Author Topic: 1:72 Maquette Ilya Muromets  (Read 49744 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: 1:72 Maquette Ilya Muromets
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
Great Idea with the monofilament, Ian.  Good indication of your imagination.  I am
really enjoying following your build.  Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
Great idea that you had with the mono.

I would never imagine the work that this model needs to get it right, but you're doing quite a job.

Well done Ian.

Cheers

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:50 AM »
  Ian,
Outstanding work on the fuselage my old friend. I almost hate to see the improvements sealed up inside. There are no doubt more awesome improvement will come to light before this baby completed. Looking forward to more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline IanB

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
Thanks for all the comments folks!

I've done a little more on the wings - the aerofoil section is now acceptable and the joints are done - the scribing on the upper wings has been filled and sanded and will be done again - it wasn't far off, but far enough!  The lower wings have the the walkways and wing section clamps added and the batons will be added when the upper wings are at the same stage...

Ian
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:43:08 AM by IanB »

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
Man I cannot wait to see how this build looks when finished.
Excellent work.
-Roger

Offline IanB

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
Thanks, Roger.
 I haven't been idle, but adding all the "batons" to the wings and control surfaces has taken a long time and I'm not sure I'm happy with it. I may yet remove it all and replace it with thinner mono. We'll see.....

Ian

Offline RichO

• Retired Art Director
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
I really want one in 1/32 scale!
OMG, I have finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side, there is nothing left.

Offline xmald

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
I really want one in 1/32 scale!
So you better start building a hangar for it  ;) I think it`s big in 72nd, would be huge in 48th and in 32nd it would be a leviathan!

Best regards
Filip

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
A hanger! Maybe  xmald; some of us may already need house extensions to accommodate our growing collections.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:34 PM »
Hello Ian,

I missed this build as I was quite new on the forum at that time. You achieve  an amazing build and show great craftmanship. This is really something.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline RichO

• Retired Art Director
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2013, 12:37:24 AM »
   I really like the huge multi engine bombers! I'd like to have 'em all in 1/32 size. The WnW Gotha is 30 inches wide. Tha AEG G.IV will be close to that. A 1/32 Handly Page 0/400 would be cool. I need to lurn more about scratch building befor I attempt to start my collection of 1/32's.
OMG, I have finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there is nothing right, and on the right side, there is nothing left.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2013, 04:35:38 AM »
Hello Ian:

Just catching up on this build.  Very impressive work you are doing on this kit.  I am looking forward to more progress and seeing what you do to spruce up the kit.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline IanB

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »
Hi all,
 Due to the big snow storm we were hit with last Thurs/Fri I had 4 days off instead of just the weekend, so made a little progress (sort of)...actually it was a slight step back.
 I stripped off all the monofilament which I'd carefully applied to the flight surfaces. It was overscale and wouldn't stay attached properly at the leading edges due to its thickness and the curvature of the wing. I have cleaned up the surfaces and started again with thinner mono (2lb and .005" instead of 6lb and about double the thickness). In addition I've switched to Plastruct Plastic Weld instead of normal glue - it's working much better and sticking quicker, making the job much easier and cleaner. It also looks 10x better! So far I have the rudder, aileron upper surfaces, and one upper wing done. I did have the horizontal tail surfaces done (upper side only) but decided after further checking of photos that they should extend under the tail too so I stripped them again and will do those a 3rd time tomorrow!

I've also given the whole thing a coat of flat white primer to see where any further attention may be needed.
Pics to come...

Ian

guitarlute101

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2014, 02:54:56 AM »

Aweome work on this kit Ian! You are really doing some major renovations.

Mark

Offline Dazzled

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
What a brilliant and inspirational build.  Seeing work like this takes some of the trepidation out of attempting a large biplane from  an older kit. 8)