Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Fokker D.VI  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Beto

Re: 1:32nd scale Fokker D.VI
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 07:33:28 PM »
The struts on this kit need to be beefed up or replaced with something more solid. The upper wing is way too heavy for the flimsy plastic and the landing gear struts are wobbly even before you attach the top wing. When I did mine, I assembled it in a jig. When I took it out and sat it on the table, the weight of the top wing caused a complete collapse of the upper wing and that stress caused the landing gear to collapse...

Jamieg, I am wondering, whether these brass-(cabane-)struts for the Dr.I might also fit the D.VI?
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerocraft-acm32fos-fokker-dri-triplane-brass-struts--1316237

No, the D.VI had a two spar top wing and used a strut configuration very similar to the Fokker D.VII

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 08:55:41 PM »
The struts on this kit need to be beefed up or replaced with something more solid. The upper wing is way too heavy for the flimsy plastic and the landing gear struts are wobbly even before you attach the top wing. When I did mine, I assembled it in a jig. When I took it out and sat it on the table, the weight of the top wing caused a complete collapse of the upper wing and that stress caused the landing gear to collapse...

Jamieg, I am wondering, whether these brass-(cabane-)struts for the Dr.I might also fit the D.VI?
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerocraft-acm32fos-fokker-dri-triplane-brass-struts--1316237

No, the D.VI had a two spar top wing and used a strut configuration very similar to the Fokker D.VII

Thank you for the clarification, Beto!
Now we need someone who is able to and wants to produce some strong struts for us…

Offline jamieg

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2022, 05:51:50 PM »

Thank you for the clarification, Beto!
Now we need someone who is able to and wants to produce some strong struts for us…

I don't really see that happening. It is now a somewhat elderly kit and probably not all that popular. Too bad. Once I made some replacement struts I was very happy with the final result. Some people have complained about the decals fracturing, but mine were fine. I keep telling folks to use warm water when soaking decals but no one ever believes me...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 03:49:00 AM »
I am certain whatever struts you make will be fantastic Mike. About the brass struts mentioned earlier,  they did do a set for the Mikro Mir Fokker EV. As the EV kit used cabanes from the Roden DVI, I wonder if us mere mortals could make them work? If the cabanes are strong the N interplane struts from the kit would probably hold up.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 04:52:46 AM »
Hi Rich,
'Aerocraft Models' advertise Brass struts for the Fokker E.V that possibly could be used.
However, finding a retailer that has them in stock is tricky.
Anyway, my guess is that they are casts of the kit parts and probably not that good.
If made from white metal, then a definite no as they'd be nearly as weak as the styrene struts.
If I decide to replace them it'll be with rod and formed tube, as I've done on many of my models,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2022, 06:21:44 AM »
Hi Rich,
'Aerocraft Models' advertise Brass struts for the Fokker E.V that possibly could be used.
However, finding a retailer that has them in stock is tricky.
Anyway, my guess is that they are casts of the kit parts and probably not that good.
If made from white metal, then a definite no as they'd be nearly as weak as the styrene struts.
If I decide to replace them it'll be with rod and formed tube, as I've done on many of my models,

Mike

They may acrually cast the kit‘s parts, but they cast them in brass. I don’t have the Fokker struts, but I do have some undercarriage struts for an I-16 and an I-153 and contrary to white metal parts, these brass parts from Aerocraft models are very sturdy.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2022, 08:48:57 PM »
Hi Andreas,
I must admit I've not seen the 'Aerocraft' cast struts, but as you say, in Brass they should be much stronger than white metal version from other sellers.
I have some white metal sets and would never use them as they are too soft and bend easily.
The photographs of the Brass sets indicate that the castings may need to be cleaned up, which is understandable,

Mike 

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 03:10:41 AM »
Not sure what the percieved problem with the struts is. I found them perfectly suitable and strong enough when I made mine a few years ago. It was the first 1/32 kit I made on returning to the hobby so I'd likely have hit a problem if there were one - but the kit struts worked fine. It's over in the specific builds section if anybody's interested. (I don't want to photobomb Mike's post.)
Sandy

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2022, 04:52:55 AM »
Hi Sandy,
The upper wing is styrene and in two halves and therefore hollow when assembled.
My assumption is that weight on the struts shouldn't be a problem.
However the kit struts do seem to be fairly thin and possibly weak.
That said, they should be OK with careful handling once fitted.
I'll see how it goes but if I'm in any doubt, I'll make replacements,

Mike

Offline Dannyo

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2022, 07:09:39 AM »
I just heard from Alex @ Proper Plane , He & family  are doing fine and taking orders thru Pay Pal.

Offline iamjohnsname

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2022, 08:18:16 AM »

I’ve got almost all of the kits in Mike’s back catalogue sitting on my shelf to be built. And in so many of your great build logs Mike, you suggest replacing the struts - but I haven’t a clue how I’ll do it without one of the Cutter and Strutter tools you have.

Maybe it’s time we all start petitioning you to go into business selling replacement brass struts!

Or I could just buy a vise and give it a go myself, I suppose!

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2022, 09:03:55 AM »
Hi all,
A while back I emailed 'Albion Alloy's' to ask if their 'Strutter' tool would be made available again.
I was told yes but as yet nothing and their tools site is down.
However, there is a 3D printed alternative made by Bob Monroe at 'Shapeways.
Used in a normal vice.
I've not used them so can't vouch for how good they are.
But the price (less shipping) is reasonable.

Mike

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N6N2WG6JA/1-32-fokker-d-vii-quot-strut-smasher-quot-tool?li=user-profile&optionId=59004921

Offline Europapete

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 01:48:10 AM »
oops, redundant post
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 01:53:59 AM by Europapete »

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 06:00:49 AM »
Hi all,
It's been a few weeks since my last post.
Real life sometimes takes up time.
Anyway, here's a list of the basic work.

''Gaspatch' replacement weapons.
Kit gun support bar replaced with brass tubing.
'DR.1 'PART' photo-etch, some cockpit detail added.
''Aviattic' replacement resin seat.
''Aviattic' faded four colour lozenge.
 'Airscale' instrument decals.
Mono-filament and tubing fitted for rudder, elevator and aileron control cables.
Tubing added from throttle quadrant.
Gun synchronization cables added.
Engine bulkhead rear edge filled to allow for the 'Aviattic' engine cowl retaining band.
Added the wind baffle above the seat frame.

Still a way to go before the fuselage build is done, including fitting the weapons,

Mike

« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:00:28 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
Shaping up nicely Mike

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .