Author Topic: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP  (Read 19620 times)

Offline phs Paddy

Re: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 05:22:12 AM »
Im off to buy Vallejo paint...think I spelled that wrong....

The spelling looks right. It’s the correct pronunciation that gets me. Do we have a figure lurking there Steve?  ;)   

I decided to post the following in the hopes that it would encourage those of you who have considered starting a figure project but hesitate. Most of you know more about colour and applying paint at a level I will never reach and I wanted to show you what you can expect to do or exceed the first time out using acrylics following Mario Fuentes article and being patient.

This was my first and preceding attempt and it was done following Mario’s tutorial and using Vallejo paint. If you can follow a cookbook you can accomplish what will be a very nice painted figure.

(This photo is of a resin figure I started with some time ago of a French Tank Commander of WWII.)

(The following two photos are how I finished up the body.)

Anyway, I wanted you to see what is possible without waiting for me to finish this project. But don’t go away, I enjoy your interest and hope I may make a contribution for you in some manner. 

We have some grand WWI war in the air figures being released, and with fingers crossed, hopefully we’re going to see more in the near future.

It’s going to be fun to have Des, Chris and other members joining in and enjoying this part of our hobby too. After all, we need pilots, observers and ground crew for our machines.  :D

You don’t need a magic decoder ring to learn, well maybe when you start doing the eyes.  ::)  ;D ;D ;D

Paddy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:50:33 AM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 06:07:07 AM »
I always wanted to put a figure with a model a/c to give it life. I just never seem to get around to it.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
It’s going to be fun to have Des, Chris and other members joining in and enjoying this part of our hobby too. After all, we need pilots, observers and ground crew for our machines.  :D

You don’t need a magic decoder ring to learn, well maybe when you start doing the eyes.  ::)  ;D ;D ;D

You did a fine job with that French tanker's uniform Paddy!

Did I say that I ordered a figure?? Sometimes I talk too much and live to regret it. This could be one of those times.   ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »
Well between you and Des' mention of that 'Let's Go' miniature, now you have me thinking about trying my hand at painting one of these infernal figures again. I just came home from the LHS armed with Vallejo's #341, 342 and 343 as a starting point for a face, along with a bottle of their retarder, just in case. Now I'm off to order that figure.

Cheers,

Chris

Please check the above.  ;D ;D ;D

You did a fine job with that French tanker's uniform Paddy!

Did I say that I ordered a figure?? Sometimes I talk too much and live to regret it. This could be one of those times.   ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Paddy  :)

P.S. I'm afraid I fall into the shoot, ready aim catagory.  :o

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:50:54 AM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
looking splendid so far paddy. i have just finished my first figure. its the richthofen bust from the dml kit. the hardest part for me by far was being happy with the skin tone/shading. i had to remove the paint 4 times trying diff techniques. i tryed acrylics 2x oils once and ended up with enamels. i guess it turned out ok in the end cuz i one 1st place bust and 1st overall figure last month at my local ipms contest. i ended up getting the best results from doing an acrylic basecoat for the basic skin color and with a cup of thinner a 3-4 diff enamels melted on the shading. that way i got fairly smooth blending. i guess thats how i'll do it from now on.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Congratulations Scott, great first effort! It sounds like you have found a good technique and paint for doing your skin and faces. There are a number of painters that will do the main part of the figure in acrylics and then switch to artist oils for face and hands. The enamels would give you the same sort of blending options I would think.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a peek at my effort and again “good show” on your work. That’s grand.  :)

Paddy

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
i guess it turned out ok in the end cuz i one 1st place bust and 1st overall figure last month at my local ipms contest.

Congratulations Scott! Very well done.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 03:10:19 AM »
Here you go Lord Buckles.  ;) Hope I captured what you were looking for. Let me know if I succeeded and if not I’ll try again.

Here is the marking that I wish to duplicate taped to my small drafting board, which is a rectangle of porcelain tile.

Using a couple of my old see through drafting tools, triangle for a straight edge, and a small French Curve, I trace my marking to the masking tape applied to wax paper and then secured over the tracing paper I used to make my original drawing.

After transferring the marking to the masking tape I remove the wax paper with the masking tape and secure over a firm flat cardboard which will serve as my cutting mat. I then cutout free hand the marking using a new Excel #11 blade. Use only enough pressure to cut through the masking tape and wax paper in one pass.

Now remove from the cutting mat leaving the marking mask still sticking to the wax paper. I’ll then apply it to the object by pulling back the wax paper a little at a time as I stick the mask to proper location, Albatros rudder in this case.

TTFN,
Paddy  :) 

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
Hi Paddy,
 Thanks for taking the time to post this up.
This seems to be the exact same method I used on reproducing the markings for my Pfalz DIII.
Great minds think alike  ;D

Cheers old bean!
Von Buckle  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
Hi Paddy,
 Thanks for taking the time to post this up.
This seems to be the exact same method I used on reproducing the markings for my Pfalz DIII.
Great minds think alike  ;D

Cheers old bean!
Von Buckle  :)

Hi Robert,

It could well be that I read your procedure sometime back and it was just waiting to be used. I was surprised that the steps came to mind so quickly and worked out so well. That’s unusual for me so, I would say there’s a very good chance you planted the seed and in that case I owe you a bit of thanks.  :)

Cheers old boy,
Paddy

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 07:31:09 AM »
Always a pleasure, never a chore  ;D
Keep going, friend  ;)

Von Bobski

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2012, 06:36:53 AM »
In the following photos I’ve started to prepare those parts that will simulate leather. I decided to AB a sub-base of Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow before brushing on the first Vallejo base colour. I did mask the hands and trousers with Parafilm “M” before spraying. The trousers will receive a different sub-base colour.

Photo #2 is of the parts after receiving their first base colour that was applied with a #4 shader, or flat brush. The base colour mix is -

75% Vallejo 70871 Leather Brown
25% Vallejo 70977 Desert Yellow
This mix was thinned 1 part paint to 2 parts water.

One or two more base coats will be applied before starting to highlight and shadow the leather componets.

Paddy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
Nice work. The paint layers build up ok? I find even after drying acrils go soft with the next layer.

Steve

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 07:40:51 AM »
Nice progress Paddy.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 08:38:10 AM »
Watching with interest Paddy!

Cheers,

Chris