Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C  (Read 10780 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Bristol Scout C
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2023, 09:52:02 AM »
Very Impressive addition Mike. That braided tube looks interesting for several uses!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2023, 09:10:42 PM »
Hi all,
The Pulsometer pipes are done.
To extend the length of the kit pre-moulded pipes, I joined two 0.5 mm diameter Brass tubes together with thin CA adhesive.
These were Copper colour painted.
They were secured to the cockpit left side frame, again with the CA adhesive.
Two lengths of 0.3 mm diameter Copper wire were annealed (softened with heat).
These were bent to fit into the tube ends and the pre-drilled holes in the oil pump and engine crankshaft (through the opening in the crankshaft mounting plate).
They were secured in position using thin CA adhesive.

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2023, 09:52:03 PM »
Very nice work on the interior bits, Mike.

Forgive me, but my understanding of how the oil pulsometer works is not consistent with your description.  I may very well be wrong, but I understand that a single tube from the exit of the oil pump goes to the pulsometer, aside from the lubrication piping to the engine.  When the oil pump discharges oil in a pulse-like manner, the spike in pressure makes the oil in the pulsometer 'jump'.  That is why there is only one tube going to the pulsometer.  If the pilot sees the oil jumping in the pulsometer, he knows the oil pump is working.
Again, I may have this all wrong, but I'm just trying to understand these early machines.

I'll keep following your progress on this fascinating project.

Ken

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2023, 10:47:12 PM »
Very nice work on the interior bits, Mike.

Forgive me, but my understanding of how the oil pulsometer works is not consistent with your description.  I may very well be wrong, but I understand that a single tube from the exit of the oil pump goes to the pulsometer, aside from the lubrication piping to the engine.  When the oil pump discharges oil in a pulse-like manner, the spike in pressure makes the oil in the pulsometer 'jump'.  That is why there is only one tube going to the pulsometer.  If the pilot sees the oil jumping in the pulsometer, he knows the oil pump is working.
Again, I may have this all wrong, but I'm just trying to understand these early machines.

I'll keep following your progress on this fascinating project.

Ken
Hi Ken,
Yes the Pulsometer does, as the name implies, 'pulse' to give the pilot a visual indication of the engine oil delivery.
My understanding of the Gnome 'Lambda' engine is based on similar installations, such as shown in the following illustration.
It indicates that the engine oil supply is fed via the Pulsometer to the engine.
This would make sense as to have just an indication of pump output would not show if the engine itself was being lubricated.
Just my take on the system although I could be wrong,

Mike

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 11:01:25 PM by Mike Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2023, 11:54:59 PM »
Hi Mike,  based on the diagram you have provided, I would say that you are correct.  I suspect the pulsometer system could have been set up differently in other aircraft.

Looking forward to additional updates.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2023, 12:43:58 AM »
Thanks for explaining things Mike. Your pipes look great.
RAGIII

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2023, 06:59:09 AM »
Hi Mike,  based on the diagram you have provided, I would say that you are correct.  I suspect the pulsometer system could have been set up differently in other aircraft.

Looking forward to additional updates.

Hi Ken,
Yes you could be right.
This is only what I believe is correct for the Scout and its Gnome Lambda engine,

Mike

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2023, 06:59:27 AM »
Hi all,
The fuselage underside panel (C8) locates into the joined fuselage halves with two circular rings.
As the rear of the cockpit is not closed off, the forward and larger locating ring will be visible.
Therefore that area on the bottom of the fuselage halves is covered with a cut 0.3 mm thick plastic card.
Once the fuselage is closed up the locator ring as well as the fuselage seam joint will be covered,

Mike

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2023, 01:13:26 AM »
Ahh! The proverbial false bottom.   I use this technique often when building short run and vac kits.  Looking great!

All the best,
Tim

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2023, 05:52:24 AM »
Hi all,
The cockpit assembly is rigged now.
It has the rudder, aileron and elevator control cables.
I've also rigged all of the frame cross bracing wires.
These are made of blacked 0.4 mm diameter tube, 0.08 mm diameter mono-filament and 'Proper Plane' resin turnbuckles.
Only four turnbuckles have not been fitted.
Two below the pilots foot board assembly as they can't be seen.
One on the outside of both cockpit side frames, also that can't be seen and also can interfere with the cockpit fit in the fuselage halves.
The pilots instrument panel also fitted.

I still have the fuel tank and associated pipework to do (not supplied in the kit.
Also weathering of the cockpit and inside the fuselage halves,

Mike

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 06:02:36 AM by Mike Norris »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2023, 06:19:45 AM »
Excellent work Mike! I love the IP  8)
RAGIII

Offline RichieW

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2023, 07:25:09 AM »
Superb interior Mike, I'm enjoying learning about what all the parts are from your well informed build.

Richie

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2023, 05:36:35 AM »
Hi all,
Thanks to David Bremner, owner and operator of Bristol Scout 1264.
He sent me some factory drawings showing the Scout's fuel system.
There is still some guesswork involved but there is enough for me to at least represent the fuel system inside the fuselage.
As most building the CSM Scout would probably build it as supplied, the fuselage is totally closed, so everything forward from the instrument panel wouldn't be seen.
However, I'm modelling the forward access panels in the fuselage open, so a little of the internal details will be seen.
What I can do will be scratch built, although much of it still won't be seen (unless you hold up the model and use a torch  ;D).

Mike 

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2023, 12:33:18 AM »
Very nice looking interior work Mike.  All that plumbing is mind boggling!

Tim

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2023, 06:26:50 AM »
Hi all,
A few modifications to the cockpit assembly.
I've added the magneto HT lead. I've painted it red only so it can be seen inside the fuselage.
Also a fuel tank (bottom only) with collector sump and outlet to the fuel gauge.
The fuel system and its controls are way too lengthy to repeat here on the forum.
However, I've detailed the fuel system in my PDF build log, which I'll post on completion of the model.
The basic engine fuel supply is as follows:
  Sump on the fuel tank through a shut-off cock then a pipe to the fine control valve.
  From the fine control valve, through a pipe to the underside of the carburetor.

Mike