Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43612 times)

Offline von Mertens

Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Magnificent work! Now I know that I will construct further! Thanks for an inspiration!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2017, 07:44:37 AM »
   It's been a bit of a mud wrestling match but the worst, or at least most difficult part, is done! I can now do some touch ups, some weathering, and get the final bits like the guns and step on and then mount the wing.
   It took seemingly dozens of dry fits and small adjustments to get the brass "V" strut support and the longer rear wing support strut to all fit together. After a good six hours of effort it all came together, the only damage being a small hole on each side of the wing undersurface where the location for the pins had to be relocated. An easy cosmetic fix will solve that problem. Here's a shot of the assembly dry fitted and "posed".

The lower (top of the photo) pin on the rear strut will be CA'ed to the base of the rear landing gear strut when installed.
    Following are a few close ups of the dry fitted components:

The three strut front wing attachment was then CA'd to the fuselage permanently using the Jig. It looks a little rough at this point however some filling, cleaning up, and a finish coat of paint should bring it all together. Once the last of the parts are on and the weathering completed the wing can be installed on the pins and the rear single spar attached as well.

I'll admit to having to "walk away" from this one more then once by this point of the Build. I'm afraid a couple of very flimsy struts and basically "butt" joints do not a good model make! Using the Pheon Jig supplied with the Decal Set saved the day. I think obviously the assembly would/could have been much easier just using the kit struts but it would have been far flimsier then my nerves could tolerate. Hopefully I can get the rest completed without breaking the strut assemblies, fingers crossed!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »
von Mertens,
   Thanks for looking and for your comment, I was posting this update as you posted apparently. I'd like to do another in Sachsenberg's black and yellow diamond scheme to have with his D.VII I've done however after this marathon I think I'll wait for the Wingnut Wings release of the E.V/D.VIII I just know is coming! ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2017, 06:43:37 AM »
It looks as though your struts will certainly hold the wing in place!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2017, 07:02:15 AM »
That looks frustrating but successful. If mine ever shows up I will be coming back here on a regular basis. (It hasn't shown up so I'm asking for a refund then ordering elsewhere)

Steve

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »
Rick,
     No doubt this should be a great improvement on the Kit supplied version!

Steve,
     That's really too bad, I hope you get it resolved satisfactorily. I am convinced that Wingnut Wings will release a Kit of this subject sooner rather then later................. might be worth a wait?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2017, 06:17:51 AM »
That was an impressive solution to a difficult problem Lance, and achieved with minimal colateral damage to boot. I take my hat off to a modeller who can make a fix as neat and strong as that no matter how long it took them.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »
Thank you very much Stephen. It is a strong assembly, perhaps a bit overdone however once the wing is mounted it should stay there barring a complete catastrophe! It also looks much better painted, I'll be adding more photos very soon; I've been working on the smaller bits and have over sprayed the model with a satin clear coat preparing for the addition of it's trademark oils stains.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: September 04, 2017, 02:46:16 AM »
    A fair bit of progress made over the past several days, I'm starting to see a conclusion to this project at last!
    The forward strut assemblies have been filled, primed, and painted and I'm fairly pleased with the results of the styrene and brass construction, including my first attempts at small scale soldering.

The next step was a coat of Vallejo Polyurethane Satin Varnish to tone the finish down and to provide a base for the limited weathering that will be applied. At this stage the hallmark oil staining of the fuselage where the expended engine oil tends to "wick" along the frame members of the inside of the fuselage and stain the fabric was attempted; I used various strengths of Tamiya "Smoke" for this effect. Jamo's photo series of the TVAL Replicas provided an outstanding reference source for this step.

The leather grommets around the elevator cable exit and entries on the underside of the fuselage were added as well at this stage using paper thin styrene sheet and the Waldron Products Punch and Die Set. The control column extension below the fuselage was constructed from scrap PE frame. The control cables will be added once the landing gear is installed, to prevent "collateral" damage later!

Last, I completed the two LMG 08's using spare Wingnut Wings breeches and the Masters Brass jackets and barrels set. The loading handles will be left off until just before permanent installation of the wing to again prevent little accidents as construction progresses. I also need to mask off the guns to spray a bit of paint through the jackets to cover the barrels, that would have been much easier to do before installing the guns ................  had I engaged my brain!!

Once I get the gun barrels painted the landing gear will be the next step; as I said earlier I can see the "Completed Models" stage getting close now.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:51:07 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #159 on: September 04, 2017, 03:35:23 AM »
Wow Lance, beautifully done, thank you for taking this kit on and showing the way (Rick is also in this thought).  The end is near and am awaiting the final(?) installment in this production of "As the Fokker E.V/D.VIII Turns".   ;D

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: September 04, 2017, 03:42:46 AM »
    Thanks for looking and for your comments Juan. Yes, the end is now in sight however I'm sure this little devil will produce more then just one more challenge before then! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2017, 04:17:50 AM »
The extra details that you have added look very good Lance. I have my fingers crossed that there will be no major upsets now and that you will be presenting us with another of your mini-masterpieces shortly. Looking forward to that.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2017, 05:32:20 AM »
   Thanks Stephen, I hope you are correct. So far it's been looking good!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
Those grommets look perfect! One of those easily overlooked details that really sets it off.
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2017, 07:30:08 AM »
Looks terrific Lance! Nice catch on the leather grommets! You are much farther along now than me as I have been focused on the Albatros. One more question regarding the jig construction. Did you say you used Plastic coated foam core board? If so I have not been able to find anything but cardboard lined. If you or anyone else knows of a US source let me know!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler