Author Topic: 1:32nd scale Fokker D.VI  (Read 7415 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
1:32nd scale Fokker D.VI
« on: March 13, 2022, 12:21:05 AM »
Hi all,
As the Camel conversion to the 'Comic' night fighter is near completion, It's time for the next model.
I have plenty of 'Wingnut Wings', 'Copper State Models', 'Lukgraph' and others in my stash.
However, I thought this time I make the 'Roden' 1:32nd scale Fokker D.VI.

The kit supplied decals, apart from being Roden, are of schemes I'm not keen on, especially the 'Fratz' scheme.
Instead I'll have a go at the following, even though there's very little information on its colour scheme.
I've found only one photograph, one old colour profile and the box art.
I know from the 'Windsock' data file the types of lozenge used so it's just a case of picking what colour to paint the engine cowl.

Mike

Fokker D.VI of Kest 1a (Home Defence) Staffeln, operating from Mannheim in South-West Germany during the Summer of 1918.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:05:50 PM by Mike 'Sandbagger' Norris »

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1:32nd scale Fokker D.VI
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 12:31:29 AM »
I am certainly looking forward to this one. This is one Roden kit I haven't tackled yet but hope to this year.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 01:48:55 AM »
Not subject often seen , following along Mike

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 10:23:30 PM »
A great choice of subject - and the kit will respond so well to your amazing refining and detailing, Mike! I will be following closely.... Marc.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 01:36:22 AM »
Looking forward to this one, Mike: One if my great favourites since my boyhood-days! Unfortunately not to many individual machines known. I have Roden's kit in my stash and although I am a „KEST-buff“ 😁, I‘ll probably make my D.VI a hungarian „Commie“ - just for a difference..
Richard

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 07:06:21 AM »
Excellent! I'm rather fond of the D.VI - it looks "right" to me. I'm keen to see you work your magic!

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 08:23:23 AM »
A very clean looking fighter the D.VI, a great subject. Certainly looking forward to seeing the build. My guess on the colour on the engine cowel, for what it is worth, would be yellow since this colour is very light in black and white photos and it appears slightly darker than the 'obvious' white bits elsewhere on the photo.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 10:08:29 AM »
I'm really glad to see you are doing this kit Mike. I have this in the stash and it's always been one of those "I'll get to it later" ideas.

Now you are putting it right in front of us, I'll follow your build with much interest.

It's good to see Roden kits getting some more attention these days.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 09:03:21 PM »
A very clean looking fighter the D.VI, a great subject. Certainly looking forward to seeing the build. My guess on the colour on the engine cowel, for what it is worth, would be yellow since this colour is very light in black and white photos and it appears slightly darker than the 'obvious' white bits elsewhere on the photo.
Alan.

Hi Alan,
Yes it's the always present problem when looking at orthochromatic film, the most widely available film during the first World War.
Some actual colours are difficult to define, unless they are supported with unquestionable proof.
The representation of colours such as blue, green or yellow could for instance, look like shades of white.
The 'Comic is a good example, where the known blue stripe on the rudder matches what appears to be white markings on the fuselage.

As for the Fokker D.VI I agree that the engine cowl is a darker shade than that of the rudder, which would probably have been the standard white.

Below are representations of actual colours compared to the same but as orthochromatic film.
Using these as a guide, the nearest 'shade' matching the engine cowl in the photograph is yellow.

Here's a shot of a Fokker E.V which was known to have a yellow cowl and fuselage marking.

Lacking any positive proof I'd agree with you, that the cowl was most likely a shade of yellow,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline jamieg

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 05:01:51 AM »
The struts on this kit need to be beefed up or replaced with something more solid. The upper wing is way too heavy for the flimsy plastic and the landing gear struts are wobbly even before you attach the top wing. When I did mine, I assembled it in a jig. When I took it out and sat it on the table, the weight of the top wing caused a complete collapse of the upper wing and that stress caused the landing gear to collapse...

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 05:14:32 AM »
Hi all,
The engine has been finished with just 'EZ' line ignition leads added.
I've test fitted the engine to the kit bulkhead and the replacement 'Aviattic' resin engine cowl has been test fitted.
I'll be using the kit propeller as, due to the problems in Europe, sadly I can't get a 'Heine' wood propeller from 'Proper Plane',

Mike

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 05:16:56 AM »
The struts on this kit need to be beefed up or replaced with something more solid. The upper wing is way too heavy for the flimsy plastic and the landing gear struts are wobbly even before you attach the top wing. When I did mine, I assembled it in a jig. When I took it out and sat it on the table, the weight of the top wing caused a complete collapse of the upper wing and that stress caused the landing gear to collapse...

Hi Jamieg
Yes I did wonder when I looked at the kit struts.
I've made brass tube struts for many of my models, so most likely this one will be no different,

Mike

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 07:11:07 AM »
Fascinating analysis, and that colour wheel(?) is a handy tool to help decrypt these old photos.

Lacking any positive proof I'd agree with you, that the cowl was most likely a shade of yellow
Plus yellow just looks so good against lozenge! I vote yellow.

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 07:45:00 AM »
Fascinating analysis, and that colour wheel(?) is a handy tool to help decrypt these old photos.

Lacking any positive proof I'd agree with you, that the cowl was most likely a shade of yellow
Plus yellow just looks so good against lozenge! I vote yellow.

Yes interesting use of dope on the wheels.
The lined wheel covers were normally painted with dark green or had an olive green outer rim with a lighter green centre. Some aircraft had wheel covers of lozenge linen.

ike

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 05:48:10 PM »

Jamieg, I am wondering, whether these brass-(cabane-)struts for the Dr.I might also fit the D.VI?
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aerocraft-acm32fos-fokker-dri-triplane-brass-struts--1316237