Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 425690 times)

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #765 on: December 14, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »
We ran a similar survey here on this forum several years back, I compiled the list and sent it to Richard Alexander but he did not seem one bit interested virtually saying that they have there list already made up for up-coming kits and not many in the list were included. Wingnuts will do what they want when they want and take very little notice of customer wants or wishes, sorry, but that is the way it is.

Des.

Alright, back to the conspiracy theories again...
Honor Necessity

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #766 on: December 14, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
We ran a similar survey here on this forum several years back, I compiled the list and sent it to Richard Alexander but he did not seem one bit interested virtually saying that they have there list already made up for up-coming kits and not many in the list were included. Wingnuts will do what they want when they want and take very little notice of customer wants or wishes, sorry, but that is the way it is.

Des.

Just as an aside I certainly remember that poll. The strange thing is that this one is coming up with some strange results. SPAD XIII is the top vote getter?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

« Reply #767 on: December 14, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Yeah - looked like Spad and DrI were tops on their list.
-Patrick

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #768 on: December 14, 2014, 03:09:06 PM »
well for however long wnw is around 2 years or 10 one thing i am sure of is we will never again see a company that produces exclusively high quality injection molded ww1 aircraft .

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #769 on: December 14, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »

Des.

Thats how come we have a Felixstowe and an AEG coming. Would I rather have a SPAD? Nup
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #770 on: December 14, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
Thats how come we have a Felixstowe and an AEG coming. Would I rather have a SPAD? Nup

Or a Dr.I?  Zzzzzzzzzz

+100000000000000000000 :)

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #771 on: December 14, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
i'm with you on this bo. the roden kit is sufficient , i have like 4 of them plus photoetch and other details.its fun to make them into something nice looking. its called modelling. would it someday be cool to have a wnw dr.1? yeah sure but its not like the roden kit is a battle axe kit which is all we had for a 1/32 d.vii and eindecker. theres too many other kits i wish for 1st.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #772 on: December 14, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
Yes, we have a good Dr.I kit with nice upgrades ... And I'm sure more are on the way   :-X  :-X  :-X ... and the Dr.I is a cliché -- it's importance as a WWI fighter is way overstated... it was essentially DOA when it finally went into full strength service -- so so many other important and overlooked aircraft ... Um kinda like what WNW keeps bringing out. I hope they continue to ignore the polls...

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #773 on: December 14, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
Yes, we have a good Dr.I kit with nice upgrades ... And I'm sure more are on the way   :-X  :-X  :-X ... and the Dr.I is a cliché -- it's importance as a WWI fighter is way overstated... it was essentially DOA when it finally went into full strength service -- so so many other important and overlooked aircraft ... Um kinda like what WNW keeps bringing out. I hope they continue to ignore the polls...

I couldn't agree with you more and hopefully Im not the only one... Dr.I is surely a nice looking plane but I think greatest thing about WNW is that they are bringing all the others less (well)known aircrafts which have never been produced before...some of them I've never heard before I found WNW and year later I'm in love with WWI planes  :D
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline janh

« Reply #774 on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
If WNW disappeared tomorrow I would be very sad but still incredibly thankful for what quality kits they have (had?) brought to the hobby of subjects that I never would have thought we would see in 1/32nd scale....

A bit like accurate miniatures: they also took moulding to a new level. It stil saddens me they folded
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:45:12 AM by janh »

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #775 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
I personally want to see WNW produce the Fok.DR.1. For two reasons:
1st. The lack of rigging will bring in more modellers from other genres, which can only be a good thing for our hobby.
2nd. It makes perfect business sense to release this kit. WNW is a company and needs to turn a profit to bring in more investment for future obscure types. The DR.1 will do very nicely in this regard.

I'm not against bringing out Aircraft such as the Felixstowe, but we need the 'bread and butter' aircraft to prop up R&D and spread the tentacles of interest to other corners of out plastic tickling hobby  ;)

Peace  :)
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ermeio

« Reply #776 on: December 14, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
Long life to sir Peter,
I have some four folders of plans in 1/32,which were my shortlist of models good for the next scratch built model(s)
He has already put into his list some 25℅ of them and some others have been dome by roden, special hobby and planet models.
I still have plenty of models to select for scratch building and plenty of parts to cannibalize...
It was long ago that we had only academy nieuport and the horrible camel, and some nice tom'm model works vacuforms...
The tom's Pfalz d iii now rests in peace half cut --

WarrenD

« Reply #777 on: December 15, 2014, 03:25:08 AM »
Bob brings up some very valid points. I has started to post something similar here earlier this weekend, deleted it, but I guess I'll go ahead and post it now. Not that it really matters, we're all just here making noise in the big picture of things. :)

Just about every major player in the plastic scale modeling industry produces a "Wild Horsey" fighter and a Bf-one-oh-thingy. (My modeling interests are in 1/72nd, understand.) In fact, Airfix recently released a new "Wild Horsey" fighter. Why?  There are already a bunch of 1/72nd scale kits for that a/c by the likes of Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, etc. that are quite good in their own right, why bother? Well, to borrow a thought from a friend on another forum, the sales of those fighters from Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, etc. don't help Airfix/Hornby's bottom line one whit. Not one penny/pfenning/yen from those sales goes into Airfix's/Hornby's accounts, ergo they manufacture them along with Zeros, P-40's, and others that are the stock and trade of plastic aircraft kits.

Now, I sure don't know why Sir PJ started WNW, and I'd venture to say no one here does either except for speculation. Did he do it for fun? A labor of love? To start a new business venture, etc?  A lot of what they're going to do from here on out depends entirely upon whether they want the business to thrive and grow, or they're just doing it to do it. Albatri and Fokkers are the WWI scale modeling equivalent of "Wild Horsey" fighters in terms of sales for the bottom line. They're always going to sell. Felixstowes?  Really? Heck, I'm a WWI a/c fan, and I won't say I could care less, but I'm sure not running around trying to find things to sell so I can buy one, converting a spare bedroom for a display, etc.  ;D ;) ;)  However, I'm rather surprised they let the Fokker-built D.VII go OOP, because, as Bob pointed out about the Fokker Tripe: it has little to no rigging, and therefore can serve as a gateway drug, errrr, excuse me, gateway kit to this niche of the hobby.

When I decided back in '94 or so that I'd start buying some WWI a/c kits here and there for the day when I could build them, there wasn't much to choose from. Eduard was new on the scene, and we all know that their attention to our niche is what put them on the map. A few years ago, they've all but forgotten about WWI, in 1/72nd or 1/48th. They started to produce WWII kits to stay alive against the likes of Tamiya, Hasegawa, Revell, Roden, etc. I cannot ever see WNW producing anything but WWI a/c, and that has its limits. (FWIW, some of us pondered a few years back how long Albatros Pubs could last in terms of producing Datafiles. There are only so many images, etc. of WWI a/c, only so much research that can be had at this point. It's a finite field.)

So, like Bob said: if they want a money-maker, produce a Fokker Dr.I. It doesn't matter if Roden or someone else has done it, Roden's Tripe sales don't help WNW, but Sir PJ and the other folks at WNW know this, and LOT more to boot. (I think we all can agree that a Tripe from WNW will blow the Roden kit away, no offense Roden.)

Just my two kopecks, off of my soapbox now,

Warren

Offline James

Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #778 on: December 15, 2014, 04:11:45 AM »
Warren, well stated.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #779 on: December 15, 2014, 04:59:34 AM »
Very good post, Warren.  You know, the fact that the Fokker D VII sold out is just  further confirmation that WNW is simply not beholden to any of the market forces so prevalent in this or any other industry.  By now, you would think nothing would surprise those of us who post on here.  And yet we continue to be surprised...
Honor Necessity