Author Topic: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP  (Read 19628 times)

Offline keith_christie

Re: R.F.C. Pilot & Trophy 1917 vignette WIP
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »
Really nice progress Paddy.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 03:37:55 AM »
Really nice progress Paddy.

Best Regards

Keith

Thanks for that Keith.

I've now changed the trouser colour for the third time and I'm happier now.  :D I'll post another photo when I make a little more progress in that area.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
Looking very good Paddy, I'm interested to see what your final colour is for the trousers. I actually liked the colour you used in post #68, but you have a much better idea of what the colour is supposed to look like.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »
This is looking really good now Paddy, a source of inspiration when I start doing my mechanic.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »
Looking very good Paddy, I'm interested to see what your final colour is for the trousers. I actually liked the colour you used in post #68, but you have a much better idea of what the colour is supposed to look like.

Des.

Thanks Des. That was Vallejo’s cork brown and when looking back I too like the way it looked in the photo. But, when I was studying it on the bench I just wasn’t happy for some reason....... Doh?  :-\

Now, as far as what the colour should look like, is like asking a gent if he can see anything outside from the inside of his hood closed Link trainer, as he spins to earth. It’s a stab in the dark for me.  ;D ;D ;D 

Paddy  :)

P.S. That cork brown does have good possibilities for a certain Hille Miniaturen.  :) 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:15:10 PM by phs Paddy »
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:21 PM »
Thanks Pete.

The Mechanic is just what the doctor ordered. Looking forward to getting a peek at him with the Albatros. I have no doubt that it’s going to be a great scene. "Thumbs up mate"!  :)

Paddy 

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »
Finally I’ve settled on the colour for the chap’s trousers after three changes.  :o  :P The colours used are all Vallejo.

Base         70988 Khaki
Highlight   70976 Buff
Shadow    70941  Burnt Umber

Here’s some views of the old boy and as you can see he’s a bit to the gloss side at this point
but I’ll be adding a varnish coat to reduce that a little later.

I’m now ready to attach the upper body and then position his right arm and hand for holding the rudder.

Any questions or comments are always welcome.  :)

Paddy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:42:31 AM by phs Paddy »

Offline keith_christie

« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
Nice Progress Paddy,
The trousers look much better in those tones.
Keep up the good work.

Best Regards

Keith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2012, 10:38:34 PM »
Thanks Keith. I was beginning to feel that the trousers had turned into a career.
I’m anxious to get after the jacket area now. 

Paddy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2012, 07:50:20 AM »
As mentioned the trouser colour looks good and it is an excellent combination with the boot colour.

Steve

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
Thanks for that Steve. I thought I was going to wear out a brush on those breeches.  ;D

It's good to move onto the upper half now.  :)

Paddy

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
Well Paddy, the bottom half looks excellent, your colour choice is spot on with a great contrast between trousers and boots, I'm now looking forward to see what the top half turns out like, thanks for this superb tutorial.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2012, 09:53:40 PM »
Nice job Paddy. Please tell me this isn't your first figure painting job!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2012, 04:51:36 AM »
Well Paddy, the bottom half looks excellent, your colour choice is spot on with a great contrast between trousers and boots, I'm now looking forward to see what the top half turns out like, thanks for this superb tutorial.

Des.

Thanks for that Des and you're very welcome. I do hope it maybe of some help to someone. It's a fun part of our hobby and hope others get interested enough to give it a go too.  :)

Paddy

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2012, 04:54:37 AM »
Nice job Paddy. Please tell me this isn't your first figure painting job!  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris. Now for the rest of the story which I’m sure you wanted to hear.  ;) No it’s my second, that is since I got started modeling again, which was about four years ago. I made two figure attempts in early 1970 and I was not pleased. Thought I would like to try it again one day though. So, this makes my fourth attempt.  ;D

Finding and using Mario Fuentes tutorial made me think that I could learn and maybe improve if I kept trying. So, I can not recommend the tutorial enough for a beginner if one will just have the patience and give it a go. He really did a great service for all of us who wanted to try just as Des has with all those wonderful tutorials he shares with us on his website.

Paddy :)

P.S. I still have those two original figures, one is of the Freiherr von Richthofen, which IMO is the best small sculpture of Manfred I have ever seen to this day. The other one is of a German fighter pilot in WWII. They came from a grand hobby shop in North Hollywood, California those many years ago. Ah, there were some grand walk-in shops in those days.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:26:21 AM by phs Paddy »