Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 429803 times)

Offline macsporran

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2700 on: December 03, 2019, 06:24:45 PM »
Zavod, you are unaware that the UK customs delivery services add a whopping import charge if we try to buy direct from NZ. Also we pay UK VAT on top of NZ TVA! Wonderland prices are usually comparable with any other UK supplier, such as Hannants. You have the good luck to be able to import directly, without being stung for doing so: be happy.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2701 on: December 03, 2019, 08:03:14 PM »
even so, Hannant's prices aren't that much higher than on the WNW site.

i seriously doubt that the dreidecker will have a higher list price than the post war Ninak.

also it's worth noting anyone quoting a price at this point is just making it up.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2702 on: December 03, 2019, 09:13:00 PM »
Generally Hannants quote the U.S. dollar figure in GBP, so they are usually about 30% higher than WNW, unless they don't sell and the price is dropped a little.
I hope the price for the Dr.1 is wrong but have given up trying to understand WNW pricing. Why for example is the DH9a 119 bucks but the post-war DH9a 139 bucks. They're pretty well the same kit. I can only think they use different suppliers for the mouldings and calculate price as a percentage of actual cost. In which case it would depend where the Dr.1 is pressed/printed/ etched!
Let's hope it is actually 79-89 bucks. No lozenge so hopefully not 99USD.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2703 on: December 04, 2019, 04:17:49 AM »
Generally Hannants quote the U.S. dollar figure in GBP, so they are usually about 30% higher than WNW, unless they don't sell and the price is dropped a little.
I hope the price for the Dr.1 is wrong but have given up trying to understand WNW pricing. Why for example is the DH9a 119 bucks but the post-war DH9a 139 bucks. They're pretty well the same kit. I can only think they use different suppliers for the mouldings and calculate price as a percentage of actual cost. In which case it would depend where the Dr.1 is pressed/printed/ etched!

i compared the post-war ninak with the ninak a few months ago (coinciding precisely with the 10th anniversary sale) and persuaded myself that there was extra parts or something in the post-war. I went with the post-war, but it's probably confirmation bias coz i'd already determined i was interested in doing one of the defenders of the people's glorious revolution...

Offline wmcgill

« Reply #2704 on: December 04, 2019, 04:45:08 AM »

i compared the post-war ninak with the ninak a few months ago (coinciding precisely with the 10th anniversary sale) and persuaded myself that there was extra parts or something in the post-war. I went with the post-war, but it's probably confirmation bias coz i'd already determined i was interested in doing one of the defenders of the people's glorious revolution...

What surprises me is that Wingnuts show us all the information on their website and we still don't always pay attention. There is an extra set of parts (J) in the post war DH.9a and it was also manufactured 5 years after the original, but I doubt that would affect the price as much as the extra parts might.

Offline wmcgill

« Reply #2705 on: December 04, 2019, 04:54:23 AM »
Zavod, you are unaware that the UK customs delivery services add a whopping import charge if we try to buy direct from NZ. Also we pay UK VAT on top of NZ TVA! Wonderland prices are usually comparable with any other UK supplier, such as Hannants. You have the good luck to be able to import directly, without being stung for doing so: be happy.

Only NZ customers are charged NZGST (their equivalent of UKVAT) when ordering direct from wingnuts. Quoted from the Wingnuts website FAQ;

...New Zealand customers please note that NZ GST will be added to your order at check out but is included in your postage cost...

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2706 on: December 04, 2019, 05:29:17 AM »
What surprises me is that Wingnuts show us all the information on their website and we still don't always pay attention. There is an extra set of parts (J) in the post war DH.9a and it was also manufactured 5 years after the original, but I doubt that would affect the price as much as the extra parts might.
yah that's what i was referring to.

however, my memory is crap. it was crap when i was 6 and hasn't gotten less crap.

the extra sprue implies design and engineering costs etc. so, it makes sense. speaking for myself i have never found WNW's pricing mysterious. even the D.VII. there are a ton of (not that appealing compared to Aviattic) lozenge decals. i don't always agree but i feel like i get their thinking.

that's why i don't think the GBP 120 driedecker is a thing.

Offline wmcgill

« Reply #2707 on: December 04, 2019, 07:20:17 AM »
yah that's what i was referring to.

however, my memory is crap. it was crap when i was 6 and hasn't gotten less crap.

the extra sprue implies design and engineering costs etc. so, it makes sense. speaking for myself i have never found WNW's pricing mysterious. even the D.VII. there are a ton of (not that appealing compared to Aviattic) lozenge decals. i don't always agree but i feel like i get their thinking.

that's why i don't think the GBP 120 driedecker is a thing.

Agreed.

And don't forget the Fokker D.VII has about twice as many sprues as most other Wingnuts single seat fighter models. Surely that has to affect the overall price, even more so than the numerous extra decal sheets.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #2708 on: December 04, 2019, 07:41:16 AM »
Is there going to be a Christmas release?

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2709 on: December 04, 2019, 08:12:30 AM »

Guy

Seems not. The usual Christmas banner is on and no sign of any new kit release. But still, I would wait till the end of this week.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline AlbertD

« Reply #2710 on: December 04, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »

Guy

Seems not. The usual Christmas banner is on and no sign of any new kit release. But still, I would wait till the end of this week.
I'd be happy to see the pre-ordered kits ship before they go on holiday. But then again it might be safer to wait until the holiday rush is well over.

Offline pierrelm

« Reply #2711 on: December 05, 2019, 06:32:16 AM »

Guy

I expected a Hanriot or similar to pop out, but I wasn't holding my breath.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2712 on: December 05, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »
they've confirmed in podcast interviews that the Dreidecker happened coz they are listening to modelers. the noise about "more French subjects" has been nearly as loud as the Dr.1 noise, so i'm cautiously optimistic that some day we'll see a Hanriot.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #2713 on: December 05, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
they've confirmed in podcast interviews that the Dreidecker happened coz they are listening to modelers. the noise about "more French subjects" has been nearly as loud as the Dr.1 noise, so i'm cautiously optimistic that some day we'll see a Hanriot.

... and Copper State Models will get back to 1/48th scale planes and 1/35th scale AFV. That's it. The world's in order again.
And now: C'me on, Wingnut Wings!

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #2714 on: December 06, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »

... and Copper State Models will get back to 1/48th scale planes and 1/35th scale AFV. That's it. The world's in order again.
And now: C'me on, Wingnut Wings!
unlike Roden, CSM have shown no indication of slowing down on 1/32 planes while doing so. they just posted box art for the upcoming Nieuport 21 and 23 on Facebook.