Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43691 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
This model is coming along beautifully Lance, the finish line is within sight.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
Thank you Zac and Des for your most generous comments. I got in a few hours this afternoon and the completion is getting closer!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
Looks terrific Lance! Nice catch on the leather grommets! You are much farther along now than me as I have been focused on the Albatros. One more question regarding the jig construction. Did you say you used Plastic coated foam core board? If so I have not been able to find anything but cardboard lined. If you or anyone else knows of a US source let me know!
RAGIII

Thanks Rick. The stuff I used for the blocks and supports is a foam core in a cardstock that has been plasticized. Those components are glued to a standard cardboard base that I applied the peel and stick base pattern to. The material came as a support for a print that I bought, the intention being that it would provide a solid level back support for the print in a frame or prevent it from being damaged. I'd suggest checking with a shop that does framing, sells prints etc. I couldn't locate card stock in this area that was as thick as Rowan recommends (2mm I believe) and I briefly tried thin stuff which didn't work well.
   Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #168 on: September 04, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »
You are definitely making progress on this Lance.  The lozenge looks like actual fabric, the "oiling" along the base of the fuselage has the look alright and it coming along.  Good luck painting the barrels on the machine guns.   :o  Hopefully that will go without a hitch.  You have done a great job with this kit to date and I am looking forward to seeing you progress to the end.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #169 on: September 04, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
Nearly there! Your soldering looks excellent, everything comes together so smoothly. Can't wait to see the final product!

Offline ondra

« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2017, 06:31:58 PM »
I can imagine what you were struggling with while fitting the struts, as I fight the same battle on every single of my builds. You definitely handled it perfectly, good job on the soldering!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Borsos

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »
Really great progress on that one, Lance. The weathered Tarnstoff in particular looks perfect to me.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »
   Many thanks for your comments and encouragement, Guys!
   Some careful masking worked perfectly in getting those brass barrels properly done in gun metal, they look much better now. I also got the landing gear assembly installed, all went smoothly. Today I have a few domestic chores that have been specified as the day's primary objectives........ I'm hoping to get them out of the way to my Director's high standards and get a bit more progress completed on this project as well. No problem addressing priorities here I assure you! :-\
    I forgot to mention the windscreen visible in the last 2 photos; it came from a spare (left over) sprue from the Wingnut Wings Albatros D.V Kit, a perfect match to the one in several photos in the Data File showing "Ernie" Udet in the cockpit of a factory model. I used 5 minute Epoxy to install it.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #173 on: September 06, 2017, 04:47:30 AM »
Oh Lance, what a progress in meantime! Some days off due to holiday and other things, so I have to catch up here.
Especially I like the coloring of the wing, may be you know why ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #174 on: September 06, 2017, 05:10:51 AM »
this kite's looking impressive. may have even persuaded me to struggle through one of these...

can't guarantee results of the same standard, however.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:13 AM »
Oh Lance, what a progress in meantime! Some days off due to holiday and other things, so I have to catch up here.
Especially I like the coloring of the wing, may be you know why ;)

Cheers,
Frank

Thanks Frank, and yes, I have not changed my mind on your interpretation of the wing colouring, it makes perfect sense to me!

this kite's looking impressive. may have even persuaded me to struggle through one of these...

can't guarantee results of the same standard, however.

Jeff,
     It isn't the greatest of Kits however if you take your time it turns out a pretty good model. A few After market additions help as well.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:20:49 AM by lcarroll »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2017, 06:17:07 AM »
    I'm hoping this is the last update before completion, this Build has been a long haul! I finally got a bit of time to get at this project and it's progressed nicely.
    First a few photos of the completed and installed Landing gear assembly with the brass/soldered pins struts:

The Spandaus were carefully masked off and the barrels sprayed with gun metal, a step I had previously missed.

Next came the Fokker Cowl Nuts as done by Taurus Models. These little guys really took my Optivisor to it's limits but I'm really pleased with the results; lovely touch, Thanks to Luckasz.

The elevator cables from the control stick counter balance below the cockpit were added:

The leather grommets for the fuselage exits of the control cables were done in paper thin Evergreen sheet styrene with Waldron Models Precision Punch and Die Set:

And finally the big obstacle was conquered, the wing was mounted to the "scratched" soldered brass and plastic parasol struts, and worked out quite well! I also added the black stripe decal just behind the cowling at this stage.

Last, the tail skid and the Spandau Loading / cocking handles were added:

Now it's time to attach the aileron cables, complete the tail assembly and rigging, get the engine, cowling, and cowling strap on and with a little touch up and final weathering she'll be a "wrap".
    It's looking a little better now that the wing is on. There were times when I thought it just might end up a shelf of doom candidate!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:22:18 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #177 on: September 13, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Very nice Lance, so close to the end you can smell the castor oil.  Looking forward to your grand finally.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: September 13, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Thanks much Juan, it's nice to finally see the end point. I hope to get a full day tomorrow which should get this to only a few hours remaining!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2017, 12:43:51 PM »
All I can write is WOW!  What an example of model crafstmanship Lance.  The Leather fairleads look the business as do the guns.  Outstanding work all around.  The top wing sets it off and the comparison between the "free flowing" upper wing camouflage against the geometric lozenge sets this off nicely.  Looking forward to the next and final phase.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....