Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 429667 times)

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2400 on: December 06, 2017, 04:58:53 AM »
[quote author=Black Max 72 link=

..." after saying that they wouldn't make any kits that are currently produced by other manufacturers they have then gone on to contradict themselves by kitting the SE5a Hisso and DH2 (Roden) and the Sopwith Camel (Hobbycraft, Academy, Iterlari etc...)

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD
Australia
[/quote]

You have to go back to the beginning---WNW actually started long before Roden announced their kits so those  first 2 were well into the works, unfortunately for Roden  the comparison must have been a contributing factor in them not continuing with 1/32. (imho- They made a BIG mistake by not doing the Fok D VII as one of their first 1/32 kits--  they may have weathered the WNW Tsunami and not have done the Sop Tripe). As for the Camel, it did take WNW 10 years to get around to it ... would you really not want the WNW Camels around?

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2401 on: December 06, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »

You have to go back to the beginning---WNW actually started long before Roden announced their kits so those  first 2 were well into the works, unfortunately for Roden  the comparison must have been a contributing factor in them not continuing with 1/32. (imho- They made a BIG mistake by not doing the Fok D VII as one of their first 1/32 kits--  they may have weathered the WNW Tsunami and not have done the Sop Tripe). As for the Camel, it did take WNW 10 years to get around to it ... would you really not want the WNW Camels around?

Ed

I was unaware of that. I always thought that the Roden kits were around quite a while before WNW arrived, how interesting. I imagine then that the arrival of WNW on the scene would've had a massive impact on Roden as to whether it would continue with 1/32 WWI kits. While I agree that a Roden Fokker DVII would've been welcome given the silly mistakes they made with the Dr.1 one could only imagine the extra work needed (ie "modelling skills") to bring them up to spec. I must admit that has played a big part as to why I haven't gone the Roden route yet even though I've been tempted. I've seen some wonderful build ups of the Roden kits on this site and one only has to look at Des work to see that they can be made into exceptional models but they do need that extra work that WNW kits don't and I just don't know if my skills are up to that yet! But they are the only game in town (at the moment ;)) if I want the Nieuport 24/27, Albatros DI/II/III, Siemens Schuckert DIII, Spad VII and because I was too slow  ::) the Sopwith Triplane and DH2.

As for the Sopwith Camel I am definitely in agreement that it is a welcome addition to the WNW line up I can't imagine anyone for any reason (except perhaps $) attempting the old Hobbycraft Camel now that the superlative WNW kit is available, that may change once the WNW kit sells out of course. But, correct me if I'm wrong, did't WNW say for many years that they were not going to do a Sopwith Camel? I was under the impression that they bowed to pressure from the modelling community.

Finally, please do not misconstrue any of my comments as an attack on Roden or any other manufacturer for that matter. As I've said it's more a case of not trusting my own modelling skills. The WNW kits are so well engineered in how they go together that the give me confidence that I can finish one to an acceptable standard without my frustration and OCD taking over! I am hoping that once I've gotten a few under my belt that I may have a crack at the Roden kits and some of the others like the short run Special Hobby WWI kits as well

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD
Australia

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2402 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »

Another thought that has struck me is given how long development takes for these kits and the almost military grade secrecy that surrounds most of their releases is how much are they aware of what other manufacturers are doing and vice versa, I mean wouldn't be funny (obviously not for them, but great for us ;D) for example, if WNW was in the process of developing a Nieuport 17 when CSM drops their bombshell. Would they put development on hold or release and directly compete? Up till recently WNW has had a clear playing field in 1/32 but who would've predicted that CSM would stray from 1/48 scale. Food for thought.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD
Australia

Expanding a little on what Ed said another "Funny Thing" that happened was that when WNW released the Pup Roden had one underway. They chose to change their kit into a Sopwith Triplane, without changing the fuselage. Little did they know that WNW had one in the pipeline  :-[ As for your thought on "If" WNW has a Niueport 17 in development, I think they would go ahead with their release. I have said elsewhere that I will buy 2 from Copper State Models even if WNW releases one, and I am serious about that! Of course there would be room for a WNW 17 also  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2403 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
Expanding a little on what Ed said another "Funny Thing" that happened was that when WNW released the Pup Roden had one underway. They chose to change their kit into a Sopwith Triplane, without changing the fuselage. Little did they know that WNW had one in the pipeline  :-[ As for your thought on "If" WNW has a Niueport 17 in development, I think they would go ahead with their release. I have said elsewhere that I will buy 2 from Copper State Models even if WNW releases one, and I am serious about that! Of course there would be room for a WNW 17 also  8)
RAGIII

Thanks for the history of the Roden Tripe. I always wondered how they made such a glaring error. Gee, I wouldn't have wanted to be in the Roden boardroom when they discovered WNW was releasing a Pup and a Tripe ;)

As for the Nieuport 17, I couldn't agree more. Given how widely the Nieuport 17 and its derivatives were used both during and after the war the options for schemes would be huge, Rowan at Pheon would definitely have his work cut out for him :D. After seeing the quality of Copper State Models recent releases in 1/48 I would have to say that their Nie 17 would definitely be, at the very least, on par with WNW in terms of accuracy and quality and if WNW did happen to release one I also would buy from both manufacturers especially if one offered the 'bis' fuselage as well, I think most everyone here on this forum would. It would be a win/win scenario for us that's for sure. Even if WNW doesn't release a Nie 17, I am very much looking forward to CSM's one and their upcoming Lancester armoured car. It definitely is a great time for us WWI modellers :)

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD
Australia 

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #2404 on: December 08, 2017, 10:01:22 AM »

Another thought that has struck me is given how long development takes for these kits and the almost military grade secrecy that surrounds most of their releases is how much are they aware of what other manufacturers are doing and vice versa, I mean wouldn't be funny (obviously not for them, but great for us ;D) for example, if WNW was in the process of developing a Nieuport 17 when CSM drops their bombshell. Would they put development on hold or release and directly compete? Up till recently WNW has had a clear playing field in 1/32 but who would've predicted that CSM would stray from 1/48 scale. Food for thought.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD
Australia

RAGIII
As a result of this, they created a kit whose fuselage was too short for production-run Sopwith triplanes.  I understand prototypes had the shorter "Pup" style fuselage.

Honor Necessity

Offline jamieg

« Reply #2405 on: December 08, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
If the hobby can support dozens of different Bf 109 kits, surely it can support 3 1/32 scale Nieuport 17s.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #2406 on: December 08, 2017, 02:59:57 PM »
Ive said this before, and will continue: Wingnut Wings should release the daddy of all airplanes..
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2407 on: December 08, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »
...... what, the Pilcher Hawk?
😉

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #2408 on: December 08, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »
Ive said this before, and will continue: Wingnut Wings should release the daddy of all airplanes..

Hargrave's Box Kite??
Eternal Apprentice

Offline boggie

« Reply #2409 on: December 08, 2017, 08:16:05 PM »

Offline rlrimell

« Reply #2410 on: December 10, 2017, 04:31:03 AM »
It's great to see what modellers want from WNW.

But you can be sure that virtually all those subjects that have been mentioned here already are probably on a 'to do' list somewhere in Wellington.

(Along with others not even suggested yet.) Before you ask,and contrary to some opinions,I do not know what they have up their sleeves for 2018 either.Both the Taube and Dolphin were a complete surprise to me -and a pleasant one at that.I am sure all our favourites will be kitted one day-just give them time...

...oh,and Happy Christmas to everyone here and also thanks to those who have purchased our  WNW Camel Special. We have others like it in the pipeline...

Cheers,

Ray R.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #2411 on: December 12, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »
I like the fact that Wingnut Wings are secretive about what they have planned and what is in the pipeline. Prevents a great deal of angst, hand-wringing, second-guessing and even badgering from their customer base. I think if they listened to others they wouldn’t have created models like the Dolphin, Junkers, AEG, etc.

Looking forward to the surprises that await.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2412 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »
I like the fact that Wingnut Wings are secretive about what they have planned and what is in the pipeline. Prevents a great deal of angst, hand-wringing, second-guessing and even badgering from their customer base. I think if they listened to others they wouldn’t have created models like the Dolphin, Junkers, AEG, etc.

Looking forward to the surprises that await.

You are absolutely correct, Fortunately Sir PJ has the $ resources to allow him to do what he wants and we are all the lucky recipients of his decisions !  All you have to do is Look at the 1st release, the J1. No one else would start off a New Company and a New line of 1 /32 kits with that, (it still has not sold out) yet Sir PJ wanted it, definite proof that he does what he wants, as it has been said-- they are not a market driven company.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline rayb24

« Reply #2413 on: December 12, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
Agreed I like the fact they do what they want. That has made our small group of modellers very happy way more often than not.

I also love the surprise just before Christmas. Kind of makes you nostalgic to when you were a kid and you saw the brand new model in the hobby store, of course now its not your parents you bug, its SWMBO lol...

Ray

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2414 on: December 12, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
Yes, I agree with Ray. Since many years the chrismas release makes me curious what is coming up. Makes me feel like a little kid.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau