Author Topic: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII  (Read 43926 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Mikr Mir Fokker E.V / D.VIII
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
Thanks Zac. The acrylic wood base mix works nicely with all of the oil "woodgrain" colours by Winsor Newton that I use. Their #34 Raw Sienna, #2 Burnt Sienna, and #35 Raw Umber produce a light, medium, and dark wood grain effect respectively. I also mix them on occasion to lighten or darken the effect.
Des, Thank you as well, I much appreciate your compliments!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2017, 08:44:02 AM »
I agree with others Lance that your streaking Mk 2 is very good. I would find that very difficult to achieve - so I greatly respect your effort. In the end if you are happy with it then it is good enough.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
Thank you Stephen, I've received enough endorsements of the streaking to relax and accept it as is. It's a completely different and unique effect I was a little unsure of but it will suffice in the absence of high definition photos of the real thing! And yet again, my very favorite comment on WWI Aircraft colours and finishes................ "the only one thing were sure of is...............we're not sure!!" :) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2017, 01:44:46 PM »
The acrylic wood base mix works nicely with all of the oil "woodgrain" colours by Winsor Newton that I use. Their #34 Raw Sienna, #2 Burnt Sienna, and #35 Raw Umber produce a light, medium, and dark wood grain effect respectively.
As it happens, those are the only three oils I have!
Zac in NZ

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2017, 04:33:13 PM »
Streaky-tastic!
Lovely work on the Razor, Lance  ;)

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2017, 09:23:58 PM »
You have definitely hit the mark on the look!!! It is for sure a more challenging finish to execute than the solid green but boy its ugly ;)

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2017, 11:14:25 PM »
Excellent Lance! I have been re reading the Old Aerodrome posts and Hans said something about having that pigment list minus the Mocha brown? I am still wondering what he meant. Your second set of photos really show awesome results.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2017, 12:31:15 AM »
Thanks von B and Steve.
Rick, yes it is pretty stark (ugly!) when you compare it to other finishes. As for the possible absence of the brown stain on the exterior Bughunter (Frank) made this comment earlier:
" There are four colors on the famous Fokkers parts list, but the brown was mentioned on a different place, I was told. "
That's further supportive of the two top/one bottom colour theory...........can you recall the source, Frank?? Does anyone have, or know where the Fokker Part List can be found?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Monty

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:20 AM »
Hi Lance, This is a lovely build to follow with some great natural wood, fabric and metal effects... quite stunning! I do like your interpretation of the streaked effect on the wings, it looks quite plausible and has a great choice of tone and colour. But we really don't know for sure, do we? But following this build is great inspiration and a journey into the realms of esoteric research... I Love it! Regards, Marc

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
Thanks Marc; my statement regarding "being sure" of 12 July stands............... and obviously you agree! The best we can do with a lot of these neat little mysteries is apply what we know for certain (very little!) and keep digging for more information and material. Now, at the 100 year point, it will only become more difficult!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2017, 01:44:48 AM »
How I missed this one, I'll never know!   Brilliant work all around and your streaking and the colors you've chosen are superb!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bud. Going against the consensus "flow" on the colours is not my normal approach however I really have a problem accepting the two colour bottom surface thus this scheme.....
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2017, 08:27:54 AM »
   I've decided I've gone as far as I wish to before adding the decals yet to arrive from Pheon, so this bird will be pushed to the back of the hangar (Desk) for a week or two. I've trimmed, fitted, and installed the top forward cowling and will be adding the engine cowling retaining strap and Taurus "Fokker Cowl Nuts once all the markings have been applied. As the photos show, there's a thumb print or two to be removed from the Future finish and some paint touch ups required for the leather coaming.

I may complete the guns but won't install them until after the markings as well. For now I'm cleaning up the Bench and have been agonising over what the next project should be. With 3 Camels in the Stash I'm thinking it will be intuitively obvious!  ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
Beauty Lance, here is hoping for a favorable tailwind for your (and my) Pheon order. 

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:19 AM »
Beautiful work, Lance! You're tempting me to add one to the stash!