Author Topic: Roden 1/32nd scale Pfalz DIII: Hans Klein Jasta 10 Plus Albatros DIII  (Read 6441 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: Roden 1/32nd scale Pfalz DIII: Hans Klein Jasta 10 Plus Albatros DIII
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 11:04:16 PM »
Both of your birds are looking excellent, Rick.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no 'incidents' happen.

Thanks Ken !
The Albatros has come close since I posted. One of the Cabanes bent and detached while I was trying to fix the bend. The rigging held things together so I was able to re attach it, although the somewhat better bend is still there  :-[
RAGIII

Nice work - you have a factory going!! You've inspired me to pick up on my WNW Pup I started long ago. I love your energy and output of great models and want to REALLY take part in this forum. Thanks for the kick in the pants!!

Steve

Thanks Steve. I always Like to Hear that sometimes My work inspires others! I look forward to seeing your Pup!
RAGIII

I agree with Ken: both models look first class - and I am not writing more so as not to encourage any gremlins!

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen  ;D
RAGIII

Beautimous Rick!  Love your Silbergrau and I do love that series of books. I'll have to get your mix for that yellow one day.

WD

Thanks Warren. I will try to post photos of the mix in the future  ::)
RAGIII

Those are some beautiful looking birds there Rick!

BC

Thanks Brad!
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2022, 08:05:11 AM »
The wheels and radiator piping have been added to the DIII.
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 10:03:08 PM »
These are two great colourful builds, Rick! Really enjoyable to watch! I have an Albatross DIII on the back burner and I learned a lot from your build! Regards, Marc.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2022, 12:45:22 AM »
These are two great colourful builds, Rick! Really enjoyable to watch! I have an Albatross DIII on the back burner and I learned a lot from your build! Regards, Marc.

Thanks Marc! I finished the Main riggi ng on the Albatros Yesterday and almost all of the Pfalz.

RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2022, 01:55:05 AM »
Marc,
I don't know which Roden Albatros version you have but thought I would Post a list of changes I have made to the OAW version:

1. The Rudder is oversized. I used a WNW DV rudder and drawings to reduce the size and refine the shape.
2. The wing Radiator is oversized. I used a WNW DV radiator as a direct replacement ( required sanding off the kit radiator)
3. The radiator piping was the same as supplied for the centrally mounted Early DIII. I used one of the spare WNW pipes for the  rear one and added a curved piece to the Roden part for the other.

Other Mods: ( Personal Choices)
4. I added some Valve springs using wound wire
5. I added Plug wires from sprue although they really can't be seen.
6. The kit interior represents a DI/ DII. I made a couple of small changes to better represent a DIII ( Mostly to the Stick and Rudder Controls )
7. Kurt Wusthoff's DIII showed a lot of stressed skin (Ply) so I used a Dremel and files on the fuselage. I kept it subtle and it doesn't really show in My Photos
8. I used rib tape decals from a WNW Fokker DVII to simulate the tapes.

One More Photo:

RAGIII

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 03:58:17 AM by RAGIII »

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2022, 03:17:26 AM »
Nice work and thanks for the update list!!

Steve

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2022, 04:37:39 AM »
Nice work and thanks for the update list!!

Steve

Thanks Steve! One thing I forgot to mention about updates for the kit. The Engine supplied is the same as the DI and Early DIII. I am relatively certain that the DIII OAW used the same engine as later DV/Va Albatri. The Valve lifters should be offset rather than central. I totally forgot about this on My build!! Oh well not many would have noticed   :-X

The Pfalz is Now Mostly rigged. I have lots of touch up to do then add the wing crosses and weathering.

RAGIII

PS: I am also "Pretty Sure" that the Pfalz should also have offset Valve Lifters  :-[

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2022, 06:45:52 AM »
Offset or no, she looks magnificent to me RAGman!
Zac in NZ

Offline DaveB

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2022, 10:08:03 PM »
I take your word regarding the offset valve lifters (I don't have a clue) but both your birds are progressing beautifully, Rick.

Regards

Dave

As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline malaula

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2022, 01:46:20 AM »
Rick ,you've done a very good job on these two .I really like the red stripe on the Pfalz- it makes such a great difference to the all black markings!And the pinkish mauve sure looks interesting..I'll give that a try on my next Albi-build !
cheers
Mathias

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2022, 03:20:19 AM »
For a small fee we will all keep the valve situation our little secret.....she looks great!

Steve

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2022, 04:33:19 AM »
LOVE THAT PFALZ ! Oh my God !!!! she is stunning Rick  :)

Alexis , more exciting then a tick on a coon hound !
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »
Offset or no, she looks magnificent to me RAGman!

Thanks Zac!
RAGIII

I take your word regarding the offset valve lifters (I don't have a clue) but both your birds are progressing beautifully, Rick.

Regards

Dave

I guess you will have to Trust Me...and Thanks Dave!
RAGIII

Rick ,you've done a very good job on these two .I really like the red stripe on the Pfalz- it makes such a great difference to the all black markings!And the pinkish mauve sure looks interesting..I'll give that a try on my next Albi-build !
cheers
Mathias

Thanks! The red stripe is indeed an improvement over previous theories  8) As for that Pinkish Mauve, see the last part of this post!
RAGIII

For a small fee we will all keep the valve situation our little secret.....she looks great!

Steve

SHH! What are you talking about ?  8)
RAGIII

LOVE THAT PFALZ ! Oh my God !!!! she is stunning Rick  :)

Alexis , more exciting then a tick on a coon hound !

Thanks Alexis! Getting approval from the Queen of the Pfalz is always appreciated !
RAGIII

So now for a VERY SMALL update:
I have changed the color of the Albatros German Lilac/Mauve just a bit. The Polyscale color was considered very accurate in the Early 90's. I just couldn't wrap Myself totally around the color. So having discovered that Polyscale and Valejo seem to play well together I mixed some Intense blue from Valejo with the Polyscale Mauve. I then brushed a Thinned coat over the previously sprayed areas. This turned it a bit more Violet but left some of the Pinkish showing through. I think after some Oil Dot Filters to blend it in it will look great....or so I hope!

WNW crosses have been added to the upper wing on the Pfalz and Albatros:
RAGIII

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:12:11 PM by RAGIII »

Offline WD

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2022, 10:05:22 AM »
Brilliant about what you did with the mauve there Rick. As for oil dot filtering, I'd be interested to know the colors you're going to use for that. I plan on doing some oil dots on my current build, so it's a first for me.
I love all of your builds, you always build to a high standard, but that Pfalz . . . . oh my.

WD

Offline Grant

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2022, 11:06:00 AM »
Great set of fighters for your collection Rich, very nicely! done!