies, slightly modified, and replacing the straight brace portion of the front and the longer rear support struts with brass like the landing gear. Here's the forward strut components ready to go and the Kit rear struts at the top, the next step is to match them with brass "pinned" ones. Pins will also be installed in the wing to spar joints as the final step.

This Build continues to offer no end of challenges, and some frustrations............  I've virtually destroyed the decal Fuselage Datum Lines and will have to replace them. A smart unforgetful Builder would have sealed them with Future before all this work and associated handling started. "DOOOHHHHHH!!!!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2017, 06:25:17 AM »
Looking great Lance, hang in there (stuff happens).  She is looking great.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2017, 07:45:50 AM »
 Lance,
This thread just keeps being more impressive each time I check in my old friend. Keep up the Highest Excellence my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Thank you Juan and Greg. I actually had to walk away from her today to get some "mojo" back, the struts are proving to be a little less cooperative then the landing gear assembly. I think I've used just about my entire lexicon of unrepeatable words, so I'll just have to man up and get on with completing the Build! :-\ :-X ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »
That's a clever way to increase the stability of the whole affair. Good to have some brass Strutz!
What's your opinion of the Pheon jig?
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
That worked really well!!! She'll be solid on her feet!!!

Steve

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »
Steve,
    That's the easy half of the challenge solved. The wing struts are a different kettle of fish!
Borsos,
    Without Rowan's neat little Jig I'd be lost for a solution. The Jig provides alignment of the complicated strut assembly and spacing from wing to fuselage; things that could not be possible without some sort of support or guide. This is no kit for a novice. It reminds me of the worst sort of Vacu Form actually!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline boggie

« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
Nice "strutz" work Lance. Neat soldering too.
This kit looks quite challenging but on the plus side I guess you are getting your moneys worth of challenge  ;D
Looking forward to seeing the wing mounted.

Cheers  :)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
Thanks Boggie, that's definitely a positive slant on the "challenge" aspect! The soldering has been a new and learning experience, not without a small pile of failed bit's and pieces however patience prevailed in the end. I invested pocket change in a really basic iron at a bargain hardware store and it worked well enough. Now that I see the possibilities soldering can provide I think I'll shop for a smaller easier to handle version.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2017, 10:47:12 PM »
Nice work with the landing gear struts Lance, pity that product isn't still available. I'm sure you will prevail over the wing struts, when fitted they will make for a very strong assembly. I purchased a soldering station some time ago and it took a few goes before I managed to get half decent soldered joins, it all boils down to practice.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2017, 11:34:41 PM »
Steve,
    That's the easy half of the challenge solved. The wing struts are a different kettle of fish!
Borsos,
    Without Rowan's neat little Jig I'd be lost for a solution. The Jig provides alignment of the complicated strut assembly and spacing from wing to fuselage; things that could not be possible without some sort of support or guide. This is no kit for a novice. It reminds me of the worst sort of Vacu Form actually!
Cheers,
Lance

First let me say how impressed I am with your work on the struts. When finished you will have NO WORRIES about the gear or wing falling off  ;D I am still considering ways I could add pins to the kit supplied wing struts as I have no STRUTZ and am not experienced in working with brass . I think you are showing your Master Modeler skills well on this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2017, 04:16:01 AM »
  Thank you both, Des and Rick for your generous comments! Rick, this is my first foray into the art of soldering, it's proved an eye opener however doesn't seem that difficult. There are a few tools available on the After Market to squeeze brass tube into a tapered strut shape which I'm going to look into. If anyone has one they'd like to part with I'd be interested. I believe Bo designed and sells a plastic one; wasn't there a version done by Albion Alloys and also one by RB Productions?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2017, 07:56:55 AM »
I have both. Bo's gives you an airfoil shape. The Albion is more heavy duty (and $) but the airfoil shape appears to be lacking. There's a video on their sight. It basically squashes the tubing evenly.

Steve

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2017, 07:14:11 AM »
Thanks for the info Steve. I'll check out that video as well.
Cheers,
Lance