Author Topic: Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik  (Read 7678 times)

Offline rhallinger

Re: Lohner T.I 1/33rd from Orlik
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 09:34:34 PM »
Looking fantastic Dan!  Glad to see this one coming along so well and with minimal difficulties.  I’ve got it in the stash, and will follow in your footsteps eventually.  I’ve always liked the Lohner aircraft.  Very well done my friend!

Best,

Bob

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2023, 02:42:25 AM »
Thanks, Bob.  It is, so far, a really, really nice kit.  All those struts etc. will be...interesting.

Dan

Offline RichieW

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2023, 04:28:00 AM »
Great subject Dan, you make it all look so easy but I very much doubt that it is!

Richie

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2023, 02:07:14 PM »
Lovely work as always Dan but, man, am I having trouble keeping my Lohners straight at the moment!  ;D

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2023, 02:58:07 PM »
Thanks Richie and Zac!  I know...I really didn't realize there were so many.  Lots of documentation for me!

I do find this machine rather sleek and pretty.  The wood, bright colors and all that rigging will really set it off. 

I got the underside and the top basic skins on.  The bottom went really well but my underside nose part isn't nearly as nice.  It's a complex bit of curves under there.  Oh, well...still looks pretty good and will be ok with a bit of touch up.

I only added some spacers (where my fingers are) to make sure the bottom matched the sides with little overlap.  Worked wonders.  I also added some pennies in the area just behind the cockpit in hopes of the machine sitting level once it's all done.  The tails etc. may make it a tail-sitter!  We shall see.

Still loving this kit,
Dan

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 08:54:28 PM »
Man oh man Dan!  You certainly have mastered this craft. That hull looks very difficult to construct. Just beautiful!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2023, 09:35:07 PM »
This is looking outstanding Dan. Excellent progress and quality work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2023, 04:37:46 AM »
Thanks Tim and Rick!  These just take practice and some re-training.  You guys would kill these...

Got a smidge more done last night and this AM.  I got the seats and belts installed and the forward top decking.  I bent some fine fuse wire to make the main buckles.  Just looks better than I could cut out of paper.  Finally, I added my wing supports (which I was SUPPOSED to add before I added the top decking!) by carefully cutting out the slots and gluing the supports in with super glue.  I made sure they protruded the correct distance by using one side as a reference (the full part cut out as it was supposed to attach under the top skinning).  Then installed the other side by putting some wire through each hole and made sure that they were straight and true using the Mk.I eyeball and I think I succeeded.  They have a tad of positive incidence as well.  Looks fine to me. Oh!  And I added the circular covers for the water tight hull sections on top!  Forgot about those...

Next will be the tails!  can't wait.

Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2023, 05:08:33 AM »
Lovely! If Przemos' resin build is any indication the Tail May be challenging. I have faith you will do just fine!
RAGIII

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2023, 09:29:25 PM »
Very nice work Dan!  I am going to school on your build.  Thanks for showing me through the minefield. ;)

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 12:46:39 PM »
Thanks Rick and Bob!   ;)

Minefield was the word for the tail but it went smoothly since I made a jig much like when I'm putting on a wing from a Fokker D-VII with super complicated cabanes.  You can see it in one of the shots.  Then I just used dividers, cut wire to length and glued with super glue and zip kicker.  Took it apart and it's straight, strong and true!  Took a couple of tries but I do think that may be the hardest part.  Next I think I'll work on the center section/engine mount and leave the rudder/fin and elevators off until later.  Just more to break!

Thanks for looking...Dan
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 01:55:37 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 12:55:49 PM »
Impressive result on the complicated tail, Dan!  Nice jig.  The whole air(sea) frame is looking very convincing.  Great model!  Keep going.

Best regards,

Bob

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2023, 11:45:39 PM »
Excellent results. The Tail looks perfect!
RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2023, 02:32:30 PM »
Thanks so much Bob and Rick!

And now:  This looks like ridiculously little work but let me tell you!  Each engine bearer was 7 pieces and were lots of fun to cut out.  So skinny on the edges.  Then...I needed to learn how to solder.  Turns out it's fun but fraught with danger.  I got this tiny part done and it looks nice but it took multiple tries.  There will be a bit more soldering from here out, but hopefully I've learned a few things?

Anyway, little progress but important progress too.

Dan

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2023, 03:37:59 PM »
Lovely work Dan - any progress is good progress, and this looks like great progress!