Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C  (Read 11106 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: 1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2023, 05:00:35 AM »
Hi all,
As described earlier in this thread, Scout 1260 had an external starter switch on the left side of the cockpit decking panel.
This was created from pieces of sprue.

The gun latch for holding the Lewis machine gun vertically during reloading or un-jamming was located on the right side of the decking panel.
This was created by cutting spare photo-etch sheet. It will be fitted to the decking panel later in this build.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2023, 09:04:23 AM »
Catching up. Great progress!!

Steve

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2023, 05:57:53 AM »
Hi all,
The Gnome Lambda Rotary engine is complete, including 0.4 mm diameter Brass tubes with 0.2 mm diameter copper wire spark plug leads.
I cut away the kit spark plugs and drilled holes into the cylinders to mount the plugs.
The engine was then fitted to the engine bulkhead and the cowl fitted over the engine.
I had to slightly sand the valve levers on the top of each cylinder to allow the cowl to fit, as they were restricting the fit of the cowl.
Due to the size of the opening in the engine cowl being so small, very little of the engine can be seen.

Now it's on to external pre-rigging,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2023, 08:45:03 AM »

Due to the size of the opening in the engine cowl being so small, very little of the engine can be seen.
[/quote]

Yes but what can (and cannot) be seen is masterfully executed!

Tim

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2023, 01:46:39 AM »
Lovely Mike. I am amazed at the opening size of the cowl. I never realized how small it is. Your work looks fabulous as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2023, 10:12:16 PM »
Hi all,
An interesting post from David Bremner, during the build of his Bristol Scout 1264.
The Scout, like other aircraft of that period, had no synchronizing gear for forward firing machine guns.
Most know of the death of Max Immelmann in his Fokker E, when it's been suggested that his aircraft broke up when bullets from his machine guns hit the propeller.
David carried out an interesting experiment by firing 0.303 rounds (as for a Lewis machine gun) from a rifle into a half built propeller.
As can be seen from the following photograph, the rounds passed through the propeller without too much damage.
Admittedly the propeller would have been static so centrifugal forces etc would not have been taken into account.
Nonetheless, it's an interesting experiment.

"Here’s our half propeller, with two holes, which is more or less what you might expect from emptying a Lewis gun drum of 47 rounds. As you can see, the propeller will pretty definitely get you home."

Mike

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2023, 11:43:43 PM »
Interesting - I'd test it that way every time.....

Steve

Offline Borsos

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2023, 04:45:32 AM »
Here’s our half propeller, with two holes, which is more or less what you might expect from emptying a Lewis gun drum of 47 rounds. As you can see, the propeller will pretty definitely get you home."

That’s really an interesting insight. I would have thought you’d need also the other half to get you home…
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2023, 06:41:27 AM »
Hi all,
As I'm going to apply the 'Aviattic' CDL decals (clear backed) to the model, I primed with a white primer (Tamiya).
The primer was then polished using the 'Flory Models' green/white polishing stick.
This saves having to gloss clear coat before the decals.
It also allows for wearing away primer from some raised detail and a precursor to pre-shading.

So next up is pre-shading and internal structure,

Mike

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2023, 07:22:22 PM »
Hi all,
Just for interest.
The decking panel between the cockpit and forward metal panels was made of three layered Ash plywood.
However, it was finally covered with glued on linen for protection.
As can be seen from the illustration, the fuel gauge breather pipe was also covered with the linen.
Hopefully I'll be able to apply the 'Aviattic' CDL decal over both,

Mike

Offline Boch

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »
Hello,

I have this canvas imitation decal from Aviattick and it looks fantastic. I was tempted to cover the entire Nieuport with this, but common sense suggested that with the first model of this type, I would not charge too much. Anyway, I'm very curious to see how it will turn out for you. You have much more experience, so I expect an extraordinary result.

Lukasz

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2023, 09:23:32 PM »
Hi Lukasz,I'm following your amazing Nieuport build.
You modelling skill is obvious  :D
I've used the 'clear' backed Aviattic weave effect and the CDL decals on many models and covered the whole aircraft with it.
It can be done as long as you accurately cut the decals to the correct shape for the parts.
As an example, here's my Nieuport 17 from Copper State Models that has the 'clear' backed Weave effect decal applied,
It is difficult to see as it's applied over the silver base colour, which makes it less visible,

Mike

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=13572.0

« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 12:32:37 AM by Mike Norris »

Offline xan

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2023, 10:32:16 PM »
Hi Mike!
Do you think the oil tank behind the pilot was linen covered too ?
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2023, 02:39:04 AM »
Hi Mike!
Do you think the oil tank behind the pilot was linen covered too ?
Hi Xan,
Yes it's covered the same as the forward decking panel.
Initially the Scout C's had the oil tank fitted in the forward fuselage, but soon found that it caused the aircraft to be nose heavy.
Subsequently later Scout C and the D versions had the oil tank fitted behind the pilot, which improved the flight trim of the aircraft.
That's why there is the large oil supply pipe on the cockpit left side frame.
The following illustration is of a Scout D, which is why the rear of the cockpit is not vertical (Scout C),

Mike

Offline Boch

« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2023, 07:20:02 AM »
Your Nieuport looks great. This invoice is amazing. Do you have any recommended method of redrawing elements from which you then cut tracing paper? I must try it next time. Your work is amazing and very inspiring.