Author Topic: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation  (Read 430365 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Time for the annual Wingnuts speculation
« Reply #2385 on: December 04, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »
And with JW Pearson's markings!

Thanks for the heads up Bud.

cheers  :)

My Uncle Jim's bus is on the cover! My wife's already ordered mine for Christmas.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline mgunns

« Reply #2386 on: December 04, 2017, 01:55:13 PM »
I was thinking he may be related to you.  That's his photo you use for your avatar isn't it?
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #2387 on: December 04, 2017, 02:27:52 PM »
Yep!  Handsome devil, isn't he?  He told me the Hun's were afraid of the Dolphin.  Wouldn't willingly engage.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Eric Armstrong

• Expectation is a prison
« Reply #2388 on: December 04, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
Yep!  Handsome devil, isn't he?  He told me the Hun's were afraid of the Dolphin.  Wouldn't willingly engage.
Cheers,
Bud

What made the Dolphin such a good airplane?
Honor Necessity

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #2389 on: December 04, 2017, 03:26:32 PM »
Cheers,
Bud

Speed, high altitude capability, range, maneuverability, pilot visibility, armament, rugged structure and it just looked mean.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2390 on: December 04, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »
Cheers,
Bud

Speed, high altitude capability, range, maneuverability, pilot visibility, armament, rugged structure and it just looked mean.
Cheers,
Bud

That is a fine description, Bud. To the point. And makes one want build the aircraft flown by The Man who said that! :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline chris_jephcott

« Reply #2391 on: December 04, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
And my resolution to buy no more models this year goes out of the window.

That looks beautiful.
Currently building: WNW Hansa-Brandenburg W29

Offline macsporran

« Reply #2392 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »
There is a God in Heaven!
Thank you Wingnuts, my number one wishlist item ticked.

To me, one of the most significantly overlooked aeroplanes of the Great War - just read Winged Victory to see how at least one (real) Camel jockey yearned to fly high and fast in an SE or a Dolphin.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2393 on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »
One of the 4 I have been predicting for years  8) Eventually you have to get it right  :o My only issue is NO 19 Squadron Markings so Help Me Rowan!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #2394 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:49 PM »
The Dolphin was number one on my list, too. It so looks the business.
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy.

Boundless cheers  :)

Syd

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2395 on: December 05, 2017, 12:33:20 AM »
Quote from RAG III: "so Help Me Rowan!"

That's the next step in making this even better for me, a set of Markings from Pheon including the green maple leaf and a serial or two of the Canadian Dolphins at Hounslow UK as shown on the last page of the kit's instruction Booklet. (Like the Canadian Fokkers tagged onto the Snipe Sheet Rowan!) A perfect complement to my 1 Squadron Canadian Air Force OAW D.VII. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #2396 on: December 05, 2017, 05:52:08 AM »
The Christmas surprise is a Dolphin! 
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/2021B15D45FDEA4305F505F87662C080

Cheers,
Bud

Hey Amigo, did I not call it long ago !! Now you will have the Trifecta: 1/48 vac Kit,  1/48 CSM plastic and the Cherry on top the 1/32 WNW Have just ordered mine also.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2397 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »
Getting me one of those fancy flying porpoise for xMas  ;)

Yipppeeeeee!

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2398 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:41 AM »
Has anyone noticed with the release of the Dolphin that this is the 4th time that Wingnuts has used the Fokker Triplane as an adversary on the box art? On the other British kits they've mainly used as adversaries the Fokker DVII (also 4, I think) and the Albatros DV series (3) both of which have been kitted by Wingnuts the only other adversaries shown are the Albatros DII and DIII on the FE2b early and Sopwith Pup kits. Now after saying that they wouldn't make any kits that are currently produced by other manufacturers they have then gone on to contradict themselves by kitting the SE5a Hisso and DH2 (Roden) and the Sopwith Camel (Hobbycraft, Academy, Iterlari etc...) So I'm going to throw my hat into the ring and predict that once they've made all the kits that Sir PJ wants, one of the last kits they will produce will be the Fokker Triplane to make everyone happy :D Guess they will have to produce a bucketload given how popular it will be! Of course I won't object to them finishing off the Albatros series either.

Another thought that has struck me is given how long development takes for these kits and the almost military grade secrecy that surrounds most of their releases is how much are they aware of what other manufacturers are doing and vice versa, I mean wouldn't be funny (obviously not for them, but great for us ;D) for example, if WNW was in the process of developing a Nieuport 17 when CSM drops their bombshell. Would they put development on hold or release and directly compete? Up till recently WNW has had a clear playing field in 1/32 but who would've predicted that CSM would stray from 1/48 scale. Food for thought.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD
Australia

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #2399 on: December 06, 2017, 03:37:51 AM »
I was just about to post, with the "box art theory" often brought up on the Forum, if anyone had noticed the attacking plane on the Dolphin art. It's fun to speculate, though!  ;)

Rich