Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43726 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:27:39 AM »
      After stating that I would delay starting this Kit pending the availability of the planned Pheon Decal Sheet I've had a change of heart. As Rick (RAG III) said in his Build Log of the Avis version, all but the personal emblems can be completed if you're doing a Jasta 6 Aircraft, which is my plan for now.
      I still have a Dragon 1:48 model in the same scheme as illustrated on the cover of the WS Data File, a relic from my 1:48 efforts of years ago and plan to do that scheme with this one. The big difference will be the finish on the wing with the 4 colour streaked scheme vs. the monotone dark green on the Dragon version. This is no Wingnut Wings standard of Kit however it looks like a pretty good foundation to combine with some good after market items to add this unique design to a 1:32 Scale collection.
      So here we go, starting with the standard box art and sprue shots etc. The Data File is the only specific reference I have however between the net and numerous small articles and info here on the Forum I'm covered.

Here's shots of the engine sprue with the LeRhone 9J / Oberursel UR.II from my Wingnuts LeRhone Camel which will be used in the Build. As you can more or less see in the close up the Wingnut Wings version (Right in the first photo, left in the following) is far better detailed.

I've ordered a replacement engine sprue from Wingnut Wings, nice to see direct sales available again and the new sprue offerings are a real boon to the 1:32 crowd!
   I'll be using HGW Belts from the D.VII Set, the already mentioned Pheon Decals once available, and some of my precious brass Strutz material to replace the delicate (& I think under scaled) wheel and wing struts. The wheels may prove adequate however the wing struts are no where near strong enough IMHO. I'll also use Gas Patch Spandaus and perhaps even the Aviattic Fokker DR.1 engine cowling I've been saving for a rainy day.

I'm looking forward to this Build, a beautiful subject and a Kit not without a few challenges.
Cheers,
Lance

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »
Hi Lance, looking forward to your progress on this beauty.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
Great to see you making a start on this kit Lance, I will be following along closely. Long time since I have seen a packet of 'Strutz' streamlined wires, wish they were still available.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline petrov27

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
Fantastic - good to see what you will do with this one! The Strutz is a good idea - sure can't hurt
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Gents! The combination of an aircraft that's on my favourites list and a Kit that needs a little extra effort really appeals to me, I'm really looking forward to getting at it. I too wish the Strutz was still available; I saw some on EBay recently but since the seller wanted approximately the value of my truck for it I passed! (an exaggeration however it wasn't even a full package!) I think I'm going to start looking for one of the Abion Alloys tools, also no longer available, or try one of Bo's Shapeways ones.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
I am glad to see you take this one on Lance! I am too far along on my Avis kit to benefit from your build, but I am sure My Mikro Mir kit when built will be better for your efforts  ;)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »
 Lance,
Man o man I'm so looking forward to this your latest opus my old friend. Although I don't have this Mikr Mir kit in the stash I hope to pick up some good information on building up my A-Model version. Best of Luck to you Lance.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 11:03:20 PM »
   Rick, Greg, thanks for your comments and encouragement. I got a very small amount done yesterday working on the fuselage interior sides; I shamelessly referred to your thread to get moving in the right direction, Rick, so I suspect my Build will benefit from your efforts more then the reverse! Today is a write off at the Bench as I have an eye examination this morning and , with the drops, will be lucky to find my house afterwards let alone the modelling desk!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jknaus

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 12:14:00 AM »
I'll watch with great interest Lance. My kit still hasn't shown up yet. Where do you get the Strutz shaped wire from? I've never seen it before.
James

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »
   Rick, Greg, thanks for your comments and encouragement. I got a very small amount done yesterday working on the fuselage interior sides; I shamelessly referred to your thread to get moving in the right direction, Rick, so I suspect my Build will benefit from your efforts more then the reverse! Today is a write off at the Bench as I have an eye examination this morning and , with the drops, will be lucky to find my house afterwards let alone the modelling desk!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance for the reference to my build. One thing I would emphasize, compass location is on the right as all Fokker Aircraft, and use a tube and handle on the right fuselage side vs. the pump. JMHO,
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »
I'll watch with great interest Lance. My kit still hasn't shown up yet. Where do you get the Strutz shaped wire from? I've never seen it before.
James

James,
   Unfortunately the Strutz product is no longer available; I got this package just before it disappeared from the market place, I wish I'd seen it coming and bought more!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »

Thanks Lance for the reference to my build. One thing I would emphasize, compass location is on the right as all Fokker Aircraft, and use a tube and handle on the right fuselage side vs. the pump. JMHO,
RAGIII

Thanks for the info Rick. I'm relying heavily on the excellent photo coverage of the TVAL Replica provided by Jamo here on the Forum for the interior and also several other topics here as well.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
I've ordered a replacement engine sprue from Wingnut Wings, nice to see direct sales available again and the new sprue offerings are a real boon to the 1:32 crowd!
Amen - given the price I'm seriously considering getting one of these kits as well as a WNW engine sprue.

Thanks for sharing the photos. This is a big help to those, like me, considering buying a Mikro-Mir Razor...although my wife and credit card may not thank you!  :-X
Zac in NZ

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:58:09 AM »
    This has been a very slow project. I plan on finishing it as a Jasta 6 bird using Pheon's decals once released. I liken the Kit to a typical HobbyCraft one, very basic and lots of added and scratch built bits required to satisfy my version of AMS.
   The cockpit is nearing completion and I hope to close up the fuselage within the week with any luck. First step was assembling the fuselage bottom to the left side to provide a base for the interior construction.

The plywood side panels were constructed from Evergreen sheet and strips and wood grained using the standard oil paints technique. The kit frames required a lot of cleaning up, they are very "rough" and also required additional styrene rod to finish. I used Aviattic's interior faded lozenge for the sides. The formers moulded to the insides of the fuselage were removed, and evidence of that process is present in all of the photos! It has since been cleaned up.........

I added stitching to the back panel and lozenge to it as well as the seat. The frames were rigged and installed and the floor got added Bare Metal foil strips. I'll add the usual observation/excuse here, that machro mode on the camera is a shocking and humbling experience, hopefully my naked eye version is more realistic!

Next came the belts, flight controls and rigging, PE Throttle and the scratch built pump for the right side. getting the rudder and elevator lines under the seat and through the back panel was a bit of a challenge.

Lots of shavings and crumbs for your viewing pleasure!

....... and the right side with brass hand pump:

That's as she presently sits. The compass and the center pedestal instrument are ready to install and some of the photos seem to indicate a map case (??) on the right side, can anyone confirm or add some thoughts on that? So far an enjoyable little Kit.
   Anyone seeing any glaring errors or forgotten bits please send "letters" before I close her up!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ondra

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »
Very nice progress so far, Lance! The wood looks very convincing as well as the stain on the floor, goob job!

Cheers

Ondra